Connecting USB 3.0 to 1Gbit Ethernet adapter to Android TV (Sony XH95)

Wierzbak

Is it possible to find an adapter that would plug into my TV via USB and provide 1Gbit Ethernet connection on the other end? I need something like that because the Ethernet port in the TV is only 100Mbit, and that's not enough for 4K Blu-ray rips.

1 minute ago, Wierzbak said:

I know such adapters exist. But will they be compatible with the TV?

short answer, yes

17 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

short answer, yes

Is it something you've tested? Usually TVs are picky about that sort of hardware, so I wouldn't be so quick to say it would work. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

19 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Is it something you've tested? Usually TVs are picky about that sort of hardware, so I wouldn't be so quick to say it would work. 

The device itself does all the adapting. To the TV it shows up as any other usb device, and it’s not that complicated, no prerequisites needed on the TV

35 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

The device itself does all the adapting. To the TV it shows up as any other usb device, and it’s not that complicated, no prerequisites needed on the TV

Are you talking about adapters like that in general, or this particular one? Cause I've done some research and haven't found anyone who would be successful with adapters like that and Sony TVs, yet plenty of people who were not so successful.

1 minute ago, Wierzbak said:

Are you talking about adapters like that in general, or this particular one? Cause I've done some research and haven't found anyone who would be successful with adapters like that and Sony TVs, yet plenty of people who were not so successful.

Unless there is something specifically stopping them, they should work.

Did sony disable some functionality of the port? That’s quite odd

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

Unless there is something specifically stopping them, they should work.

Did sony disable some functionality of the port? That’s quite odd

From what I've read they've stripped Android from drivers

18 hours ago, dilpickle said:

I doubt a TV will support Ethernet over USB.

So basically I have a new 4K TV that won't let me stream 4K BRips over local network? Sweet.

2 hours ago, Wierzbak said:

So basically I have a new 4K TV that won't let me stream 4K BRips over local network? Sweet.

Yeah same here. My $1300 LG C9 only has 100 Mbps whereas my $400 Sammy with worse image quality comes with 1 Gbps. I mean, realistcally most people are using streaming services and hence will pretty much never need more than a 100 Mbps connection, but it's still a bit surprising to me as well.

In any case, I'd just try my luck with an adapter. There have been examples of it working: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/cg0y03/someone_got_a_usb_gigabit_ethernet_adapter/ but it seems to be a little bit hit or miss. Even if it won't give you full gigabit, it may give you more than 100 Mbit which is really the main point. The alternative would be a streaming box like an Nvidia Shield that has gigabit to run Plex and just sends the picture to your TV, but that'll mean an additional device.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I will try this on my TVs for u and let u know, I ran across my ethernet to USB adapter the other day and it will only take a sec

On 4/13/2021 at 7:02 AM, slamuffin said:

I will try this on my TVs for u and let u know, I ran across my ethernet to USB adapter the other day and it will only take a sec

How did it go? I've found kinda a solution that kinda works. Turns out that the modem/router provided by my ISP is trash and its WiFi slows down the higher the uptime. So If I restart it I can get around 200-300Mbps on my TV over 5Ghz network for a few hours, which is just enough time to watch a flick

• 4 months later...

I have a SONY Bravia X85J model 2021 with the Android version 10.

I tried the Amazon Gigabit Ethernet to USB, UGREEN HUB with Ethernet Adapter (AX88179) but doesn't work at all (Probably missing driver)

I installed the USB dongle TP-Link UE300 with the RTL8153 chips and it's working on my new Sony Bravia TV 2021 :

Basically, it seems that you need one compatible with Chrome OS which the UE300 is.

I plugged in the TP-Link UE300 on the USB 3.0 port

I disabled wifi in the settings

I restarted the TV and it's online with the gigabit port on the usb

I can reach 500 mb/sec in download (which is my internet speed)

Netflix is a little bit faster in buffering

Some people has also used the same USB ethernet dongle on others Sony TV model see :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/usb-3-0-gigabit-adapter/td-p/3804870/page/2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:06 PM, xWiLdx said:

I have a SONY Bravia X85J model 2021 with the Android version 10.

I tried the Amazon Gigabit Ethernet to USB, UGREEN HUB with Ethernet Adapter (AX88179) but doesn't work at all (Probably missing driver)

I installed the USB dongle TP-Link UE300 with the RTL8153 chips and it's working on my new Sony Bravia TV 2021 :

Basically, it seems that you need one compatible with Chrome OS which the UE300 is.

I plugged in the TP-Link UE300 on the USB 3.0 port

I disabled wifi in the settings

I restarted the TV and it's online with the gigabit port on the usb

I can reach 500 mb/sec in download (which is my internet speed)

Netflix is a little bit faster in buffering

Some people has also used the same USB ethernet dongle on others Sony TV model see :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/usb-3-0-gigabit-adapter/td-p/3804870/page/2

I abandoned this idea. I just restart my router weekly and it's good enough even for a 90Mbps files, so I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

Hi
I read you. I have a XH9096 television. I installed Android 10 on it and bought a TP-Link UE 300. I plugged it in and it works. Now gigabites on the LAN.
Sony Bravia KD 85XH9096 BAEP
Bravia VH1 Android 10
Kernel 4.19.75
OS build 10QTG3.200.305.006.575.612881
THX SONY!

• 1 month later...

I have a Nokia 50 inch 4K tv. USB ethernet seems to be blocked and tech support confirms its blocked. They cannot confirm why (typical 😕). Any ideas what I can do here? Its an android TV btw. Don't want to root it because that creates more issues and I have 3 year warranty on this thing.

@xWiLdx Appreciate your feedback brother however can you mention your android, kernel & os build. I'm rocking a x80j and since the x85j & x80j are like siblings(almost), would like to get a confirmation that's all as the cost of the adapter in Malaysia definitely isn't as direct conversion if comparing to pricing on Newegg for example.

My current setup is 

Sony X80J

Bravia VH2 Android 10

September 1 2021 security patch

Kernel 4.19.75

OS build 10 QTG3.200305.006.S88 642841

@Scansat wow. that's awesome buddy it worked for you

Hmm @thegreatone82, I do not know about nokia making TV's and rooting a tv might be a step too far as the stand on rooting your device is uncertain(warranty wise). Suggest to get an android box with the only disadvantage is additional cable setup. Maybe looking into tv boxes with S905X3 chipset as they can output 1gig Ethernet. However drm is widevine l3 so keep that in mind. Example would be Vontar x3 from aliexpress. 

• 1 month later...

I'm late commenting but have zero problems using a 1GB Ethernet adapter with my Sony 75" Bravia XR X90J in the Blue inner tab USB3.0 port. I did try it in the USB 2.0 port & the download speed was about the same as the Ethernet port which is a 10/100MB/s.

Key is to make sure you enable the Developer Mode.

Also I was disappointed in using a Flash Drive in the USB 2.0 port. Apps had a tendency to lag. Have yet to try with a USB 3.0 hub in the USB 3.0 port.

Yes, there is a substantial difference in which port you use.

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, curiousmind34 said:

How does the TV recognize the 1GB adapter?  I plugged in the adapter but no signal.  Please help.  Thank you!

On 10/17/2023 at 11:46 PM, LabMonkey said:

How does the TV recognize the 1GB adapter?  I plugged in the adapter but no signal.  Please help.  Thank you!

Someone commented that the developer mode need to be enabled for the network adapter to work