Need Help Finding the Right Gamepad for PC

TheZorch

I have a friend who loves to play Final Fantasy XIV. It plays amazingly well on a gamepad, however, he's having issues with his fingers when using the L2 and R2 triggers. These are used to control the special hotbar that was designed for controller users. The issue is the pressure needed to keep the L2 & R2 triggers held down for long periods of time, they're making his fingers hurt. It is an ergonomics issue. He has Thrustmaster's new ESwap X controller that Linus reviewed, he was using that but the L2 and R2 even in their short distance mode still put too much stress on his fingers. We're both aging gamers, this is why this is an issue.

I've been trying to find a good PlayStation Dual-Shock 2 style PC controller where L2 and R2 are clicky buttons and not paddles. As a gift, I bought him the ZD-V+ USB Wired Gamepad for PC, it has buttons for L2 and R2 but they're terrible. They float on top of the button so you have to press the entire button down pretty hard to make it activate, so that's not going to work. 

So, here is what I need help finding. A gamepad for PC, connects via USB, has a good build quality and isn't cheap, and the L2 & R2 triggers are actually clicky buttons instead. I don't know if anything like that exists but I figured if anybody could find something like that you guys could. Please help, thank you.

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • x2 SLI Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti
  • Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum

7 minutes ago, TheZorch said:

I have a friend who loves to play Final Fantasy XIV. It plays amazingly well on a gamepad, however, he's having issues with his fingers when using the L2 and R2 triggers. These are used to control the special hotbar that was designed for controller users. The issue is the pressure needed to keep the L2 & R2 triggers held down for long periods of time, they're making his fingers hurt. It is an ergonomics issue. He has Thrustmaster's new ESwap X controller that Linus reviewed, he was using that but the L2 and R2 even in their short distance mode still put too much stress on his fingers. We're both aging gamers, this is why this is an issue.

I've been trying to find a good PlayStation Dual-Shock 2 style PC controller where L2 and R2 are clicky buttons and not paddles. As a gift, I bought him the ZD-V+ USB Wired Gamepad for PC, it has buttons for L2 and R2 but they're terrible. They float on top of the button so you have to press the entire button down pretty hard to make it activate, so that's not going to work. 

So, here is what I need help finding. A gamepad for PC, connects via USB, has a good build quality and isn't cheap, and the L2 & R2 triggers are actually clicky buttons instead. I don't know if anything like that exists but I figured if anybody could find something like that you guys could. Please help, thank you.

stadia controller is really good and those triggers are flat and easy to push. if you preorder resident evil village on stadia you will get chromecast ultra and a stadia controller for free
Cloud-Konsole Stadia: Dieser Controller soll die Spiele ...

This only works for Stadia as far as I know, and the triggers must be buttons or else his fingers are going to start hurting. Also, FFXIV isn't on Stadia and never will be, thank goodness. 

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • x2 SLI Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti
  • Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum

• 4 weeks later...

What'd you settle on? I've been looking at the ESWAP controllers myself.