Changing 'Location' field to a country dropdown (+ a blank entry)

kingmustard

Most do not seem to use it correctly anyway (which is fine, of course!) 🙂

eb_lttlocation2.png.c8d97b7bb05103cdada9df1c69097572.png

would love to ask why you say "member since 2013" yet you profile says joined 2015

(My best guess is you had another account but derp)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

would love to ask why you say "member since 2013" yet you profile says joined 2015

(My best guess is you had another account but derp)

Good point - how odd!

The main issue I could foresee happening with a location dropdown list, is the whole "Why isn't country X included, I think that is a country!" or the opposite "Why is country Y included, I don't agree that is a country!"

No matter what (standardized) list of 'countries' you decide to pick, there will always be conflicts like this (even if you decide to include a blank entry).

CGP Grey did a good video on this subject "How Many Countries Are There?"

Other than that, I think in many situations, it's not needed to have a location listed. In the cases it is needed/preferred (i.e. a new PC build thread) people can list it if they please.

That's my opinion on the matter.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Most do not seem to use it correctly anyway ☹️

Posting your location on the internet is not a good idea.

Plus I'm not lying, I am in Sol.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, minibois said:

"Why isn't country X included, I think that is a country!" or the opposite "Why is country Y included, I don't agree that is a country!"

Kiryu Coco flashbacks

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Posting your location on the internet is not a good idea.

Ehm, posting like street address or smaller town might not be. Having a country you have most likely hundreds of thousands to millions in population (smaller island nations excluded). For most cases, even having a city is fine. Thats not personal or identifiable information.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have "Not Chicago, Illinois" as my location since I live around there.

That area's so big that even if you could find the rough area I'm in you'd have to sift through hundreds of thousands of people.

elephants

But why? The current system of "put your actual location if you want, perhaps in a jokey way, or put something else if you don't" seems to be working fine as far as I can tell - the main place that people's locations matter is in New Builds and Planning, and the template there already asks for location.

HTTP/2 203