Optimal placement of GPU and M.2 PCIe card for airflow

Etheles

Hey folks,

I just learned that there are LTT forums from one of the videos, and thought to drop by and ask a question about my new build.

Would the placement of the RTX 3080 and M.2 PCIe card have any impact on temperature, considering the case’s airflow? The motherboard has two realistic positions for the GPU to go into (circled in red in image 1), as the Meshify 2 Compact can’t accommodate its size in the third PCIe slot. There are currently three 120mm intake fans on the front, two 140mm exhaust fans on top, and one 120mm exhaust on the back. There’s no bottom 120mm intake because it’s crowded with cables in the PSU shroud.

Would it make an appreciable difference to shift the GPU upwards, considering slot 1 is closer to the case fans doing work, and that the PCIe card currently in slot 1 might obstruct airflow?

Thanks!4317699A-36F7-41A5-9458-C482F4242B3C.thumb.jpeg.e5d4d150a6fe4557dc99a74b844421a0.jpeg

3E390793-061E-44AC-9C08-D5CE6815646E.jpeg

Nice case.

I think the gpu would be better off in pciex16_1.

Why the M.2 PCIe card ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Thanks for the advice.

I have three m.2 drives, and the motherboard only has two slots.

The top slot is where the GPU is supposed to go, so no, no issues with that 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

The GPU’s currently on the middle slot. You also think it’ll work better to swap them?

4 minutes ago, Etheles said:

Thanks for the advice.

I have three m.2 drives, and the motherboard only has two slots.

I'd get rid of one m.2

Anyway it seems to me that small M.2 PCIe card won't block airflow nearly as much as that black desktop bottom.

4 minutes ago, leclod said:

I'd get rid of one m.2

Anyway it seems to me that M.2 PCIe card won't block airflow nearly as much as that black desktop bottom.

Honestly, it’s not a bad idea, since the system drive is only 500 GB. But due to some bad (past) experiences I’ve gotten into the habit of keeping C drive and more important files physically separate (not via partitions). For now I’ll keep all three; I value the peace of mind of being able to format or nuke the OS drive without any concerns about re-downloading games, apps, and whatever.

3 minutes ago, Etheles said:

I’ve gotten into the habit of keeping C drive and my important files physically separate (not via partitions)

I keep my important files doubled on 2 drives (system ssd+hdd) and you have 3 drives. You don't have so much important stuff, have you ?

8 minutes ago, Etheles said:

Honestly,

Ohhhh,

I did miscalculate a little.

That m.2 pcie card ends up awfully close to the gpu, right ?

It’s close, as you can see. I assume it’s getting some of the heat from the GPU exhaust.

8 minutes ago, Etheles said:

It’s close, as you can see. I assume it’s getting some of the heat from the GPU exhaust.

I meant awfully close if you swap.

It won't even fit.

Not necessarily. The PCIe card fits in slot 3; I tested it.

3 minutes ago, Etheles said:

Not necessarily. The PCIe card fits in slot 3; I tested it.

Ok, forgot n°3. But then why the whole trouble ?

1 hour ago, Etheles said:

I value the peace of mind

In that case I would insert the gpu in the 1st slot and the PCIe card in slot3, because now the gpu runs at x8 instead of x16

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

55 minutes ago, Ralf said:

In that case I would insert the gpu in the 1st slot and the PCIe card in slot3, because now the gpu runs at x8 instead of x16

The CPU cooler and the GPU come uncomfortably close, but don’t touch, in this configuration.

Could you clarify what you mean about x8 v. x16? I was under the impression that slots 1 and 2 both go directly to the CPU, and only PCIe slot 3 goes through the chipset. Slot 3 would only get x8 as you said, since presumably it shares bandwidth with the second M.2 slot.

Maybe I should connect the second M.2 drive to the PCIe card?

05218E3C-4743-464F-BF9C-21CF2C5FA3E1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Etheles said:

The CPU cooler and the GPU come uncomfortably close, but don’t touch, in this configuration.

That's the way