on the scale of 1 to 10 how crazy/foolish this idea is? will it even work?

for LN2 overclocking i have seen people using Kneadable Art Eraser to insulate mother board.
Now this just as one buys over clockabable things but never over clocks them.

if sometimes water cooling,faulty aio or rain (too much moisture bcuz of raim) can sometime damage your pc then why people don't insulate their mother boards?

(by insulating i mean insulating in such a way that it doesn't hurt motherboard, performance,cooling ofcourse)

if it's possible then is aesthetics the only thing stopping them from doing it?
if it's possible has anyone done it before onl for the reason of insulation and leaving aside overclocking?

how much area of motherboard can be covered with kneading art eraser tho without hurting it, without hurtin the performance?

also can one use KAE to cover capacitors of motherboard?

do capacitors need cooling?

i want to know How Long i can keep Kneadable Art Eraser covering a mother board? (and which parts should be excluded from covering?)

well it will also be help to protect mobo from dust😗 and will be easy to clean too.

People don’t do this because literally why, not so much that it’s hard. If you want to effectively waterproof your board, get some slot and port fillers and then clear coat the entire thing a few times.

You could cover the entire board in eraser too if you wanted. The only things that need their cooling detrimentally are power delivery and chipset components. 
All those little capacitors around the audio or the pcie power delivery don’t really need much cooling, they’re fine on their own. Don’t cover up mosfets or chokes or the capacitors on the cpu power delivery end because that will just result in disaster.

7 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

f sometimes water cooling,faulty aio or rain (too much moisture bcuz of raim) can sometime damage your pc then why people don't insulate their mother boards?

That's being paranoid. Technically you could die from heart failure at any time, would you go live in a hospital then?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Actually in higher humidity environments, static electricity is reduced. While it obviously won't be good to steam out your PC, your typical humidity won't harm your parts other than hasten corrosion. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

17 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

How much area of motherboard can be covered with kneading art eraser tho without hurting it, without hurtin the performance?

Well i can tell you its really easy to just push of SMD elements, that will result in your hardware not functioning anymore. So there is a definite risk.

17 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Do capacitors need cooling?

Normally not, altho they do have a working temperature. So you want them to be able to reach those temps. (or is that only for audio equipment)

All in all personally i would think the kneed-able stuff is only for when other options wont work.
You better of covering all the ports and spraying clear lacquer on it or similar like @8tgsaid.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

That's being paranoid. Technically you could die from heart failure at any time, would you go live in a hospital then?

plz check complete posti have also said this 👇

16 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

well it will also be help to protect mobo from dust😗 and will be easy to clean too.

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Normally not, altho they do have a working temprature. So you want them to be able to reach those temps. (or is that only for audio equipment)

no i am talking about every single capacitor on mother board

26 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

plz check complete posti have also said this 👇

these erasers stick to dust better than the motherboard itself... and you will scrap it off when trying to clean dust off the motherboard.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

32 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

you will scrap it off when trying to clean dust off the motherboard.

genuine questions -
with paint brush i would be able to scrap it off? (brush with 1-1.5 inch width)

canned air (impossible to get here with sane prices, so never used it)

cloth/good cloth - yes i always use it
paint brush - i use it to reach small corners, to clean capacitors, to put less force.

any other ways to clean motherboard?

32 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

these erasers stick to dust better than the motherboard itself.

well since dust stick to eraser more easily i will drop this idea/thought.
but what about plasti coating and clear coating? (not the coating entire thing ofcourse)

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

That's being paranoid.

actually this time it's me being lazyass.... trying to find a way to so that i have to clean my pc less often. since it's now a construction area it's lot of dust here now.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Technically you could die from heart failure at any time, would you go live in a hospital then?

i actually know someone who did this but not bcuz of the reason he might die bcuz of heart failure rather bcuz it's just that his home was way too far away from school and he is a drunkard too. he was my science teacher btw.
(in india you learn from outside classes not from school....)

