Student unable to get a GPU due to shortages

CompEngRetard

Hello LTT community,

I am an engineering student in need of a GPU, I currently bought all my Computer parts in order to build in preparation for my 3rd year of the study. I was aware of the shortages but many of my friends were able to secure a GPU, thus leading me underestimated the difficulty of getting my hands on one. The problem is that I gifted my current computer to my brother who is entering university this year. I was able to get a job over the summer so I had the money to spend on him to upgrade while also being able for me to finally build my own pc. The GPU I am seeking for is the RTX 3080, making it even more difficult to secure one. My question is if there is a proper way to go about looking to get one. Currently I am looking online at Canada Computers and BestBuy, but these websites seem to be flooded by bots. I've tried in store at Canada Computer but they are very very unhelpful. My overall point to this post is I hate the state of GPU stock and want to know any tips on how I can get a GPU in Ontario, specifically the GTA.

TDLR: I hate the silicon shortage, causes me problems as I need a pc for school. Unfortunately bought all my parts ( except the GPU of course)  Please share tips on how to get a GPU in Ontario (the GTA  AREA).

Thank you for reading and upcoming tips.

Paul's Hardware just put out a video with some cheap enough CPU's with integrated graphics for both platforms. I would recommend getting a different CPU in the interim while you wait for a reasonably priced GPU.

5 minutes ago, CompEngRetard said:

Hello LTT community,

I am an engineering student in need of a GPU, I currently bought all my Computer parts in order to build in preparation for my 3rd year of the study. I was aware of the shortages but many of my friends were able to secure a GPU, thus leading me underestimated the difficulty of getting my hands on one. The problem is that I gifted my current computer to my brother who is entering university this year. I was able to get a job over the summer so I had the money to spend on him to upgrade while also being able for me to finally build my own pc. The GPU I am seeking for is the RTX 3080, making it even more difficult to secure one. My question is if there is a proper way to go about looking to get one. Currently I am looking online at Canada Computers and BestBuy, but these websites seem to be flooded by bots. I've tried in store at Canada Computer but they are very very unhelpful. My overall point to this post is I hate the state of GPU stock and want to know any tips on how I can get a GPU in Ontario, specifically the GTA.

TDLR: I hate the silicon shortage, causes me problems as I need a pc for school. Unfortunately bought all my parts ( except the GPU of course)  Please share tips on how to get a GPU in Ontario (the GTA  AREA).

Thank you for reading and upcoming tips.

Hello,

I have a couple suggestions:

1) check local classifieds, there is likely cards that your looking, but the only problem is that they are probably overpriced.

2) get a quadro card. These cards will support your use case and are in stock at Canadian retailers (memory express comes to mind)

10 minutes ago, Arethusa said:

Hello,

I have a couple suggestions:

1) check local classifieds, there is likely cards that your looking, but the only problem is that they are probably overpriced.

2) get a quadro card. These cards will support your use case and are in stock at Canadian retailers (memory express comes to mind)

I'm not too sure what classifieds are, but I will do some research on that. On the topic of Quadro cards, I believe it will get the job done, however they are quite expensive. Furthermore, although my time will be occupied with classes most of the time, I still seek to do some gaming and I am not sure if Quadro's will suffice in doing so? I thank you for your response.

19 minutes ago, RegulatorRWF said:

Paul's Hardware just put out a video with some cheap enough CPU's with integrated graphics for both platforms. I would recommend getting a different CPU in the interim while you wait for a reasonably priced GPU.

I will watch this video, I currently have a AMD CPU without integrated graphics. Thank you.

39 minutes ago, CompEngRetard said:

I'm not too sure what classifieds are, but I will do some research on that. On the topic of Quadro cards, I believe it will get the job done, however they are quite expensive. Furthermore, although my time will be occupied with classes most of the time, I still seek to do some gaming and I am not sure if Quadro's will suffice in doing so? I thank you for your response.

You'd want to look on Kijiji - prices aren't great but they're much better than ebay. Quadro's aren't designed for gaming but they're absolutely capable of it - just not a great value proposition.

Wow, you live in real life GTA?!
Jokes aside, basically keep hunting all the stores that sell a RTX 3080 until you can find one. Strategy by leaving the tabs open, check out past drops of what days and times they were sold and learn the patterns. Unfortunately I don't know about Nvidia, but for AMD the drops occur usually on a Thursday, but not every week. Finally use PC communities like this and others that also have Classifieds, sometimes there might be someone to help you. You might even find that nice person to help out the community and sell at MSRP.