Should I sell my RTX 3090 and keep the profit?

Actual_Criminal

I managed to snag an FE RTX 3090 brand new at RRP in January for £1,369. - Honestly, this is a lot more I wanted to pay for a GPU, especially a pseudo-Titan card due to the how much they lose value when the next generation of GPUs release.  (I wanted to pay £650-700 for an RTX 3080 at RRP instead, but they were out of stock everywhere.)

Anyway, it seems to be the case with the 3090 now and it is selling on secondary marketplaces currently for around £2,050-2,150. Meaning if I sold it right now (I have no fees either via Ebay due to a promo offer), I would bag around £680 pure profit less the postage cost.

I could then invest that money into something and wait 6 months and then hopefully buy another 3090 at RRP if they ever come around again, or even an RTX 3080 (but doubtful.) I mean, I'm happy to wait 6 months. I bought it because I needed a new GPU for my new PC (I have a spare GTX 780 I can use now) but CP 2077 still needs work and there is nothing currently of mega interest I want to play.

The thing is, I am not really a big gamer anymore. I find myself playing Overwatch or card games in my spare time and the 3090 is overkill. 

Yes, I know this is purely speculation and absolutely no one know can predict the future and has probably been asked a million times but:

1.) When do you think I would be able to buy an RTX 3080 at retail (or very close)?

2.) Same question but for the 3090 (if different)?

3.) Is there any indication on when the next generation of Nvidia cards (4000 series) will be released?

Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

4 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

1.) When do you think I would be able to buy an RTX 3080 at retail (or very close)?

2.) Same question but for the 3090 (if different)?

about 1.5 years was the current estimation

4 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

3.) Is there any indication on when the next generation of Nvidia cards (4000 series) will be released?

yes but it doesnt really matter if they get released or not as silicon production will prevent any useful amount from being made

If your not taking advantage of all that power, and you aren't planning to play in 4K, go ahead and sell it, no reason not to.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

3 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

no fees either via Ebay due to a promo offer

Are you sure on that? You may have no listing fees, but I'd be surprised if you have an offer that waives all fees on the final selling price. 

If you really don't want it, you could sell it off. Impossible to say when the shortage or price will drop though. Could be more than a year for all we know. 

From a business perspective, yes flip it and make some cash. The struggle is real out there.

From a tech enthusiast perspective, if you sell it at scalper prices then you are no better than them and contributing to problem. Again, the struggle is real out there.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

about 1.5 years was the current estimation

yes but it doesnt really matter if they get released or not as silicon production will prevent any useful amount from being made

This is a weird question, but how the hell is silicon made? Can production not be ramped up? Yes of course global pandemic, but still, social distancing etc in place and make it work. Literally tons of demand right now for silicon in many different industries. 

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

8 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Can just sell everything and roll with some $700-900 144hz laptop

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you sure on that? You may have no listing fees, but I'd be surprised if you have an offer that waives all fees on the final selling price. 

If you really don't want it, you could sell it off. Impossible to say when the shortage or price will drop though. Could be more than a year for all we know. 

Lol, well the thing is I have actually already sold it on Saturday for £2,050 and only got charged £1 by Ebay due to their occasional MAX £1 fee offer. - I didn't put this in the main thread though as I didn't want the discussions to detract from the 'morality' of cancelling a sale and wasting a buyers time if that makes sense. (Yes I know it's pretty shitty, but ah well.) 

I'm just kind of regretting my decision whether to go through with it or not. (Regardless of the cancelled sale issues.) Yes, I only got charged £1 fees.

Just my two cents here, as cards don't seem to become available any time soon, certainly not in the next six months, and you still do want to have one in order to play games, don't sell your RTX 3090 before you have found an alternative. 

I myself was tempted by the current prices of graphics cards, due to the mining craze and was able to sell my RTX 3080 for more than double what I paid for it. I did however, already have a deal with a distributer for a 6900XT and pretty much got the card the same day I sold the RTX 3080. Before you ask, yes I did overpay for the 6900XT, but not only do I have better card now with new 3y warranty, I did make a good amount of cash in the process. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

14 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I'm happy to wait 6 months

do it

though im not sure what the situation will be after 6 months

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

When do you think I would be able to buy an RTX 3080 at retail (or very close)?

It'll be way more than 6 months, man. 

Same question but for the 3090 (if different)?

3090s actually aren't hard to get, they're just not anywhere near the $1500 MSRP they had at launch (even from places like Newegg). And they're unlikely to go down in price any time soon, honestly they might never go back down to their original MSRP. 

Is there any indication on when the next generation of Nvidia cards (4000 series) will be released?

It won't be in the next 10-12 months or so. We actually knew shit about Ampere 10 months out, there's absolutely nothing out there about RTX 4000 except some basic info (like that it's allegedly called Lovelace). 

Honestly man, I don't think you realize how lucky you are to have gotten your card at all, and then how much more lucky you are to have gotten it for the price you did. I also have a 3090 (EVGA XC3 Ultra) that I bought on launch day (camped out at Micro Center) for its MSRP of $1619.99, and there's no goddamn way I'd sell it, just because I've seen how much worse things have gotten, and there's not remotely any sort of hint that things will get better in the next 6 months. 

You say you don't game much anymore, but you need to realize that if you do sell your card, you're pretty much guaranteeing that you won't be able to replace it (at least without losing your profit) in the next 6-12 months, or even longer. 

I'd say if you are in any sort of financially stable situation.... and it's an actual choice as whether or not to have it , i'd keep it.

It's possible to get a card at MSRP (though not guaranteed). You probably have to do a few hours of research for anecdotal experience, and sign up for stock alerts from websites (though I'm personally not making any recommendations)

Alternatively, you could trade for another card (3080/3070) + cash to ensure you still have a good GPU. Plenty of people who wanted a better card, but just took what they could get. Though if it were me, I'd just keep it. Don't be that guy that sold their 2080 Ti only to buy another one for a lot more money later lol. I can't see an investment you could make that would return all that much in 6 months. Esp if chip shortages last longer than a year like the rumblings have been indicating.

you could do some folding with it

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Alternatively, you could trade for another card (3080/3070) + cash to ensure you still have a good GPU. Plenty of people who wanted a better card, but just took what they could get. Though if it were me, I'd just keep it. Don't be that guy that sold their 2080 Ti only to buy another one for a lot more money later lol. I can't see an investment you could make that would return all that much in 6 months. Esp if chip shortages last longer than a year like the rumblings have been indicating.

Bitcoin 😉

5 minutes ago, Red 🙂 said:

you could do some folding with it

Meh, i'm more about money tbh and could care less about contributing to a good cause. I am a piece of shit lol. Hence the name.

5 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Bitcoin 😉

Bitcoin isn't exactly a short game. Esp with how exchanges operate these days, but good luck to you.

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Bitcoin isn't exactly a short game. Esp with how exchanges operate these days, but good luck to you.

Well I consider it a short-game compared to other shares, maybe bar Tesla. I can honestly see Bitcoin hitting $100K within the next 2 years.

The tail risk that this will last very very long is exceptionally high. This would be if Fab capacity planners fail to stay ahead of the surplus of money crackup boomization AND that users continuously find value in upgrading their computing power.

Ray Dalio's "controlled deleveraging" is a lol tier joke very unlikely to play out like so in practice. Thus, they're just going to continue to stay ahead with liquidity and inflate debt levels.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

5 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

This is a weird question, but how the hell is silicon made? Can production not be ramped up? Yes of course global pandemic, but still, social distancing etc in place and make it work. Literally tons of demand right now for silicon in many different industries. 

Linux stated in his video( I was right and I hate it) that the chipmakers are already going at %100. There is no way to magically start pumping out more. You just have to wait for demand to be slowly met by supply.

Sell it on r/hardwareswap for MSRP, and trade+cash with someone who owns a 3070/3080 or something. That way you'll end up getting what you want, at MSRP, and get your money back. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

It's your card, do what you want.

Why would you be less the postage cost? The buyer always pays postage. Unless you're offering free shipping, but I don't know why you would on such a sought after item.

It's going to be longer than 6 months. Figure a year at least.

It's not hard to figure out when the card will be released. Just look at their previous release cycles. IIRC about 2 years between them. That won't change a silicone shortage though, and that's where the issue arises.

8 hours ago, tire said:

could sell it, just you might never get one for msrp again

Only because it'll be discontinued.

8 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

No. It's not that easy. Food ingredients are in short supply, lumber is starting to feel supply shortages, there's tons of sectors that are struggling because of the pandemic.

8 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Lol, well the thing is I have actually already sold it on Saturday for £2,050 and only got charged £1 by Ebay due to their occasional MAX £1 fee offer. - I didn't put this in the main thread though as I didn't want the discussions to detract from the 'morality' of cancelling a sale and wasting a buyers time if that makes sense. (Yes I know it's pretty shitty, but ah well.) 

I'm just kind of regretting my decision whether to go through with it or not. (Regardless of the cancelled sale issues.) Yes, I only got charged £1 fees.

If you've already sold it, you've sold it and you've made your choice. It'd be more immoral to back out of a deal you already made. Interestingly you should probably check your local laws, as a bid on eBay can be legally binding.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

No, its not that easy,one silicon plate (there is like 30 gpu cores) is making for 6 mounths. So what u now see is demand from 6 mounths ago or more, because it take some time to make pcb cooler ect. And there is huge demand from automotive and pc companies for silicon. Right now is made more silicon than ever in human history(1.2X more than 2020 and 1.3x more than in 2019 when there wasn't any pandemic) so no, there is more silicon than ever, but there is 2x more demand than ever before. Do some research before saying that u can make more silicon on a week for example. This is super long process. Yea u can make prototype in a mounth, but its only a prototype and its super low quality and its only for proof of architecture.