Opinion on taking off a cpu fan

Hey people. I'm making a tiny pc. Its going to be about three inches tall. Please don't judge me for asking this. Would taking off stock intel cpu cooler fan and putting a 120mm fan about a half inch to an inch above the heat sink be enough to cool it? Im using a 35 watt cpu. I'm running a pico psu and an ssd.

8 minutes ago, Wingnut85 said:

Hey people. I'm making a tiny pc. Its going to be about three inches tall. Please don't judge me for asking this. Would taking off stock intel cpu cooler fan and putting a 120mm fan about a half inch to an inch above the heat sink be enough to cool it? Im using a 35 watt cpu. I'm running a pico psu and an ssd.

I think it should be fine.  The fan doesn't actually need to touch the heat sink but it does need to provide airflow.  120mm should work. 

It may or may not work, as the fans on the heat sink generally force air into the fins, but a general all purpose fan might not have enough pressure to do that.

This is the concept used in servers, where super powerful fans blast air with so much pressure, that a fan on the cooler would impede airflow. It’s also why specific fans are used for specific reasons, like a radiator using a static pressure fan to force air through the rad.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming