Windows Detecting my headset as headphones

tobeornottobealttfan

Hi, 

So my current earphones have a mic and also three black lines in its connector. My laptop (Dell Latitude 5410) also has a microphone/headphone jack. But the laptop is not recognising the earphones as headset. Instead it is recognising it as headphones. 

I have the updated Realtek driver (both from Dell website and windows update). Also I checked my sound options. Only the laptop's microphone array is there. The earphones mic works perfectly on my phone. Generally in Dell's laptop, there used to be an audio driver which showed a dialog box upon plugging an audio device in the audio jack. I haven't seen that here in this laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

1 minute ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Hi, 

So my current earphones have a mic and also three black lines in its connector. My laptop (Dell Latitude 5410) also has a microphone/headphone jack. But the laptop is not recognising the earphones as headset. Instead it is recognising it as headphones. 

I have the updated Realtek driver (both from Dell website and windows update). Also I checked my sound options. Only the laptop's microphone array is there. The earphones mic works perfectly on my phone. Generally in Dell's laptop, there used to be an audio driver which showed a dialog box upon plugging an audio device in the audio jack. I haven't seen that here in this laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

If you are using windows 10 it shows pop-up of the connected device, there is a small drop down option in it, there you can select option of headphone with microphone, alternatively dell audio also prompts you to select the device, there you can select "headphones with microphone" option. If these still don't work, go to the sound control panel in sound settings and  go to recording section and disable other devices and enables yours by right clicking on your headphone's option..

Hope that helps......

Ryzen 5 2400G -B450M DS3H Motherboard (Gigabyte) - 16GB RAM (CL 16, 3000MHz) - 240GB SSD (Kingston) - 1TB HDD(Seagate) - 450W PSU (Corsair) 

Had the exact same problem.. My laptop was using the integrated mic rather than the mic on my headphones.. While other people complained that my audio was very faint, I tried to hold the headset's mic right next to my mouth. Took quite a while to realize that my laptop was using the integrated mic 😛

This might help:
Go to this location: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA

image.png.64bd0c01f2a73ff02f8d18adf00c631c.png
Over there, open RtkNGUI64.exe. An application should open. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and select jack information, and then check the box which says "enable auto popup dialogue..."

image.png.5f08e0450085458a38c583c1649d4483.png

With that done, each time you plug in a device in that audio jack, a popup should appear asking you about what device you've connected.

image.png.b8626d26eac41f818f9e3daf9db00656.png

Hope this helps. Please mark this answer as the solution to help others having this issue and stumbling upon this thread.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

7 hours ago, Lakshya Siddhi said:

If you are using windows 10 it shows pop-up of the connected device, there is a small drop down option in it, there you can select option of headphone with microphone, alternatively dell audio also prompts you to select the device, there you can select "headphones with microphone" option. If these still don't work, go to the sound control panel in sound settings and  go to recording section and disable other devices and enables yours by right clicking on your headphone's option..

The dropdown in windows show headphones and not headsets.

Also in sound options my earphone's microphone is not present. There is only the microphone array option. And as mentioned in the first post, contrary to normal, it does not show any pop up dialog when the earphones are connected.

image.png.8c4a1229988257c46f8a0cc33d103454.png

The screenshot was taken after connecting the earphones to the laptop.

Any more ideas?

7 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Had the exact same problem.. My laptop was using the integrated mic rather than the mic on my headphones.. While other people complained that my audio was very faint, I tried to hold the headset's mic right next to my mouth. Took quite a while to realize that my laptop was using the integrated mic 😛

This might help:
Go to this location: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA

image.png.64bd0c01f2a73ff02f8d18adf00c631c.png
Over there, open RtkNGUI64.exe. An application should open. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and select jack information, and then check the box which says "enable auto popup dialogue..."

image.png.5f08e0450085458a38c583c1649d4483.png

With that done, each time you plug in a device in that audio jack, a popup should appear asking you about what device you've connected.

image.png.b8626d26eac41f818f9e3daf9db00656.png

Hope this helps. Please mark this answer as the solution to help others having this issue and stumbling upon this thread.

That would have been great, but unfortunately, Audio folder does not have an HDA folder.

image.png.6ff6b52ccfdaf08c57dfee638281f13b.png

There is an HDADrv inside the Drivers but that has a setup.exe file which when executed spits out an error (Most probably because an audio driver is already running).

image.png.8afe33e80494b7ba78eea2e5e1512484.pngimage.png.034c2bb69f7203345c122bc503de447c.pngimage.png.16a3684ccb60b1c3b2afa6e22f172a11.png

I tried to run the "RtlUpd64.exe" file in the Drivers directory, but nothing happens (probably because it is an updater).

Any more ideas I can test out?

On 4/3/2021 at 12:46 AM, tobeornottobealttfan said:

That would have been great, but unfortunately, Audio folder does not have an HDA folder.

image.png.6ff6b52ccfdaf08c57dfee638281f13b.png

There is an HDADrv inside the Drivers but that has a setup.exe file which when executed spits out an error (Most probably because an audio driver is already running).

image.png.8afe33e80494b7ba78eea2e5e1512484.pngimage.png.034c2bb69f7203345c122bc503de447c.pngimage.png.16a3684ccb60b1c3b2afa6e22f172a11.png

I tried to run the "RtlUpd64.exe" file in the Drivers directory, but nothing happens (probably because it is an updater).

Any more ideas I can test out?

From your screenshots, I can see that you’re checking the program files x86 folder. That’s the 32bit folder. Can you check in the plain ‘program files’ folder?

Is your laptop having a 32bit version of Windows?

Also, can you send a screenshot of what’s inside the ‘InstallShield’ folder?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

3 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

From your screenshots, I can see that you’re checking the program files x86 folder. That’s the 32bit folder. Can you check in the plain ‘program files’ folder?

