Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there any benefit to Modern Standby on a desktop PCs?

I’m building a new computer and wondering if I should take Modern Standby-compatible hardware under consideration.  Particularly the PSU, as my Z590 motherboard should already support it.

MS seems better targeted at laptops and tablets, right?  I’m trying to think of why I would want it on a desktop computer.  Is it less buggy for quick waking from sleep than the older sleep modes?

If you find one, let me know. I never put my desktop(s) to sleep, I fail to see the point.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Mine’s a bit buggy when it wakes from sleep; sometimes being a bit sluggish for a while afterwards.  I usually just do a full shut down, since it reboots quickly with an SSD.  The new build should be even faster.

It’s nice to save working progress sometimes with sleep mode vs shutdown.

I use hibernate. It's nice to have everything the way it was when it boots, and saves a lot of el electricity.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you find one, let me know. I never put my desktop(s) to sleep, I fail to see the point.

i use sleep/hibernate all the time, i don't wanna reopen my shit everytime i boot it up lol

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB | iOS

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | MacOS Catalina

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

Is Hibernate better nowadays?  I've been disabling it first thing on every new build since years ago when it was recommended to do to lessen SSD wear.