Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaming laptop (i7+1060) overheating (95-98c)

TLDR:

Overheating laptop - repasted but didnt help a lot, any suggestions?

Hey, i recently purchased this laptop, slightly used, as a display model.

When I got the laptop, it was overheating a lot, so i took it apart, cleaned the fans, there was almost no built up dust, repasted the cpu and gpu with thermal kryonaut. 

This did not help at all, the temps stayed around 92-98c where the components would throttle.

So I thought maybe i put too much paste, I got arctic mx4 and tried it again today, also replaced the vram thermal pads, but now im running cs, and i've already hit 94 degrees on the cpu. It does seem to be staying a little bit lower than before, at least hasnt hit 98 yet which it would basically immedately before, but i read about people getting 40 idle and 70-80 max on the same laptop after repasting.

Would you maybe have any suggestions for me?

My laptop is on the table, i placed some spare pci brackets under it so it can intake air, this had no effect.

I dont wanna try liquid metal, and throttlestop... Nothing else than disabling boost frequency helped in any way or seemed to work at all.

This is the laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Helios-GeForce-PH317-51-787B/dp/B073PY18CN

Our life is what our thoughts make it.

- Marcus Aurelius

It's pretty normal for laptops to run at such temperatures. If you don't want to have the laptop run slower, then your only other solution is to try to improve the cooling, which looks like you already tried to so there isn't much else you can do other than maybe getting a cooling pad, or strapping a desktop cooler but at that point it's not really a laptop anymore.

8 minutes ago, Margott247 said:

TLDR:

When I got the laptop, it was overheating a lot, so i took it apart, cleaned the fans, there was almost no built up dust, repasted the cpu and gpu with thermal kryonaut. 

This did not help at all, the temps stayed around 92-98c where the components would throttle.

So I thought maybe i put too much paste, I got arctic mx4 and tried it again today, also replaced the vram thermal pads, but now im running cs, and i've already hit 94 degrees on the cpu. It does seem to be staying a little bit lower than before, at least hasnt hit 98 yet which it would basically immedately before, but i read about people getting 40 idle and 70-80 max on the same laptop after repasting.

My laptop is on the table, i placed some spare pci brackets under it so it can intake air, this had no effect.

I dont wanna try liquid metal, and throttlestop... Nothing else than disabling boost frequency helped in any way or seemed to work at all.

This is the laptop:

90 to 100 are normal for laptops

Well that's great so they design them to run games for 4 minutes and then let them throttle down to 6 hertz and run half life 2 at 14 fps?

- Marcus Aurelius

I wonder if undervolting might work?  YMMV, though.

I have my laptop's i7-6700K undervolted (in Intel XTU) about -150 mV IIRC, runs at 4 GHz on all 4 cores, at around 69-71°C & 65-67 watts or so (it's a 91-watt TDP CPU), sustained, under load (10-min Cinebench R23).  I imagine a newer CPU (and/or a mobile-oriented one - mine's a desktop LGA1151 CPU in a laptop) would do considerably better.

(I've had it up to around 4.6 or 4.7 GHz with some finessing of voltage in testing, although I forget what the temps & watts were exactly.  I think it was around 110-115 watts or so, and bouncing off 98-100°C at 4.6 ... and by "finessing" the voltage, I mean like <5 mV too high and it thermal throttles, <5 mV too low and it crashes, at least at 4.7 GHz.  Also in a couple Cinebench runs I did a while ago, 4.6 and 4.7 GHz both had the same score.  If I was going to do a 24/7 OC I'd probably run it at 4.4-4.5 GHz or so.)

6 hours ago, Margott247 said:

This did not help at all

bcoz the model has bad cooling from the beginning...

Check out my laptop reviews here

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050Ti 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB+Seagate 1TB 5400RPM

Laptop ODMsClevo, Tongfang, Quanta

My Phone: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite [REVIEW] (Blue, with XUNDD hard case)

Spoiler

SDM710 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 6.39" AMOLED 48MP Sony IMX586 rear (AI triple camera)

7 hours ago, Margott247 said:

TLDR:

This is the laptop:

Same problem I have i7 9750h and gtx 1050ti but my cpu spiked to 98-99c and for me the solution was to disable turbo boost and undervolt.And my highest temps are around mid 70s to 80s.If you don't want to undervolt just disable turbo boost.

I got together all the courage i had left and repasted the laptop with liquid metal. It didn't go over 91 yet testing on gta, but to be fair i expect it will anyway

- Marcus Aurelius