Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows freaks out when restarting

I’ve noticed that whenever I restart windows, I see the Lock Screen for a fraction of a second. 
it doesn’t appear when I boot with the system being turned off.

specs:

b250m bazooka

i5 7400

Rx480 4gb (original bios)

2x8gb 2400mhz xpg adata

windows installed off ssd

im on windows 10 pro 20h2 and adrenaline 21.3.1

 

this is what it looks like (it’s in slomo as It’s just a blue screen when it’s normal)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QZfrG5nWxToP6fFNZuxtv3qLVA_kcCyO/view?usp=sharing
sorry for the drive link, even a 3 second video is 22mb.

 

im thinking I need to ddu drivers, but before I do that is there any known problem like this? Is there any way to fix it?

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see your screen having flashes, even at 0.25 speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pikatchu said:

I dont see your screen having flashes, even at 0.25 speed.

Hm.... when I watch it on my phone, it’s a blue image with a black bar about 2in tall moving from top to bottom on loop

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are your video drivers up to date? It could be some issue involving HDCP between the video card and monitor. If using HDMI, try DP (Display Port) or vice versa

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Are your video drivers up to date? It could be some issue involving HDCP between the video card and monitor. If using DVI, try DP (Display Port) or vice versa

Yeah, at leas according to adrenaline.

My 480 only has HDMI and DVI, and when I use either it has the same problem.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah, at leas according to adrenaline.

My 480 only has HDMI and DVI, and when I use either it has the same problem.

Yeah, that's a strange one. Have you had any issues installing Windows Updates recently, like one is failing or stuck trying to install?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Yeah, that's a strange one. Have you had any issues installing Windows Updates recently, like one is failing or stuck trying to install?

i cant install onything from official ms stuff, windows updates, any automatic install (like net framework) or ms store stuff.

Its all getting a 0x80072f8f errors 

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i cant install onything from official ms stuff, windows updates, any automatic install (like net framework) or ms store stuff.

Its all getting a 0x80072f8f errors 

Yup, I think that's the source of your problems.

See, when you reboot Windows 10, any pending updates might want to install on the next reboot or shutdown cycle. However, it won't see this occur on a cold bootup. Again, only a reboot.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update-insiderplat_pc/window-10-error-code-0x80072f8f-for-store-and/e9ab2290-b8b4-4d03-8abe-28f3827f64f0

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StDragon said:

Yup, I think that's the source of your problems.

See, when you reboot Windows 10, any pending updates might want to install on the next reboot or shutdown cycle. However, it won't see this occur on a cold bootup. Again, only a reboot.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update-insiderplat_pc/window-10-error-code-0x80072f8f-for-store-and/e9ab2290-b8b4-4d03-8abe-28f3827f64f0

 

It didnt do that when teh problem first arose, so i dont think its it.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It didnt do that when teh problem first arose, so i dont think its it.

I wouldn't be so sure of that... You will still need to get that resolved regardless.

 

A few things you can try.

 

First, with the Windows Update service stopped, try renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.bak. The next time you check for updates, the service will generate a new folder and cache pending updates again. It's possible something is corrupted in there. Once done, you can delete the old bak folder.

 

Secondly, try validating the health of the OS with the DISM commands.

 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

 

 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StDragon said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that... You will still need to get that resolved regardless.

 

A few things you can try.

 

First, with the Windows Update service stopped, try renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.bak. The next time you check for updates, the service will generate a new folder and cache pending updates again. It's possible something is corrupted in there. Once done, you can delete the old bak folder.

 

Secondly, try validating the health of the OS with the DISM commands.

 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

 

The 0x80072f8f issue is persistent across..... 4 diffrent os instals, but its not linked to the ms acc, that same account works on my laptop

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The 0x80072f8f issue is persistent across..... 4 diffrent os instals, but its not linked to the ms acc, that same account works on my laptop

It's not an account issue. The problem is with the Windows OS state. But I would agree, a newer in-place upgrade to a newer OS build should have supplanted the issue...in theory. 

 

Run the command and see what the results are.

 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Turning over that stone might show something crawl out from it 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StDragon said:

It's not an account issue. The problem is with the Windows OS state. But I would agree, a newer in-place upgrade to a newer OS build should have supplanted the issue...in theory. 

 

Run the command and see what the results are.

 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Turning over that stone might show something crawl out from it 😉

The DISM commands(all 3) dont detect any issues.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The DISM commands(all 3) dont detect any issues.

Well, that's good.

Any issues with the date/time? Apparently that's known to cause the error 0x80072f8f as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Any issues with the date/time? Apparently that's known to cause the error 0x80072f8f as well

Not that I can tell. Chrome works, ad if it's wrong chrome doesn't work

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Not that I can tell. Chrome works, ad if it's wrong chrome doesn't work

TBH, I'm at a loss on that error. Apparently not many people have a direct resolution.

 

This is purely a guess, but I'm wondering if you have a service disabled or something butchered in the Root CA of Windows 10. I've never seen that error before, and I've worked on a LOT of Windows 10 machines in IT. I suppose if it was a hacked/bootlegged version of Windows 10 maybe something was gutted.

 

If I recall, Chrome uses its own Root CA certs within the browser where IE leverages the OS. So if you can't get to site in IE that use HTTPS, then you know that's an issue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×