Would you switch to Linux (assuming u already aren't using linux) if it had the vast selection of software that windows has?

King of Memes

Would you switch to Linux (assuming u already aren't using linux) if it had the vast selection of software that windows has?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you switch to Linux (assuming u already aren't using linux) if it had the vast selection of software that windows has?

I would definetely switch, but i need several windows-only aplications.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Honestly I don't see why someone would use Windows if Linux had equal or superior market share and software support. Literally the only benefit of Windows is its popularity.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Doesn't even need to be vast.

Just give me Adobe apps and I'm good.

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Why bother switching if you can just have more than one OS?

It's what I've done.

I need to fix GRUB though.

ok, how do you have more than one OS, im confused

Just now, King of Memes said:

ok, how do you have more than one OS, im confused

On my Crucial M4 128GB, I have Windows installed.

On an 80GB HDD, I have Linux Mint 17.3 installed.

You're not limited to one OS per device - I know someone here had 8 at one point.

You can - with a LOT of tinkering - get multiple OS's on one drive, but it's better to just do one OS on one drive.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

You can - with a LOT of tinkering - get multiple OS's on one drive, but it's better to just do one OS on one drive.

I'm not sure what you're on about with "a lot of tinkering" - the installers for most Linux distributions will offer to partition for you automatically.

It's a must if you have a laptop or a small-form-factor device, which almost always only have a single drive.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

I'm not sure what you're on about with "a lot of tinkering" - the installers for most Linux distributions will offer to partition for you automatically.

It's a must if you have a laptop or a small-form-factor device, which almost always only have a single drive.

I guess it's just my experience, then.

I've never been able to get more than one OS on a drive - all but one craps out.

No pattern between which ones die.

elephants

Every time I try using linux on a 2k 14" screen, the scaling is terrible. It's either 200% scaling which is too big or 100% scaling which requires a microscope. There's fractional scaling but it's terrible and there's a performance hit. I guess all linux users mostly run on <1080p or something. That's the main reason why I haven't switched on my main laptop. On my junker I'm running Solus.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I would but its pretty tricky. Gaming and software aside there still remains the fact i would have to relearn a new environment to program on and have zero idea what to do if something breaks.

No, because there's still performance issues and considering that I'm not running powerful hardware I'm not exactly willing to give away that performance. Not to mention the quirks that Linux distro's can have. I will only consider switching to Linux once there's a genuine advantage to doing and little to no disadvantages compared to Windows. Since otherwise there's no point of wasting the time to switch and get used to something that's marginally better.

7 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

No, because there's still performance issues and considering that I'm not running powerful hardware I'm not exactly willing to give away that performance. Not to mention the quirks that Linux distro's can have. I will only consider switching to Linus once there's a genuine advantage to doing and little to no disadvantages compared to Windows. Since otherwise there's no point of wasting the time to switch and get used to something that's marginally better.

This, but replacing Linux with Windows, is my position on server/enterprise stuff >.>

To answer OP, I just dual-boot everything. My desktop runs mostly Windows because it's my gaming system, and my laptop runs mostly Linux because it's an older daily-use system.

I'm stuck on windows for gaming at this point, but I'm honestly considering switching my schoolwork over to wsl2, just to get away from distractions (I already have Kali set up with Kex).

Honestly though, switching is more work than I thought!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, FakeNSA said:

I'm stuck on windows for gaming at this point, but I'm honestly considering switching my schoolwork over to wsl2, just to get away from distractions (I already have Kali set up with Kex).

Honestly though, switching is more work than I thought!

Didn't LTT make a video about how to play just about any Steam game on linux?

ASU

If Linux can emulate or run all Windows programs (including all games) without a need of emulator or virtual machine which sacrifies the performance, why not?

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Didn't LTT make a video about how to play just about any Steam game on linux?

Yes, but Wine/Proton isn't quite there yet as far as stability, and there's still a bit of performance overhead IIRC.

Plus I'm lazy!

Just now, FakeNSA said:

Yes, but Wine/Proton isn't quite there yet as far as stability, and there's still a bit of performance overhead IIRC.

Plus I'm lazy!

damn, and i was almost gonna switch

Just now, King of Memes said:

damn, and i was almost gonna switch

I mean, if you want to try it out, go for it!
I'm just coasting the edge of my performance envelope, CPU-wise, so I don't want to incur any additional overhead.

6 minutes ago, FakeNSA said:

I mean, if you want to try it out, go for it!
I'm just coasting the edge of my performance envelope, CPU-wise, so I don't want to incur any additional overhead.

i might try it, but i dont want to sacrifice on performance just to use linux

i've tinkered with Linux for over 26 years now. i love it. some computers i own have nothing but Linux (a desktop and a laptop).

another laptop have windowz, which has software on it i use for my car. and my regular desk top has a drive with Linux and a drive with windowz.

there is software i run, that just doesn't work in linux. it sucks, but that is the only reason i still have computers with windowz on them.

You'll notice that CPU bound games, like Minecraft, will run a whole heck of a lot faster on Linux. A few years ago I used Windows and had really bad microstutter even at low settings, but switching to Linux I was able to do 16 chunks no problem. Also Minecrafts circular fog works on AMD and Intel graphics on Linux, unlike on Windows where it only works on Nvidia.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I like linux and all, but a lot of things wont run on it, which is Microsofts fault a lot of the time because copyright bogus, not knocking linux. Like you cant take parts of windows and just implant them in linux, the most you can do legally is an emu i think(wine). I wish there was a linux distro that could run any windows and any linux program without any third party software(like a future version of wine built into the os). wine needs to get to the point were programs that dont let you run on Linux(deuvo games) cant tell the difference and will run. it needs to make the program 100 percent confident its running on windows and do some serious trickery and vulcan to direct x emulation that is bug free and optimized(again, not knocking wine and Linux, its a large tough project, stuff like that is hard). in that scenario, I would switch tomorrow.

19 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

You'll notice that CPU bound games, like Minecraft, will run a whole heck of a lot faster on Linux. A few years ago I used Windows and had really bad microstutter even at low settings, but switching to Linux I was able to do 16 chunks no problem. Also Minecrafts circular fog works on AMD and Intel graphics on Linux, unlike on Windows where it only works on Nvidia.

really, wow. ive never played minecraft on linux before, so i didnt know it actually ran better on linux. thats pretty cool.