Need help! LG GL850-B monitor goes to sleep

Jhart1992

I bought two LG GL850-B monitors and when I plug them in they worked fine. After a few hours, they both turn off at the same time and tell me the Display port version is incorrect and I can not get them to wake back up. Unplugging the Displayport cables does nothing, unplugging them and plugging them back in does nothing. Using different Display port cables does nothing. The setting is set to 1.4 and toggling between the settings will not wake it either. The only solution I have found is a hard shutdown of the PC. After doing so, the monitors will work again for a few more hours. Any suggestions?

Specs:

3080 Gigabyte GPU

5800X CPU

16 gigs 3200Mhz RAM

MSI B550 mobo

Have you tried running one monitor only, to see if the same thing happens.  Sounds like a possible driver issue, if running one monitor does the same thing I'd try another gpu to see if it does it on a different card.

Update 4/9/21

This is a new pre-built from NZXT and I am using 2 of these LG monitors for further clarification. It needed some Windows updates which I installed. The problem persisted. I tried using HDMI and the problem persisted. I looked in event viewer and noticed that dwm.exe was giving me an error saying it was crashing at around the time my monitor would lose signal. After some googling, I found some others have at least had the same problem as me where dwm.exe would crash and their monitors would lose signal. I am still a little unsure what the exact problem is that is leading to the crash but one other user suggested changing my power setting to high performance. At the time of writing, about an hour and a half after changing this setting, I have not experienced a crash and have put the system under a pretty good load. I will update of this fix continues to work.

That's interesting because your gpu should only draw what it needs from the psu I don't see how putting it in high performance mode effects tgp.  Did your pre-built come with the 3080 or did you add it afterwards?  What's the rated wattage on your psu?  It's possible that the new monitors are taxing your gpu more and the psu can't keep up but without knowing how much your previous setup drew I would just be making conjecture at this point.  Either way update if it fixed your problem I'm planning on running dual GL850's also.

Update 4/12/21:

I played WoW last night for about an hour and a half just running around trying to trigger the issue again. It didn't come up. I then left my computer to mine ETH all night which has triggered it before and I came back this morning and it was working fine. It has been stable for about 20 hours now. For now, it seems the power setting did the trick which is a bit weird. I will come back again and update further if the problem pops up again. I suppose my next step if it did lose signal would be to try an older nvidia driver and do a DDU clean install of it. 

I am using a 750W seasonic PSU. Should be plenty of power there. Additionally, my monitors are on a separate power strip than my PC. There shouldn't be a lack of power problem I would think. Further googling last night had me believe that a Windows update changed the way desktop windows manager works and now causes weird problems to appear with displays. I am really unsure of the mechanics going on in the background but a high performance power setting does seem to be a working fix.

-Jason H.

Update 4/13/21:

Computer has now been running for over 48 hours without issue. Apparently the Windows power settings have way more control of your system than I first thought. Will drop by if something comes up but for now, consider this thread CLOSED!

-Jason H.

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 6:08 PM, Jhart1992 said:

Update 4/13/21:

Computer has now been running for over 48 hours without issue. Apparently the Windows power settings have way more control of your system than I first thought. Will drop by if something comes up but for now, consider this thread CLOSED!

-Jason H.

i had just recently purchased this monitor - refurbed I am having the same issue as you. After using this monitor there is no way I am going back to 1080p so a troubleshooting method like yours provides me hope as i dont want to return this monitor! Jason, has this windows fix fixed this issue with the monitor. I had the same thing, i was playing apex legends and all of a sudden my monitor turned off, OSD not responding and not turning on however hours later it works again. If you are still active please let me know if it does, if it does not I shall just return this monitor! 

Thanks 

Manny