Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I switch my SSD based on these test results?

I currently run Windows on a Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD, but 500 GB is almost insufficient (I keep having to move Steam games to my HDDs) and I've wanted to upgrade to 1 TB for a while. My dad just bought a new computer with a 1 TB WD Green SSD, which he doesn't need all that storage, so I could switch my SSD for his. I cloned my C:/ partition onto his SSD and ran CrystalDiskMark. Here are the results. The sequential results are still good for the WD, but the random read results are pitiful by comparison. Does this difference actually have any noticeable difference in real world use? Should I make this switch?

 

 

wd green.jpg

samsung.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not use both drives? Have the wd green for games, and keep the samgsung for boot.

 

It might be noticable in performance difference, those randoms are pretty low, but still much faster than a hdd. Id use both if you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're already pushing the limits of SATA with real-world best case being 550 MB/s read/write.

 

If you're going to upgrade the storage, do it for capacity. But if you have an M.2 slot, you're better off also going with NVMe rather than SATA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not use both drives? Have the wd green for games, and keep the samgsung for boot.

 

It might be noticable in performance difference, those randoms are pretty low, but still much faster than a hdd. Id use both if you can.

 

Because my dad wants a SSD for his new machine, so I would give him my current SSD, since I don't really need the 500 GB. With the switch I would have 3 TB in total (2 TB worth of HDD and 1 TB worth of SSD).

 

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

If you're going to upgrade the storage, do it for capacity. But if you have an M.2 slot, you're better off also going with NVMe rather than SATA.

 

I do have the slot, but I saw some comparisons and the difference in game load times between NVMe and SATA SSDs is negligible, so it doesn't really matter which flavor of SSD I get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nantes said:

Because my dad wants a SSD for his new machine, so I would give him my current SSD, since I don't really need the 500 GB. With the switch I would have 3 TB in total (2 TB worth of HDD and 1 TB worth of SSD).

Well if you already cloned the drive you might as well test the performance, it will probably be fine for games and windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nantes said:

I do, but I saw some comparisons and the difference in game load times between NVMe and SATA SSDs is negligible, so it doesn't really matter which flavor of SSD I get.

True, not much of a difference in "feel" when it comes to game performance / asset loading.

 

All I'm saying is that if you don't have any hardware readily available, go with NVMe if given the option to shop around. But for part trading, yeah, SATA would be fine; specifically if you come out on top with more storage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just learned that the 1TB drive doesn't have DRAM, while my current 500 GB one does, and since this means the 1TB one would stutter more during web browsing and other similar operations with lots of random reads and writes, I've decided not to make the switch and add a NMVe later when the 500GB limit becomes too annoying. Thanks for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×