Is your laptop having a 32bit version of Windows?

Also, can you send a screenshot of what’s inside the ‘InstallShield’ folder?

There's no Realtek folder in the "Program Files" folder. The only Realtek folder is in the "Program files x86". The operating system is Win10 Home 64 bit.

And the "InstallShield" folder has the same "Rtkpd64" file, which when executed does nothing.

image.png.02f40913a24709b6aa5b3676ee03f0b9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Any other guesses?
The problem is really annoying given that the laptop microphone is far worse than my earphones' microphone.

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:22 AM, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Any other guesses?
The problem is really annoying given that the laptop microphone is far worse than my earphones' microphone.

I was having the same problem. But today it finaly got solved.

I unistaled the realtek drivers and downloaded via Dell Suport Assist, this way i'm garantid to have the correct version to my laptop. In addition i downloaded the Waves MaxxAudio Service that was missing in my machine. 

Another thing to consider is to check if those service are alowed to start with your machine boot. After this, just reboot your computer. 

This solved the problem for me. As son as i pluged the earphone, i got promped with the beloved window to choose the function of the audio device. 

Hope this was helpful :D

On 9/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, sahdo said:

I was having the same problem. But today it finaly got solved.

I unistaled the realtek drivers and downloaded via Dell Suport Assist, this way i'm garantid to have the correct version to my laptop. In addition i downloaded the Waves MaxxAudio Service that was missing in my machine. 

Another thing to consider is to check if those service are alowed to start with your machine boot. After this, just reboot your computer. 

This solved the problem for me. As son as i pluged the earphone, i got promped with the beloved window to choose the function of the audio device. 

Hope this was helpful 😄

Did that. 

The problem remains. 

Let's hope it goes away when I update to Windows 11.

Your Headset has a TRRS (tip,ring,ring,sleeve) if you look at the plug it has 3 black stripes.

Your Laptop has separate mic and headphone inputs each is TRS (tip,ring sleeve) that's 2 black stripes.

The TRRS is Tip - Left headphone, 1st ring - Right headphone, 2nd ring -mic, Sleeve - earth.
You need a y splitter to separate the mic and headphones...You may ask "Why does the mic have a 3 part TRS ? " well, the mic input is also a line input that is stereo-2 channels L+R. The TRS on the mic presents a signal to left and right inputs.Image 1 - AUX 3.5mm Audio Mic Splitter Cable Headphone Microphone Adapter Female to 2 Male

18 hours ago, gurubuzz said:

Your Headset has a TRRS (tip,ring,ring,sleeve) if you look at the plug it has 3 black stripes.

Your Laptop has separate mic and headphone inputs each is TRS (tip,ring sleeve) that's 2 black stripes.

The TRRS is Tip - Left headphone, 1st ring - Right headphone, 2nd ring -mic, Sleeve - earth.
You need a y splitter to separate the mic and headphones...You may ask "Why does the mic have a 3 part TRS ? " well, the mic input is also a line input that is stereo-2 channels L+R. The TRS on the mic presents a signal to left and right inputs.Image 1 - AUX 3.5mm Audio Mic Splitter Cable Headphone Microphone Adapter Female to 2 Male

Nope. 

Everything is working fine in Linux. (i can choose to use it as a headset or headphone). 

And the laptop have only one audio jack. 

I know this sounds stupid but if you had 2 of the y-splitters one that splits your headphone and mic and another that has female ends to bring them back to male TRRS then you can plug in the headphones first, and when Windows recognises it then plug the mic in..

I've noticed on one of out desktops that we use a y-splitter on...if you plug in the headset with the TRRS into the y-splitter that is already connected to the pc,

Windows sometimes only recognises the headphone and not the mic. When we unplug and replug the mic it then recognises it.

Have you get yours resolved?

Well, here's the kicker: Dell Latitude usually has another audio 'extension', which is WaveMaxx Pro Audio. This software is the one that detects the audio jack for headset. Without this installed, your system can only use headphones. This complicated things a lot and also causes confusion to most.

I work in a company that uses Dell Latitude, and boy fixing this audio issue is FRUSTRATING, but actually quite simple if you know what you are doing.

So, first thing first, download the audio driver that Dell provided. You will also need to download WaveMaxx Audio driver (it's actually a Windows Store apps). Last time they just include the link to open Windows store but some models they just install it. If your company restrict their laptops from contacting Microsoft store, this will be a headache. I have to 'secretly' switch over to my hotspot to get WaveMaxx Audio to install. Lenovo is kind enough to provide offline installer for their apps that use Microsoft Store appx extension and it makes my life easier.

After you done, install your Realtek Audio driver first. Once installed, restart your system.

Next will be WaveMaxx Audio. Install the WaveMaxx Audio. Now, even if the software doesn't tell you to restart your system, please restart your system. I faced this issue and thought something went wrong, but it just need to restart in order to get the WaveMaxx Audio extension working.

Yeah, this is one way Dell said 'Screw you for reformatting'. I don't like them because the system they ship out are FULL OF BLOATWARES and our company is using another brand of anti-virus. I usually have to format the system (which is the fastest and easiest way) and reinstalling the audio driver is very tricky.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 3:31 AM, tobeornottobealttfan said:

There's no Realtek folder in the "Program Files" folder. The only Realtek folder is in the "Program files x86". The operating system is Win10 Home 64 bit.

And the "InstallShield" folder has the same "Rtkpd64" file, which when executed does nothing.

image.png.02f40913a24709b6aa5b3676ee03f0b9.png

please i have the exact same problem but mine is an acer nitro 5, everything from microphone array to the Realtek folder is the same case as yours, have you found a fix yet I've tried everything from downloading the drivers from acer and Realtek but nothing works. I've been having this issue for a year now