Took out CPU and discovered there was one bent pin

Everything is back to normal.

solved, officially

Posted (edited)

MOBO: MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 1700X (default clock speed)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 Corsair Vengeance LED
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5700XT NITRO+

The newest item is my motherboard. I couldn't tell you if my RAM issues started when I put the motherboard in or more recently when I switched out all my case fans and did some cable management. I only noticed it when I looked down yesterday and saw one of my RAM sticks wasn't lit up. I opened up task manager to see that indeed only 8GB was available. I took them out, swapped them, and turned my pc back on. Both sticks were lit, but task manager said there was still only 8GB available. I went into the bios and looked at the MSI board explorer, and it detected that both of my RAM were plugged in, but it also said only 8GB was available. I looked at resource monitor to find that 8GB is allocated to "hardware reserved". I tried everything in this link to no avail. Also before you ask, yes, they're in slots 2 and 4.

Is my RAM just incompatible with my motherboard, since the RAM is kind of old?
Pictures of my Task Manager and Resource Monitor, plus a bonus of my setup. Yes I know it's on carpet, I have nowhere else to put it at the moment.

rsrm.png.515a675dc290230f3355750ce18fb679.png
taskmgr.png.d9d32ff16d798619e7f714616c9aac21.pngIMG_20210407_012716.thumb.jpg.f0e7a631d8e24774a7df9f596f0f01e3.jpg

Edited by Regolith
fixed an image

That's often a bad contact on a RAM stick, try reseating them

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Try cleaning and reseating the ram. This is a common problem.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just tried cleaning both ram and reseating, and it's still detecting 8.1GB in hardware reserved. I tried each stick independently in DIMM2 and it booted up just fine, detected the correct amount of RAM. Just for shits and giggles I tried booting with only DIMM4 and unsurprisingly it didn't boot. I'm wondering if maybe something is up in the BIOS? Or maybe I should flash my BIOS as I'm still using the default that my B550 MAG came with.

Does it detect the 16GB in the BIOS? Have you tried using another two slots? 1 & 3 for example

On 4/8/2021 at 1:37 PM, Cob said:

Does it detect the 16GB in the BIOS? Have you tried using another two slots? 1 & 3 for example

In the BIOS it says 8GB, but on the "board explorer" it detects that both slots are occupied. I just tried using slots 1 and 3 and it still shows 8.1GB set to "hardware reserved"

Maybe there's something I'm missing in MSI's BIOS options but I'm not sure.

3 minutes ago, Regolith said:

In the BIOS it says 8GB, but on the "board explorer" it detects that both slots are occupied. I just tried using slots 1 and 3 and it still shows 8.1GB set to "hardware reserved"

Maybe there's something I'm missing in MSI's BIOS options but I'm not sure.

Are you running the lastest BIOS on your motherboard?

3 minutes ago, Cob said:

Are you running the lastest BIOS on your motherboard?

I am not but if it can cause this issue, then I'm gonna go ahead and flash my bios

Update: Just flashed my BIOS, still nothing.

Update 2: Just checked the original thread I was on again and my RAM isn't in the QVL for my motherboard.

EDIT: This was not the case

Just upgraded my RAM to something that's on the QVL list for my board and it's still listing 8.1GB as hardware reserved

QVL shouldn't matter.

At this point it seems like a failure with the mobo or CPU, or bad connection between the 2... tried reseating CPU yet, making sure there's no thermal paste in the pins while there?

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

QVL shouldn't matter.

At this point it seems like a failure with the mobo or CPU, or bad connection between the 2... tried reseating CPU yet, making sure there's no thermal paste in the pins while there?

I'll try reseating my CPU and applying new thermal paste. I'm fairly sure none got under but I'll double check to be sure. While I'm posting, here's what CPU-Z says. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but it detects all 16GB of my RAM.

image.png.55152c03fb96a0eb8f8dee2f91815968.png

5 minutes ago, Regolith said:

I'll try reseating my CPU and applying new thermal paste. I'm fairly sure none got under but I'll double check to be sure. While I'm posting, here's what CPU-Z says. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but it detects all 16GB of my RAM.

Are you by any chance reusing an old OS? I would assume so, considering you have a 1700X with a B550 board. If this is indeed the case there could be some chipset conflicts that are causing this. Reinstall the OS and see how it goes. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

2 minutes ago, Analog said:

Are you by any chance reusing an old OS? I would assume so, considering you have a 1700X with a B550 board. If this is indeed the case there could be some chipset conflicts that are causing this. Reinstall the OS and see how it goes. 

Yeah, I didn't reinstall my OS when I upgraded my board. I am overdue for one, I am just sort of dreading it because of all the prep and organizing I have to do lol

2 minutes ago, Regolith said:

Yeah, I didn't reinstall my OS when I upgraded my board. I am overdue for one, I am just sort of dreading it because of all the prep and organizing I have to do lol

True, this is why it is a good idea to have a separate SSD for Windows and other drives for everything else. This way if Windows decides to crap itself (which it will surely do at some point) you can easily reinstall it without loosing any data.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

29 minutes ago, Analog said:

True, this is why it is a good idea to have a separate SSD for Windows and other drives for everything else. This way if Windows decides to crap itself (which it will surely do at some point) you can easily reinstall it without loosing any data.

Yeah probably a good idea, I just hate having to direct programs to be installed in various places. I guess I could get a WD Black 250GB m.2 drive for my OS since they're pretty cheap.

Took out CPU and discovered there was one bent pin

Everything is back to normal.

solved, officially