First build, Any helpful info for a Newbie would be great! And should I fork out extra cash on the i7 10700k, rather than the i5 10600k!

Hello,聽first time builder here, super excited to get all my parts here so I can start putting it together, I have been researching for about 6 months and saved up while I was doing so..

Since it's next to impossible to find a GPU atm and well my budget doesn't allow for it yet anyways il be using the integrated graphics until it's reasonable to buy either a 3060ti or a 3070. (Currently using a dual core聽 laptop, i5 480m with igpu atm so il be fine 馃お

Also since il just be gaming anyways is it really worth the extra $140ish Cad for the i7 10700K? Also I plan on OC to 5ghz,聽

Part of my choice was due to price but after building I decided on some better matching components and聽a bit more Rgb 馃槉 but聽in the last couple weeks most of my components have went up like 30-40 bucks ffs, but o well Im happy with what I chose and super excited. I Already ordered my RAM and Aio which were on sale,聽and should have my Income tax in the next week to buy the rest.聽

Sorry for the big write up I'm just super stoked!

Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor聽 $279.99- Newegg.ca聽

MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler聽 $119.99 Newegg.ca (Ordered)

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $279.99 Amazon.ca (up to $339 on Newegg.ca)

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory聽 $139.00 (Ordered)

Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive聽 $89.99 Newegg.ca (was 79)

MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110M聽ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 Newegg.ca (was $99)聽

SeaSonic FOCUS 750GX聽80+ Gold 146.99 Cad (was 134)

Some things may have been on sale and I just didn't notice, but still is gay after pricing it out and watching the prices keep climbing, but its what I get for buidling a pc now of all times

Edited by WickedJester
To add Cad Prices

<-- Moved to聽New Builds and Planning -->

Community Standards聽| Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @聽me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer.聽

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop |聽Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)聽| RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36聽3600mhz聽

1tb Samsung 970 Evo |聽2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming聽Rig

聽Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix聽| 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |聽聽Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I think the processor could be upgraded depending on what you're doing. Also I would go with an NVMe SSD just because of how fast they are. Other than that it looks good

How much are you paying for each component?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, RyanTripleSeven said:

I think the processor could be upgraded depending on what you're doing. Also I would go with an NVMe SSD just because of how fast they are

1. The 10600k is a great gaming CPU, probably the best value Intel (besides the 11600k, the only worth it 11th gen)

2. He already has a nvme on the list, but I'd recommend saving on it and just going with a sata m.2 drive and putting it somewhere else (really there's no difference that matters)

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The 10600k is a great gaming CPU, probably the best value Intel (besides the 11600k, the only worth it 11th gen)

True, but he still hasn't told us his budget, so if he wanted to go with the 11600k he probably should. Sorry I'm not that good with intel CPUs

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

He already has a nvme on the list, but I'd recommend saving on it and just going with a sata m.2 drive and putting it somewhere else (really there's no difference that matters)

Whoops didn't see the nvme on there. In 2021 I guess SATA would be sufficient, but you never know what could change in the future.

1 minute ago, RyanTripleSeven said:
6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Whoops didn't see the nvme on there. In 2021 I guess SATA would be sufficient, but you never know what could change in the future.

Nvme for os will never need it.

It only loads data once, and there are other bottle necks than speed it that process.

By the time nvme will have a quantifiable difference for a boot drive.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

You might as well buy a Z590 if you're going to buy a motherboard that expensive. You could also check out the b560. It doesn't support overclocking, but you'd save some on the cpu anyways by not going for a K series (plus you wouldn't need an aio) and it supports 11th gen. I'd also spend the $100 on a 1TB nvme ssd. 500gb does not go very far, and there's a western digital on the best buy website right now for about that price. SATA SSD is good, but considering it's the same price (literally) as nvme... it doesn't make sense at the moment to me.聽

14 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

How much are you paying for each component?

