Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Announcing new combined topic for F@H. Official LTT F@H FAQ & Guide.

Offset Carbon Footprint of mining?

I hear comment's about how mining has a large carbon footprint and figured there wasn't anything I could do about it........ Then I saw the techquickie sponsor https://www.wren.co/join/techquickie and decided that I'm going to donate part of my crypto profit's every month to wren.  That way I don't feel as bad about it.

Anyone else think they would do that?

I think it's somewhat situational. As Linus pointed out, during the winter, the excess heat from your GPU is actually helping to heat your house, which you would be doing anyways. The problem isn't really individual miners using their gaming PCs on the side to mine. The carbon footprint of mining is caused by all these ASICs using huge amounts of power. It's not that you shouldn't perhaps do your part, but you aren't really the problem in the first place.

As all things in life, do what you think is right and moral.

12 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I hear comment's about how mining has a large carbon footprint and figured there wasn't anything I could do about it........ Then I saw the techquickie sponsor https://www.wren.co/join/techquickie and decided that I'm going to donate part of my crypto profit's every month to wren.  That way I don't feel as bad about it.

Anyone else think they would do that?

I have solar panels so I don't feel as bad for electricity use. I would say to switch your electric supplier to a renewable, but in Colorado there are no 3rd party electric suppliers. Sort of unrelated but solar has really fast ROI because of government incentives, and combined with a cheap solar installer like Tesla, and a state in the southern half of the US the ROI can literally be like 5 years, so maybe worth checking out, even if it is just for fun.