22 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

these erasers stick to dust better than the motherboard itself.

so one can use them to clean motherboard? damn....
i wonder how efficient it would be.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

People don’t do this because literally why, not so much that it’s hard. If you want to effectively waterproof your board, get some slot and port fillers and then clear coat the entire thing a few times.

You could cover the entire board in eraser too if you wanted. The only things that need their cooling detrimentally are power delivery and chipset components. 
All those little capacitors around the audio or the pcie power delivery don’t really need much cooling, they’re fine on their own. Don’t cover up mosfets or chokes or the capacitors on the cpu power delivery end because that will just result in disaster.

oh a straight forward answer on this forum! thank you!

57 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

You better of covering all the ports and spraying clear lacquer on it

so aside from vrms,
what/where i should not spray it on btw?
and how many coats will make it water proof (the area where it is sprayed)?

thanks for replies btw!

28 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

so one can use them to clean motherboard? damn....
i wonder how efficient it would be.

Actually yes, erasers can be used to clump fine dust into eraser dust which is larger and easier to get rid of.

29 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

actually this time it's me being lazyass.... trying to find a way to so that i have to clean my pc less often. since it's now a construction area it's lot of dust here now.

Then you should try block dust better with the case. Dust filters in intended intake areas and seal off gaps elsewhere.

Desktop benching:

You're more likely to break something applying it than get any useful result.  It's a very dumb idea with zero upside.

6 hours ago, Lobstar said:

You're more likely to break something applying it than get any useful result

I doubt that. The only problem are chips on MOTHERBOARD (more precisely the small connections which go into the motherboard are fragile, sensitive.

But it can be overcame just by placing a hollow 2d geometric structures/shapes on the area which don't need to be covered with Eraser. Those hollow geometric figures will act as walls to the chips in them.

If overclockers do this as if this is normal to them then why can't others do? It's as easy as that.

But that's not the problem now.

which makes it useless to be used for longer periods of time, as jurrunuio pointed out, is that eraser sticks to dust better than motherboard itself. 

This I didn't know that earlier. Which renders this idea mostly useless.

So now I am looking into plasti coating or clear coating the mother.

What do u think about that?

7 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

But it can be overcame just by placing a hollow 2d geometric structures/shapes on the area which don't need to be covered with Eraser. Those hollow geometric figures will act as walls to the chips in them.

So now I am looking into plasti coating or clear coating the mother.

Is this all about dust?? What problem are you solving?  You're insulating the device.  You're putting mechanical stress on fragile components.  LN2 overclockers are solving a very specific problem.  You sound like the guy who puts a fart can on his Honda because 'the exhaust needs to flow' but has absolutely no other performance mods which would benefit from increased flow.  

4 hours ago, Lobstar said:

You sound like the guy who puts a fart can on his Honda because 'the exhaust needs to flow' but has absolutely no other performance mods which would benefit from increased flow.  

yeah you are saying too much now. yeah and you said that while others tried to help me bcuz they get it and helped me with other ways to actually do it! thanks @8tg, @HanZie82 and @Jurrunio

is this all about dust?? What problem are you solving?  You're insulating the device

one nobody is doing anything, it's all hypothetical and i haven't seen this being discussed much.
it's all about waterproofing first, dust proofing may come as a bonus see the topic/first post.

You're putting mechanical stress on fragile components.

actually no. secondly they are not that fragile.
and i have already said this too 👇

5 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

5 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

But that's not the problem now.

which makes it useless to be used for longer periods of time, as jurrunuio pointed out, is that eraser sticks to dust better than motherboard itself. 

This I didn't know that earlier. Which renders this idea mostly useless.

i guess u need to read whole conversation again from start of this topic.

Yes, Pretty foolish idea/conversation.

No, you don't insulate a board on ambient air cooling. 

Your case's dust filters help prevent dust on your board. 

There's no positive reason and or situation that you insulate for LN2 and run air cooling.

Why?

Probably because the word insulation.

You have nothing to insulate for at all.

There's no situation where this would become a great idea on ambient air cooling.

