Looking for a good Cherry MX Key Switch Tester

soldier_ph

Hey can any of you recommend me a good Cherry MX Key Switch Tester with all Switches on it so Black, Blue, Green, Red, Brown, Silver and Grey ?(and the speed Versions of those) I would like to be able to buy that at a reasonable price on Amazon. I would like to have all of the popular Cherry Switches to try out side by side so that I can determine if I want to either buy an off the shelf Keyboard or build one from scratch, my main use case would be couch/bed gaming so I don't know how that would work with a Custom Keyboard. Have been looking at Solutions like the Corsair Lapdog and the one from Roccat. If you could also find good Switch Testers from the likes of Novelkeys than that would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Switch testers are not an accurate representation of what a switch will feel like to use in day-to-day use, never mind that an actual keyboard will sound different and potentially feel different (keeping in mind that these two things vary wildly between boards).

I would get a hotswap board of some sort (GMMK or some Aliexpress 60%) and try a full keyboard of switches in that instead. Cherry ones are quite shit so I'd look into other brands. I'm guessing you want cheaper stuff so for clicky I'd get BOX White, for linear Gat Yellow (or Ink Blacks if you can sqeeze them in your budget), and for tactiles I'm honestly not sure, maybe someone else can suggest.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I personally have the GMMK TKL chassis with ZealPC Healio v2 Silent linear switches and they're great. Some people are detracted by the heavier spring at 67g, but I dont really find it a problem. I had Gateron Silent browns as well before the Healio and they're not bad. They are actually lighter feeling than the healio and while "tactile" there is not a large bump you can really feel when actuating. The bump is also at about half travel. 

But i do agree with Kelvin, switch testers will not do anything proper justice because every chassis is different in terms of sound isolation/dampening, construction etc.. so switches will have different sounds between the boards. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Switches tester a kinda a waste of money like they said ... the best thing to do is to test switches in a hotswappable board.

as for tactile switches suggestions I will suggest what has been suggested to me by the others and it's the durock t1. 

so far I've tried the cherry brown (awful), kailh speed copper (their only downside is spring ping), kailh box burnt orange (great) and kailh silent box brown (great too).

I the ones I've tried I would suggest the box burnt orange if you want a bit heavier spring and rounded distinct tactile bump. 

The kailh silent box brown have a way sharper bump and they feel really nice, they are silenced tho so they won't produce much sound. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Yeah I know that Switch Testers aren't that great but I rather buy one instead of a full blown Keyboard to try out Switches.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.