Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it safe to jump start a 2nd psu while your pc is running?

I build my first dual psu system and my second psu is plugged into my gpu. I was confused as to why my gpu wasnt powering on after i hit my power button on the case, first psu has the 24pin connected to the mobo, then i realized i needed to jump start the 2nd psu by shorting 2 pins on the 24pin connector. If it safe to jump the second psu while my computer is on?

 

Ive seen these dual bridge jumpers to start both PSUs at the same time but if i dont need to buy one that be great

Link to post
Share on other sites

pardon... but why do you have multiple PSU's in one system?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Gigabyte 1660s OC -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB - Asus Strix 1070Ti -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

 

CrumpleBox.2: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  4GB Patriot Viper DDR4 2133  -  2x Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX  -  Arctic Freezer 34  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

 

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a bad idea in the first place just saying.

If your going this route for the long term just spend the money on the dual jumper.

My recomendation is you sell your 2 psus and get 1 good PSU that can handle your entire system.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this and you have a redundant PSU but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrockleTD said:

pardon... but why do you have multiple PSU's in one system?

The pc originally had a 400w psu. System specs recommended a 750w psu after an upgrade to a new gpu. Bought a cheap 500w psu to make up for the power difference

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drpotatoesquire said:

The pc originally had a 400w psu. System specs recommended a 750w psu after an upgrade to a new gpu. Bought a cheap 500w psu to make up for the power difference

Bad idea........

Sell both of your current PSU's and get a GOOD 750w 80+ bronze or higher from a reputable company.

With this you are asking for a house fire or a ruined computer.

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drpotatoesquire said:

The pc originally had a 400w psu. System specs recommended a 750w psu after an upgrade to a new gpu. Bought a cheap 500w psu to make up for the power difference

That's.. not how you go about that. Buy one proper PSU.

5800x/3090

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Bad idea........

Sell both of your current PSU's and get a GOOD 750w 80+ bronze or higher from a reputable company.

With this you are asking for a house fire or a ruined computer.

But dual psu setup exist. Why cant i make it work. The liam lee dynamic has a case for 2 PSUs. Why cant i do the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, drpotatoesquire said:

The pc originally had a 400w psu. System specs recommended a 750w psu after an upgrade to a new gpu. Bought a cheap 500w psu to make up for the power difference

Sounds like a fire hazard to me

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drpotatoesquire said:

Buth dual psu setup exist. Why cant i make it work. The liam lee dynamic has a case for 2 PSUs. Why cant i do the same?

Not saying it won't work its just not a good idea. If im not mistaken the liam lee is not really designed for what you are trying to do. 

Your asking for trouble with this.

What 2 psus do you have (Just curious)

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SignatureSigner said:

Not saying it won't work its just not a good idea. If im not mistaken the liam lee is not really designed for what you are trying to do. 

Your asking for trouble with this.

What 2 psus do you have (Just curious)

 I love that you both said "liam lee". I'm dead.' 

5800x/3090

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make and model of both psu's?

 

What graphics card?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rickeo said:

 I love that you both said "liam lee". I'm dead.' 

lian li OOF

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Not saying it won't work its just not a good idea. If im not mistaken the liam lee is not really designed for what you are trying to do. 

Your asking for trouble with this.

What 2 psus do you have (Just curious)

2 evga ones

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drpotatoesquire said:

2 evga ones

Do you have exact make and model?

Rating?

Bronze gold white ETC

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

Do you have exact make and model?

Rating?

Bronze gold white ETC

It just says evga w1 white 80+ on the box that i bought. I dont have the box for the first 400w one i have in the case but it also says evga on the psu 80+

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you're not cutting/splicing wires, and you're mounting the PSUs in a protected housing (IE a case that supports two PSUs), and you're plugging things into the PSUs that were intended to be powered by a PC PSU, then there is nothing wrong with this.

I have ran several multi-PSU systems in a few different configs over the years, and never had issues when the PSUs were treated as intended by the manufacturer. You just need a dual PSU cable to ensure they power up at the same time.

 

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-24Pin-Extension-Motherboard/dp/B08XPZCZXH/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dual+psu+jumper&qid=1617984696&sr=8-5

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drpotatoesquire said:

It just says evga w1 white 80+ on the box that i bought. I dont have the box for the first 400w one i have in the case but it also says evga on the psu 80+

My personal recommendation still stands. You risk hardware damage with this approach but its up to you. Buy the jumper if you want but I will not recommend it.  You want a long term solution buy a new psu and sell the older ones. Unless its been done before and worked somthing about turning on a psu to power certain components while others are already on sounds like a bad idea.

Scrapyard wars 3 had this but your on your own for warranties and fires

 

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

As long as you're not cutting/splicing wires, and you're mounting the PSUs in a protected housing (IE a case that supports two PSUs), and you're plugging things into the PSUs that were intended to be powered by a PC PSU, then there is nothing wrong with this.

I have ran several multi-PSU systems in a few different configs over the years, and never had issues when the PSUs were treated as intended by the manufacturer. You just need a dual PSU cable to ensure they power up at the same time.

 

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-24Pin-Extension-Motherboard/dp/B08XPZCZXH/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dual+psu+jumper&qid=1617984696&sr=8-5

Thank you, ill try the bridge

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

My personal recommendation still stands. You risk hardware damage with this approach but its up to you. Buy the jumper if you want but I will not recommend it.  You want a long term solution buy a new psu and sell the older ones. Unless its been done before and worked somthing about turning on a psu to power certain components while others are already on sounds like a bad idea.

Scrapyard wars 3 had this but your on your own for warranties and fires

 

Why? This reminds me of being a teenager in the 90s and being told that flipping the PSU witch on your computer while its on will kill it.

 

No, that's not how it works. What do you think happens when your PC boots up or shuts down? Why would you doing it manually be any different to pressing a switch? In both cases you're creating a short to ground.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites

i get the odd feeling this person is trying to power a 3080 or something similar but couldn't have been bothered to buy 1 decent GPU. alternatively, it's probably thermi in which case no loss of valuable components would occur

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Gigabyte 1660s OC -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  H100i RGB Platinum SE  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  PNY OC GTX 1060 3GB - Asus Strix 1070Ti -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Fractal Design Define C  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

 

CrumpleBox.2: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  4GB Patriot Viper DDR4 2133  -  2x Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX  -  Arctic Freezer 34  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

 

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

My personal recommendation still stands. You risk hardware damage with this approach but its up to you. Buy the jumper if you want but I will not recommend it.  You want a long term solution buy a new psu and sell the older ones. Unless its been done before and worked somthing about turning on a psu to power certain components while others are already on sounds like a bad idea.

Scrapyard wars 3 had this but your on your own for warranties and fires

 

It is better to use jumper than a dul 24pin cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

phanteks have POWER COMBO to use connect two psu to one output. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

My personal recommendation still stands. You risk hardware damage with this approach but its up to you. Buy the jumper if you want but I will not recommend it.  You want a long term solution buy a new psu and sell the older ones. Unless its been done before and worked somthing about turning on a psu to power certain components while others are already on sounds like a bad idea.

Scrapyard wars 3 had this but your on your own for warranties and fires

 

I use 2 psu with a jumper switch I just turn on second psu all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, drpotatoesquire said:

It just says evga w1 white 80+ on the box that i bought. I dont have the box for the first 400w one i have in the case but it also says evga on the psu 80+

So double the fire hazard lol. What's the GPU and CPU you're trying to power with them ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×