Free Nas Newbie...

DeltaGammaXray
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 minutes ago, DeltaGammaXray said:

I have the picture here. at the top of the stack is the Samsung SSD i ordered and is working, next is the USB stick that I used to install onto that SSD. I also cant seem to find Secure boot here within the Bios menu for this Mobo, but ive heard of it on other ones. Maybe im just not looking hard enough?

IMG-5758.jpg

Yea it looks like you have uefi, so you want to select the uefi options only.  The hdd BBS priorities won't chhange anything here, only the uefi ones will.

If its working, no need to touch secure boot.

Hi all,

If this topic has been answered to some caliber i dont mind deleting this but,

A couple days ago I watched someone turn their old Desktop into a server with FreeNas installed. I thought with my old parts laying around I could use them. An i5-4460, MSI Z97 Krait, 16 GB of Ballistix DDR3 Ram at 1600Mhz, and a gtx 960. I installed FreeNAS onto a Samsung 128GB 2.5" SSD, but i continually hit the same problem. Once the installation is complete and it says to reboot and remove the install USB, i follow the instructions, but it simply will not boot from the SSD. Is there something Im missing? Am i being a clown for trying to set up a NAS on a dinky old gaming desktop? TIA for any replies and look forward to hearing from yall!

25 minutes ago, DeltaGammaXray said:

Am i being a clown for trying to set up a NAS on a dinky old gaming desktop? TIA for any replies and look forward to hearing from yall!

No, not at all. My FreeNAS rig is an old Dell OptiPlex that's nearly 14 years old. Your system is WAY more than enough for a NAS. 

Do you have a spare USB flash drive handy that you could install the OS onto? Or is the Samsung SSD just a spare drive?

Also, I'd recommend pulling the GPU out unless you plan to use it for something. Otherwise your iGPU is fine. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

No, not at all. My FreeNAS rig is an old Dell OptiPlex that's nearly 14 years old. Your system is WAY more than enough for a NAS. 

Do you have a spare USB flash drive handy that you could install the OS onto? Or is the Samsung SSD just a spare drive?

I sure did that. FreeNAS 11.3-U5 downloaded and already loaded onto some generic USB stick that I have with Balena Etcher. I booted it and installed onto the Samsung SSD, and I know its there because everytime i come back to the launcher and REdo an install on that SSD, it says that there is a previous version and if I want to format and reinstall. I should be clearer lol sorry, basically i can install no problem onto the SSD, and when it says to reboot and remove the install USB i follow those instructions, but it doesnt load from the SSD. When I leave in the USB after reboot, it simply takes me into the same startup screen of Install/repair, Shell, Reboot, or Shutdown. It basically wont let me boot from the SSD and im perplexed as to why thats the case as i pretty much have followed every youtube tutorial i can find with the words FreeNAS lol.

Are you installing freenas in uefi or bios mode?  Is your motherboard set to boot hard disks from whatever the appropriate mode is?  If so, does it fail to list the ssd in boot menus *at all*, or does it attempt to boot and fail to find an OS on the SSD?

29 minutes ago, DeltaGammaXray said:

I sure did that. FreeNAS 11.3-U5 downloaded and already loaded onto some generic USB stick that I have with Balena Etcher. I booted it and installed onto the Samsung SSD, and I know its there because everytime i come back to the launcher and REdo an install on that SSD, it says that there is a previous version and if I want to format and reinstall. I should be clearer lol sorry, basically i can install no problem onto the SSD, and when it says to reboot and remove the install USB i follow those instructions, but it doesnt load from the SSD. When I leave in the USB after reboot, it simply takes me into the same startup screen of Install/repair, Shell, Reboot, or Shutdown. It basically wont let me boot from the SSD and im perplexed as to why thats the case as i pretty much have followed every youtube tutorial i can find with the words FreeNAS lol.

Did you change the boot order to seelct the ssd first?

Are you installing in uefi or legacy mode?

11 minutes ago, Rawhide_K said:

Are you installing freenas in uefi or bios mode?  Is your motherboard set to boot hard disks from whatever the appropriate mode is?  If so, does it fail to list the ssd in boot menus *at all*, or does it attempt to boot and fail to find an OS on the SSD?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you change the boot order to seelct the ssd first?

Are you installing in uefi or legacy mode?

Ive done both. And it is the only Hard Disk recognizable to the system besides the USB installer. But when the SSD is put to the top of the boot order it simply says the same as if nothing was installed (please install bootable media and restart, you know the usual message when you try to turn on a pc with an empty drive.)

Just now, DeltaGammaXray said:

Ive done both. And it is the only Hard Disk recognizable to the system besides the USB installer. But when the SSD is put to the top of the boot order it simply says the same as if nothing was installed (please install bootable media and restart, you know the usual message when you try to turn on a pc with an empty drive.)

Can you show what the boot menu looks like?

Are you installing in uefi or legacy mode? Is secure boot on, if so turn it off.

Just now, NZgamer said:

If you're a clown, then I'm the entire circus!  I'm running FreeNAS (now TrueNAS) on a 2014 Dell with a Celeron.

FreeNAS recommends you install it on a USB drive, which is perhaps why you are having issues with the SSD. 

I tried that previously, but was consistently met with install errors and problems saying that it could not install to another USB drive, so hence i went with an SSD i ordered from Ebay used. I checked and the whole drive works and functions as it should

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show what the boot menu looks like?

Are you installing in uefi or legacy mode? Is secure boot on, if so turn it off.

I have the picture here. at the top of the stack is the Samsung SSD i ordered and is working, next is the USB stick that I used to install onto that SSD. I also cant seem to find Secure boot here within the Bios menu for this Mobo, but ive heard of it on other ones. Maybe im just not looking hard enough?

IMG-5758.jpg

3 minutes ago, DeltaGammaXray said:

IMG-5758.jpg

Yea it looks like you have uefi, so you want to select the uefi options only.  The hdd BBS priorities won't chhange anything here, only the uefi ones will.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Changing boot type from Uefi+Legacy to Uefi made it work! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I had been racking my head for days thinking of alternatives, and then of course i miss one detail. Thank you Everyone else for helping as well!

Edited by DeltaGammaXray
Wording Error