How SHOULD I start a YouTube Channel?

I know, I already posted something like this before but that thread has died, and I want a new approach to this. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Should I introduce myself or get right into content?
  2. Is YouTube hard?
  3. How often should I upload?
  4. Is Video editing hard?
  5. How long should the videos be?

NOTES: I am doing one because I want to, not for popularity.

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

3 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Should I introduce myself or get right into content?

Either way works. Realistically, your first video probably isn't going to get much traction. But creating a channel trailer or something similar is good way to help plan out what you're going to do.

4 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Is YouTube hard?

Definitely. Even if your objective isn't popularity, producing high-quality content isn't easy.

How often should I upload?

Daily uploads work best with YouTube's algorithm, but if you're not focused on channel growth then it's up to you.

5 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Is Video editing hard?

No, but it will take some time to learn how to do it well. There are a ton of different solutions, but if you're looking to learn, grab a free 7-day trial of Premiere Pro and go to town for a bit. There are video tutorials online covering basically every question you could possibly have. 

7 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

How long should the videos be?

Again, ten minutes or more will perform best in YouTube's algorithm, but it's ultimately up to you. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

but if you're not focused on channel growth then it's up to you.

I don't know if this makes ANY sense, like I want my channel to grow, but I'm also not doing this for popularity, even though popularity would be AWESOME!

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

12 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:
  • Should I introduce myself or get right into content?
  • Is YouTube hard?
  • How often should I upload?
  • Is Video editing hard?
  • How long should the videos be?

1. Massively up to you, and depends on what kind of audience youre trying to attract. I personally learn that most of the time, your introduction engagement will be pure hot trash and audience will learn about you overtime anyway.

2. <insert any popular platform> is gonna be hard. If youre frustrated about views early on, youre fucked.

3. Up to your tolerance of "Quality". If you wanna take weeks to perfect it, go on (even though youtube WILL punish and poison the water for you, because they are favoring daily uploads)

4. Depends on how quick you can learn in general. Personally for me, it takes around 1 full day with Premiere and a lot of skillshare/youtube tutorials.

5. 10 minutes will be the target for algorithm, but do more or less up to your kind of content.

1 minute ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I don't know if this makes ANY sense, like I want my channel to grow, but I'm also not doing this for popularity, even though popularity would be AWESOME!

I know how it feels. Its also in my idea as i twitch stream. But imo, this is MASSIVELY DAMAGING. Because you will bias to one or another, and if you bias to the popularity, you lose the fun of content creation.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Depends on how quick you can learn in general. Personally for me, it takes around 1 full day with Premiere and a lot of skillshare/youtube tutorials.

Is Olive Editor a good video editor? It's free and it looks really advanced, but some say it's a really steep learning curve

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Is Olive Editor a good video editor? It's free and it looks really advanced, but some say it's a really steep learning curve

I personally havent use olive, ive used Davinci Resolve 16, Hitfilm Express, and Windows Movie Maker as far as free editors go (we dont talk about Filmora in my turf, please).

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

I personally havent use olive, ive used Davinci Resolve 16, Hitfilm Express, and Windows Movie Maker as far as free editors go (we dont talk about Filmora in my turf, please).

When should I start as a content creator?

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Just now, TheCoder2019 said:

When should I start as a content creator?

Again, up to you. There's no gain in starting later in the year, algorithm wise (except the myth that november and december is the right time, but so far i havent seen anything concrete about it), its all in your readiness.

35 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

if you want something "free" go for davinci resolve 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

13 hours ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I know, I already posted something like this before but that thread has died, and I want a new approach to this. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Should I introduce myself or get right into content?
  2. Is YouTube hard?
  3. How often should I upload?
  4. Is Video editing hard?
  5. How long should the videos be?

NOTES: I am doing one because I want to, not for popularity.

1. Up to you. See which one works for your viewers.

2. Kind of subjective. No one can answer that. Some might find it impossible, some might find it a walk in the park. Entirely comes down to your skill set.

3. Again, up to you and your viewers. Some people do amazingly once a week, some have to upload once a day.

4. Comes down to your skill set. Easy for some, hard for others.

5. IIRC 10 minutes nets you 2 ads and more potential ad revenue. I wouldn't worry about that until you're monetized. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hi, I know you got some replies already, but I will share with you my journey how I did it.

1. I never introduced myself, nor other YTers I was watching and subconsciously getting ideas how to do it myself. BUT sometimes I wonder if it would be good because people often think about different things or topics not related to my information or video or think I am just making comments to something I know nothing about. So this would clear things up. Such as who are you, what you want to share with people, context wise etc. Just my opinion. It all depends. If it will be obvious from your videos and what your work is about, then you do not have to. If you will have a mix, as I do, then maybe yes. 
  2. Depends what you mean. Starting youtube is not hard. Hard part is learning to do some stuff with editing software, how to position your lights, which phone or camera to use for recordings, or stepping it up with tripod, mic, and RGB lights, or green screen (I did not care much about video, mic or green screen, just lights first few years and got good views, but now I stepped it up a notch and still on a budget started doing better - mic, green screen, better editor/PC etc)
  3. The more the better! Specially if you are new and nobody knows you yet. Make 2-5 videos a week. Shorter ones - 3-5 mins, BUT pack it with information. Unknown people on YT with long videos, like 10mins +, are less likely to get views bc it will put new viewers off. So start with shorter ones. I wish I'd knew this years ago, bc I still consider myself as a beginner. So that is my focus as well. BIG pro of this is that in one day you can record like 10-20 videos and have them ready or slowly edit them all and then just schedule them for publishing. So you do not spend all day on 15-20mins video etc, as for example I did (setting up all right etc in small flat and room was tough).
  4. No, but if you choose to edit in Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere Pro, then yes. BUT you do not need After Effects for sure. I started with Sony Vegas and then moved to MAGIX or whatever they renamed it and then I noticed it does not serve me well and does not work smoothly with my 4K footage, not even with my new computer. Switching to Premiere Pro made it easier in a sense that it could do everything nice and smooth! Also, you need to research what editing software is best for you - I was wondering and tried many, but Premiere Pro is my number one choice. took me few days to learn the basics from YT videos and I am happy so far. Adobe Elements Pro does not have some things I would like to use so I stick to Premiere. I tried also other ones but it is just not it. So save yourself time by researching and start in Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas/Magix, if you do not record in 4K, I can highly recommend. Unless you already decided or found your winner. 
  5. Already answered. AND when you get some traction on your YT, then start doing longer ones, like 6-12mins ideally. 

PS I got professional video editor to make me my INTRO for my channel, to save time and nerves by doing it myself with copyright free music etc. But it is up to you.

My input. Hope it helps.

16 hours ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I would not use it as its description is telling it will or might be pain because version 0.2 is just coming and is unstable and version 0.1 is actually alpha, but a bit more stable than 0.2 so I do not recommend that.

9 minutes ago, Grey Eminence said:

I would not use it as its description is telling it will or might be pain because version 0.2 is just coming and is unstable and version 0.1 is actually alpha, but a bit more stable than 0.2 so I do not recommend that.

Ive got DaVinci Resove Studio 17, olove doesnt parse correctly

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

3 hours ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Ive got DaVinci Resove Studio 17, olove doesnt parse correctly

DaVinci is great choice. I wanted to work in it too but it did not do things I wanted. Now nothing is holding you back. Start making videos man!