How can I safely transport/move my PC in a car (not by courier, just me!) without the original box the chassis came in?

MajorOuchies

In a few months I will be moving from my town here in Canada to a city around 2-3 hours away for school. 

In doing so, I will be bringing my PC rig, which is rather heavy with a lot of components (I only have a decently big air cooler, not an AIO)

When I first built my PC, after having brought it home, one of my parents decided the chassis box was trash and decided to break the box down, recycling it.

So now that I don't have the original box my chassis came in, what are the best options for me to safely transport my PC without the danger of something breaking or coming apart?

Being that it is a short ride (however the roads on my side of Canada are famously terrible...), would it be safe enough for me to just remove my GPU/cooler and lay it on its back so nothing shakes it apart? Or are there any other options to ensure nothing breaks or something otherwise unfavourable happens to it? 

And for reference, the chassis I have is a Lian Li Lancool ii Black. Below is an image of all the parts I currently have in my computer, if that helps you out at all. I'm pretty new to this whole thing. 

Thanks!

Current Parts List.png

Just lay the PC down on the back seat and don't drive like a maniac and you'll be fine. 

If it'll make you feel better, you can take out the GPU and the memory beforehand, but it's really not necessary if you installed everything properly. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I've transported computers by car with a NH-D15 and GPU attached and it was fine.

I'd suggest removing the cooler/GPU/any spinning rust (especially important) and it'll be fine.

Only thing you really should have to do is remove the GPU and transport that separately from the rest of the system. Everything else should ride just fine in a car seat without much issue. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Remove GPU, Cooler and HDD if you have any.

And just put it in the back seat.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

What everyone said about removing GPU (and CPU cooler if it's a huge tower, but it's not really needed to unless you're going thru bumpy roads)

Lay it down so the board isn't being torqued, and finally, do data backup just in case

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Lay it down. Maybe take out the GPU and don't drive it like you stole it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Lay it down, loop a seatbelt around it and buckle it in/make sure it's taut, don't speed over speedbumps or delinquent children and ya should be good. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

unless you're going thru bumpy roads

You'll never know, better safe than sorry.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Remove cooler and GPU, put them to the side (GPU in antistatic bag, cooler is fine on its own). Hard drives can go out if you have better storage but they don't need to. Then just lay it on its side in the rear or passenger seat of your car and buckle it in. Should be fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, MajorOuchies said:

In a few months I will be moving from my town here in Canada to a city around 2-3 hours away for school. 

In doing so, I will be bringing my PC rig, which is rather heavy with a lot of components (I only have a decently big air cooler, not an AIO)

When I first built my PC, after having brought it home, one of my parents decided the chassis box was trash and decided to break the box down, recycling it.

So now that I don't have the original box my chassis came in, what are the best options for me to safely transport my PC without the danger of something breaking or coming apart?

Option 1:

Lay it flat on the back seat, and use the center seatbelt to limit how much it moves. This is sufficient, but doesn't help bounce.

Option 2:

wedge it behind the front passenger seat so it doesn't flop around. This limits bounce, and how much it will move, but your car will still impose vibrations onto it.

Option 3:

Option 2, but wrap it in a few towels, or put a cushion under it first. This will dampen the vibrations, but it will keep it from bouncing as well.

Option 4: 

If you have a suitcase big enough, use the suitcase and just pack it with clothing/towels.

Option 5: 

Get a new box and pack the void space with clothing/towels.

In general a 2-3 hour car ride is nothing, and you shouldn't be too concerned unless you have to take unpaved roads.

Just don't "just throw it in the trunk", because it will slide around and bounce more.

For the entirety of college (dont ask me how long, lets just say more than 4 years) I moved twice a year to college and back home. Now, I lived in Alaska. So each move was a 16 hour drive with some pretty bumpy sections. Some of the worst parts were in Canada funnily enough...

Wanna know my secret? Just jam the case somewhere so it doesnt move. For me, that was put it on the floor in the backseat and slide the front passenger seat back until it squeezes the case. Now it doesnt move more than the car moves.

Now, cars dont actually move that much, you feel it because your head isnt clamped to the car, its on your neck and is flexible.
Unless your going through speedbumps at top speed every 30 seconds, your PC will be fine as long as you "attach" it to your car. Carmakers have spent millions of dollars on suspension systems so cars have largely just stopped shaking apart constantly, use that R&D.

I have never had a hard drive fail due to those trips, and many of them have been through at least 6 trips ~16x6x2=190+ hrs of driving with that simple solution. Didnt bother laying anything down for the video card/cpu cooler bouncing. And I did use aircooling back then. 

Now, some of the coolers are bigger, and the GPU's are definitely bigger, but as an engineer (passed license exam, just waiting on bureaucracy) I can tell you its the jerk (acceleration of acceleration) that kills things, not the "gentle" bouncing you'd get with a normal car ride.

Lift it in, make sure it doesn't move. And don't drive on roads with cobble stones, lots of potholes or hard gravel. So pretty much on anything that would cause you discomfort.

This thing is starting to become one of those PC myths. The gravity and objects continuing motion is the key issue. For example the note about removing GPU only applies if the case is in big motions back and forth. The GPU would then become free-moving object and continue motion after the rest of the case switched direction. In a normal car that kind of motion is almost none.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wow, we're all.putting a lot of thought into this.

If I have to move a pc I normally just chuck them on the backseat and throw a seatbelt around it. I might also slow down a bit more for speed bumps.

Job done.