Even if chilling liquid and running sub ambient, often times you don't need insulation unless your dew point is high and you get a wee bit of condensation, then maybe, just maybe.... insulate. Even then, not really needed.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No, you don't insulate a board on ambient air cooling. 

so one should not insulate it with plasti coating or clear coating?
(not completely ofcourse just most of parts)

has anyone tried it?

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Even if chilling liquid and running sub ambient, often times you don't need insulation unless your dew point is high and you get a wee bit of condensation, then maybe, just maybe.... insulate. Even then, not really needed.

i see.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

and run air cooling.

Why?

Probably because the word insulation.

You have nothing to insulate for at all.

There's no situation where this would become a great idea on ambient air cooling.

no no, water cooling only is what i talking about.
and to be able to clean dust easily is just a bonus thing

1 hour ago, Orian Pax said:

so one should not insulate it with plasti coating or clear coating?
(not completely ofcourse just most of parts)

has anyone tried it?

i see.

no no, water cooling only is what i talking about.
and to be able to clean dust easily is just a bonus thing

The board is pretty easy to clean without a coating. Nail polish is often used, clear of course.

Painting PCB for the looks used to be a thing when the board was an ugly green or brown color. 

When I seal a board, generally dialectical grease and foam padding, some eraser.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nail polish is often used, clear of course.

wait nail polish is used to clean motherboard/it's parts?
(f*ck how did i forget it the guy i saw also said he might cover capacitors with nail polish if had to, for over clocking).

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

When I seal a board, generally dialectical grease and foam padding, some eraser.

1) you mean you seal your mobo while overclocking right?
2) what do you use foam padding for?

It's time to stop replying to the 12 year old.  He's a moron and that's that.  He's asking questions with no point as he can't answer the simple question of 'why?'.  First it's dust, now it waterproofing with no source of water on sight.  Also, who uses lacquer to clean things?  It's a sealant. 

11 minutes ago, Lobstar said:

First it's dust,

read the top most post. you still haven't read it i guess.

Also, who uses lacquer to clean things?  It's a sealant. 

also HanZie82  suggested lacquer to cover the mobo not to clean it, what are u reading?

He's a moron and that's that.

actually that's you sir, bcuz no one is getting riled up here. one after another everyone is telling what they would have done.

You're the one asking 'is it foolish' and I have responded.  You have not said you are water cooling or if you have a leaking AIO, you're just postulating scenarios which just don't happen.  No one who watercools is waterproofing their rig for the chance that it may spring a leak.  It's called a risk.  One you still haven't identified if you are actually taking or not so then it's just a speculative exorcise to waste time.  You've seen something people do for a very specific reason, haven't actually understood why they do it, and now are asking a community if you should do the same with absolutely no solid explanation of what you are trying to accomplish moving from dust to watercooling to rain "(too much moisture bcuz of raim)".  Where the fuck is your PC that it's getting rain in it??  Maybe if you were designing a pool area for a mansion or resort with a gaming computer sitting outside 24/7 we'd have a reason to entertain your moronic shower thought but as it is there are much simpler solutions like case filters that cost much less than voiding the warranty on computer hardware with fucking eraser and lacquer. You're mistaking people providing ideas for agreeing with you.  Every single post here is telling you how bad your idea is and yet here you are linking quotes like people are in agreeance.  I'd encourage you to actually watch some of the videos related to this board's youtube channel where they actually watercool things.  They aren't doing any of the bullshit you are suggesting because IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.  No matter the reason outside of the LN2 side which you clearly are not doing in the rain.  

Edit:  Just wanted to point out this gem.  Let this stew:  "hollow 2d geometric structures/shapes"  That makes perfect sense.  Nice job.  Great idea.

1 hour ago, Orian Pax said:

wait nail polish is used to clean motherboard/it's parts?
(f*ck how did i forget it the guy i saw also said he might cover capacitors with nail polish if had to, for over clocking).

1) you mean you seal your mobo while overclocking right?
2) what do you use foam padding for?

Nail polish to seal up solder joints. Not for cleaning. How did you mix that up?

Yes, seal for overclocking... with TEC, Dice or LN2.

Foam padding as an insulator. I don't have pics on my phone to demonstrate....