Pc wont boot: Fans spin, bios updated, ram/PS fine

Jeo228
Go to solution Solved by Jeo228,

I used the AMD brackets it came with. After reseating it again it started without any pressure. I went into vios so it would recognise my new processor and then started up. I slowly attached my AIO over it and now my pc is running fine. running a tad bit hot but I misplaced 1 of the 4 retention screws so im sure with even pressure it'll cool better. Thanks everyone for the help, I think the fitting in the socket might just be a bit off when the previous processor came out without the lever being opened.

I just upgraded my computer today from a ryzen 5600x to a 5800x. Also installed an AIO. Set everything up, powered up the pc and...nothing. No display. My main monitor turned on for a couple secobds then went blank. Reseated ram, swapped ram, tried single ram, tried different power supply, reset cmos as well as clearing bios with the pins, swapped back to old cpu, nothing. Check all my connections were solid. When i plugged my old cpu fan back in, i did get a display, but the pc shut down after waiting for an enter bios command. Has since refused to boot again. Power button does not shut computer off, only turns it on. No error lights on the mb. Everything on this pc is brand new. Can someone please offer a potential solution?

Computer specs:

Operating system: win10

Cpu: ryzen 5 5600x

Ryzen 7 5800x

Gpu: rtx 3070 fe

Power dupply: super flower 850w 80plus gold

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B550F 

Bios: updated december 2020 by usb flashing tp use with my 5600x

Desperate for potential answers to this problem.

did you check for known issues with the bios update?

9 minutes ago, LostGBX said:

did you check for known issues with the bios update?

What do you mean? The computer worked fine after it was updated in december.

20 minutes ago, Jeo228 said:

I just upgraded my computer today from a ryzen 5600x to a 5800x. Also installed an AIO. Set everything up, powered up the pc and...nothing. No display. My main monitor turned on for a couple secobds then went blank. Reseated ram, swapped ram, tried single ram, tried different power supply, reset cmos as well as clearing bios with the pins, swapped back to old cpu, nothing. Check all my connections were solid. When i plugged my old cpu fan back in, i did get a display, but the pc shut down after waiting for an enter bios command. Has since refused to boot again. Power button does not shut computer off, only turns it on. No error lights on the mb. Everything on this pc is brand new. Can someone please offer a potential solution?

Computer specs:

Operating system: win10

Cpu: ryzen 5 5600x

Ryzen 7 5800x

Gpu: rtx 3070 fe

Power dupply: super flower 850w 80plus gold

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B550F 

Bios: updated december 2020 by usb flashing tp use with my 5600x

Desperate for potential answers to this problem.

As @LostGBX said try that and then

Check if the CPU sitting, ram sitting correctly

and pump pressure on CPU is right too

(Since u said u changed from 5600x to 5800x.)

CPU not sitting correctly would stop ram slots from working inturn only fans will rotate and motherboard won't boot.

(Well for shutting down u need to keep and hold power button.)

Does the 5600x still work in it?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Does the 5600x still work in it?

As stated above, unfortunately no

3 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

As @LostGBX said try that and then

Check if the CPU sitting, ram sitting correctly

and pump pressure on CPU is right too

(Since u said u changed from 5600x to 5800x.)

CPU not sitting correctly would stop ram slots from working inturn only fans will rotate and motherboard won't boot.

(Well for shutting down u need to keep and hold power button.)

Ill give reseating a few more times a try. One issue I had was when removing my cpu fan, the cpu came with it without the latch being open. I hope it didnt damage the internal contacts

RESEATING WORKED!

Thank you Orion. I have no idea how it didnt work after being reset 3 times but I guess 4th times a charm!

Gonna fix up everything and try again when its all put together again to make sure

12 minutes ago, Jeo228 said:

Ill give reseating a few more times a try. One issue I had was when removing my cpu fan, the cpu came with it without the latch being open. I hope it didnt damage the internal contacts

Hol up,

Try only one ram stick (working one)

I would recommend using old cooler.

(Well I don't bother to use any cooler in such cases since I gotta screw and unsrew time and time again if it won't be fixed in one try.)

There's a difference between

no signal and black screen.

If its a black screen then may be u should leave it at that for a while (max 5 minutes).

Disconnect the hard drive and all SSDs and nvme.

(i would keep only keyboard connected to it, other than that I would disconnect everything)

Check if Hdmi/display cable is connected correctly.

(Just swap the monitor end with pc end)

Just now, Jeo228 said:

RESEATING WORKED!

Thank you Orion. I have no idea how it didnt work after being reset 3 times but I guess 4th times a charm!

Oh-ho congratulations!!!

I added some more info in my last post if this happens again.

11 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Hol up,

Try only one ram stick (working one)

I would recommend using old cooler.

(Well I don't bother to use any cooler in such cases since I gotta screw and unsrew time and time again if it won't be fixed in one try.)

There's a difference between

no signal and black screen.

If its a black screen then may be u should leave it at that for a while (max 5 minutes).

Disconnect the hard drive and all SSDs and nvme.

(i would keep only keyboard connected to it, other than that I would disconnect everything)

Check if Hdmi/display cable is connected correctly.

(Just swap the monitor end with pc end)

The screens did turn on like they received some sort of input nut went off again "no black screen, off off. I had already tried a single ram stick. And yeah i wasnt reinstalling the coolers just plugging them in

So...still not working. After the first succesfull boot i reattached everything and turned it on again. Once again, there was no boot. It seems to only work tge first time its been booted with a new cpu?

Update: When pressing down on the cpu block, the computer boots up. The minute I take pressure off it looses signal.

I used the AMD brackets it came with. After reseating it again it started without any pressure. I went into vios so it would recognise my new processor and then started up. I slowly attached my AIO over it and now my pc is running fine. running a tad bit hot but I misplaced 1 of the 4 retention screws so im sure with even pressure it'll cool better. Thanks everyone for the help, I think the fitting in the socket might just be a bit off when the previous processor came out without the lever being opened.

2 hours ago, Jeo228 said:

I think the fitting in the socket might just be a bit off when the previous processor came out without the lever being opened.

daimn, that's a good heads up! thanks