I will edit my original post in a sec here with the Cad Prices. and yah I had went with a barebones聽machine pretty much no rgb,聽Msi z490 a pro, Corsair 275r airflow case, and I posted it on reddit and the first thing someone said was u could do better on the case, but I got such conflicting info and none of it was really helpful so I redid my build and once it was done it was only like $200 more with parts I liked better anyways.. but since then everything I've picked has went up in price. I wanted to buy everything from newegg but il prolly hafto shop around for the lowest prices now..

14 hours ago, hunterhungryhippos said:

You might as well buy a Z590 if you're going to buy a motherboard that expensive. You could also check out the b560. It doesn't support overclocking, but you'd save some on the cpu anyways by not going for a K series (plus you wouldn't need an aio) and it supports 11th gen. I'd also spend the $100 on a 1TB nvme ssd. 500gb does not go very far, and there's a western digital on the best buy website right now for about that price. SATA SSD is good, but considering it's the same price (literally) as nvme... it doesn't make sense at the moment to me.聽

I went with the z490, just so I could overclock,聽 Also I don't need the second pcie x16 on the z590 but yah I've looked at them aswell.聽 My motherboard is $279 Cad, and that nvme is currently $89.99 Cad, I looked into buying sata and the prices were so minimal I'd didn't seem worth it. Like save 9 dollars.. and I also plan on buying an additional nvme or sata drive later this is just so I can get it home and get it built.. if u can find me a cheaper sata in Cad il check it out. Thanks聽

14 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to聽New Builds and Planning -->

Okay sorry didn't see that category my bad @Skiiwee29

14 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

1. The 10600k is a great gaming CPU, probably the best value Intel (besides the 11600k, the only worth it 11th gen)

2. He already has a nvme on the list, but I'd recommend saving on it and just going with a sata m.2 drive and putting it somewhere else (really there's no difference that matters)

I looked at the i5 11600k aswell, because it is a bit better than the i5 10600k, and it has the upgraded igpu, until I get my gpu, whenever that is.. lol maybe never!! 馃 haha, but the i7 11700k is about 50 bucks more for additional cores, so I thought maybe that would be the better buy, I'm going to check them out on benchmark here.

2 hours ago, WickedJester said:

I went with the z490, just so I could overclock,聽 Also I don't need the second pcie x16 on the z590 but yah I've looked at them aswell.聽 My motherboard is $279 Cad, and that nvme is currently $89.99 Cad, I looked into buying sata and the prices were so minimal I'd didn't seem worth it. Like save 9 dollars.. and I also plan on buying an additional nvme or sata drive later this is just so I can get it home and get it built.. if u can find me a cheaper sata in Cad il check it out. Thanks聽

The Z590 is the newer variant of the Z490. It supports overclocking as well and supports 11th gen processors聽natively (without BIOS update) and pcie 4.0 (only with 11th gen chip) if you ever decide to go that route. I spent $220 USD on an Asrock Z590 Extreme. I don't know current Canadian prices though.聽

34 minutes ago, hunterhungryhippos said:

The Z590 is the newer variant of the Z490. It supports overclocking as well and supports 11th gen processors聽natively (without BIOS update) and pcie 4.0 (only with 11th gen chip) if you ever decide to go that route. I spent $220 USD on an Asrock Z590 Extreme. I don't know current Canadian prices though.聽

Yup I know, about the z590's, I looked at them aswell. I've pretty well price matched every z490/z590 board and since I've heard just such bad things about gigabytes customer service I've decided just to stay away from them entirely, but yah so the only other boards that are cheaper than the board I picked, are the Asus z490 prime, and the msi z490-a pro/590-a pro. And the Msi Mpg Gaming Plus, well ones that in all the reviews I watched and read had decent enough vrms, and had everything I wanted..聽

Also whats cheap in the US isn't always cheap here, like your motherboard is currently $339 in Cad atm,聽 the price difference really sucks. Electronics are usually always $100- $200 more here for the same thing