Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8-Pin to Dual 8-Pin Is it safe

so i've got an old but quality power supply (https://aerocooler.com/highpower-hpc-1000-g14c-rocksolid-1000w-power-supply/) and it seems to have very quiet fans and since my psu does not work properly since the day that i've bought it I've been thinking of upgrading it to that. but there is a problem. I don't know where the modular cables are and I am going to get new ones but in Turkey I couldn't find some guud quality 8pin and 6pin cables. the only one I saw that was decent was a male to male 8 pin to dual 6+2 pin cable. can I use it without any consequences. I've got an rtx2070 super in case it is a helpful info

Graphics card: Palit RTX 2070 SUPER GP OC, Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F, Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Case: Cooler Master H500, Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 3200Mhz Cl16

The High Power G14C PSU came out 14 years ago. It's very, very old. It came out in an era where a high end gaming computer was a Core 2 Quad CPU with a 8800 GTS.

Modular cables need to be compatible with that model of power supply, they're not freely interchangeable between different brands and models as some use different pinouts. You need to find a set of modular cables that are compatible with the pinout that the PSU uses. PCIe is only 12V and ground, there's not that many possible combinations so you should be able to find a set of cables that are compatible. But I really don't think it's worth buying cables for such an old power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

The High Power G14C PSU came out 14 years ago. It's very, very old. It came out in an era where a high end gaming computer was a Core 2 Quad CPU with a 8800 GTS.

Modular cables need to be compatible with that model of power supply, they're not freely interchangeable between different brands and models as some use different pinouts. You need to find a set of modular cables that are compatible with the pinout that the PSU uses. PCIe is only 12V and ground, there's not that many possible combinations so you should be able to find a set of cables that are compatible. But I really don't think it's worth buying cables for such an old power supply.

the psu nearly have been used. it was in a depot somewhere and I just found out about it and want to try it out and I found the cables that are compatible with it. Is it a problem to use an 8pin to dual 8 pin

Graphics card: Palit RTX 2070 SUPER GP OC, Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F, Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Case: Cooler Master H500, Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 3200Mhz Cl16

Just now, axyloth said:

Is it a problem to use an 8pin to dual 8 pin

It depends on the graphics card you're using. For high power draw cards like a 2080ti or 3080 you would want to use separate cables and use one connector off each. For cards that don't have such high power draw (<250W) you can use the single 8pin cable on the PSU side to dual 8 pin PCIe connectors. For your 2070 Super you can use the one cable, but if you have two separate cables it wouldn't hurt to use both cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

It depends on the graphics card you're using. For high power draw cards like a 2080ti or 3080 you would want to use separate cables and use one connector off each. For cards that don't have such high power draw (<250W) you can use the single 8pin cable on the PSU side to dual 8 pin PCIe connectors. For your 2070 Super you can use the one cable, but if you have two separate cables it wouldn't hurt to use both cables.

does it help that I get 2 of those cables to use them seperately

18 minutes ago, basriwizz said:

You should check out this website from TR and ask them if they make a custom cable for your specific PSU.

https://www.bindetay.com/moduler-psu-power-kablosu-psu-pci-e-8-pin-to-pci-e-8-pin-power-kablosu-bindetay-10433

thank you mate you are a lifesaver