Does virtual reality excite/interest you?

Does virtual reality excite/interest you?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the idea of virtual reality interest you?

• Not at all
    • Not in its current state, but maybe in the future
    • Somewhat
    • A lot
  2. 2. Do you currently own a dedicated VR device?

• No, and I don't want one
    • No, but I'm interested in purchasing one
    • Yes, but I don't use it often
    • Yes, and I use it often
  3. 3. What possible uses for VR do you find interesting?

• Dedicated games designed for VR
    • VR content based on existing games
    • Virtually visiting real-life places
    • Military applications
    • Virtual theater experience - movies/plays/musicals in VR
    • Augmented/mixed reality (e.g. Microsoft HoloLens)
    • Other
    • None

For me, not really.

Firstly, in general I don't cope all that well with things designed to fool my brain or make me feel immersed. I'd much prefer my computer content to be kept within that grid of pixels on a screen; I don't want it to feel "real" or immersive. It's a computer game; it belongs on my computer.

Secondly the technology is still doesn't seem very stable. There's not that much VR content that interests me, and the fact that the most popular stuff is owned by Facebook - a company which I avoid like the plague - isn't great.

This is really the first time that technology has broken out of its own little box (the screen) and started to try to not only influence the real world, but be the real world.  I appreciate it's coming; I'm not trying to fight the future here, I just personally am not that excited by it, and I seriously hope VR does not supersede non-VR computing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I find it theoretically interesting for the same type of game I'd run on a triple monitor setup, e.g. racing games. I don't really care for motion controlled novelties that need you to stand up with a clunky blindfold and try not to hit anything. Right now support is poor and the headsets are expensive. When that changes I might consider one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am very much interested in both AR and VR, but the hardware ain't there yet. I'll look into selling my kidneys once there is a wireless VR/AR-set that's comfortable to wear with glasses -- wired one is a no-go and so is an uncomfortable one.

As for what I'd want to use one for: games, movies, TV-shows, virtual sightseeing and educational content. The thing that interests me the most at the moment is being able to explore all sorts of engines, machinery and human-insides in virtual-reality without me having to get my hands dirty -- being able to e.g. take apart some complex device and see all the components in clear, actual 3D with depth-of-vision would help enormously in grasping all the intricacies involved.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I got an Oculus Quest 2 about a week ago, which is how I got my first VR experience. I had some issues the first few days getting used to it, but now I'm much more comfortable with it, playing games and watching stuff, using it daily. It's not enough to fully immerse yourself, but I think it's a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see what the future holds for VR. The Q2 is really popular, we need more devices like it that can help VR become mainstream. Although, I'm quite afraid that FB's shenanigans are ruining VR's image.

🙂

I'm interested, but not spend all my GPU money interested.  In a few years when the price comes down and trackng drectly from the headseat has been improved I will be likely to give it a try.

Yeah I find it pretty interesting. I answered "somewhat', because it's not like I follow VR news on the dot, but if we can get something Ready Player One-esque in the future I think that would be pretty cool. I see uses for AR in 3D modeling and visualisation as well.

Gaming wise I do enjoy the proper VR games the most. Not just the wave shooters or wave shooter in disquise games, but games that have taken the way you interact with and embed the player in the environment into account from the ground up. Half Life Alyx is the epitome of what VR can be in my eyes.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Yeah. Virtual reality as we thought it to be in the 90s... totally, 100% sign me up.

But what 'VR' is today doesn't even come close to it, which depends mostly on technologies used,  but also contents, just because you're wearing goggles/ a helmet and have a more or less primitive '3D' screen doesn't make something actual "virtual reality". 

I have had more 'VR' like experiences on traditional setups , where 3D goggles maybe would have made a difference but weren't really necessary either,  it was the contents and experiences that made it like living in a "virtual world".

I do not see this in current vr applications at all.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity