Pop/Click sound when clicking on any Forum link.

Derkoli
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

The forum opens an audio context when the page loads, to use for notification sounds, and I suspect the sound is being caused by something in the audio stack switching on to handle that. It only happens if you're logged in, which will be why you didn't encounter it on the Aida64 forums. You can turn off notification sounds in https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/ if you want, which should solve it.

Browser, version and OS: 

Windows 10, newest build.

Firefox 87.

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Clicking on any topic, sub-forum, profile, status update. Basically anything causes this issue.

What happened?

When clicking on any link on this forum, except external links, my audio equipment produces a small pop/click sound. It's fairly faint but definitely audible. I've singled it down to this forum only, as all other websites do not produce this sound. It also isn't a problem with my computer, as both of my PC's do this, regardless of audio settings or DAC used.

What did you expect to happen?

I expect no noise to occur.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Any other relevant details:

This happens with any of my DAC's, regardless of any of their settings. It's a REALLY weird issue, and only occurs on this website. The only way to stop the noise is setting my audio output to a DAC I'm not using, and let programs, such as Tidal or Avid Pro Tools to take exclusive control of the DAC I am using.

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Interesting. Not that I can see why it'd be Invision causing the problem, but do you get the same thing on https://forums.aida64.com/? They use the same software, so curious to see if it happens there.

Are you using any browser extensions?

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Interesting. Not that I can see why it'd be Invision causing the problem, but do you get the same thing on https://forums.aida64.com/? They use the same software, so curious to see if it happens there.

Are you using any browser extensions?

Not occuring on the Aida64 forum, only here.

Only browser extension I have is ADBlocker Ultimate, and it's disabled on this forum.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Definitely curious... Do you know if this happened when you upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10? (Build number may be helpful) My PC here is still on Win 10 Enterprise version 2004 build 19041.804 and I also use Firefox 87. Using uBlock Origin and Dark Reader with no noticeable pops/clicking.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Definitely curious... Do you know if this happened when you upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10? (Build number may be helpful) My PC here is still on Win 10 Enterprise version 2004 build 19041.804 and I also use Firefox 87. Using uBlock Origin and Dark Reader with no noticeable pops/clicking.

It's happened for pretty much the entire time I've been on the forums.

The forum opens an audio context when the page loads, to use for notification sounds, and I suspect the sound is being caused by something in the audio stack switching on to handle that. It only happens if you're logged in, which will be why you didn't encounter it on the Aida64 forums. You can turn off notification sounds in https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/ if you want, which should solve it.

HTTP/2 203

38 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That has seemed to have sorted it.

Thanks for the answer 🙂