What was the worst PC component/accessory that you regret buying?

Lakshya Siddhi
4 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

the gpu was listed as a 3090 ti and when i got it , it was a 1050 ti i got teh scammed T^T

Are you sure it's even really a 1050 Ti? It's probably a GTS 450. No way scammers send you something as valuable as a 1050 Ti.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Are you sure it's even really a 1050 Ti? It's probably a GTS 450. No way scammers send you something as valuable as a 1050 Ti.

they said it was a 3090 and i paid 300-400 usd i dont remember what teh price was but they listed it as a 3090 lololol

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

Kind of a 3-way tie for me between an ASRock N68C-GS FX, HIS IceQ 6570, and Corsair H115i, but I think overall the H115i takes the crown.

Both the motherboard and graphics card shit the bed, with the 6570 just conking out randomly and afterwards the mobo would just get more and more unstable, with the northbridge getting so hot it started to melt the fucking lettering off.

But the H115i was just such a letdown in all regards. Didn't really cool my G3258 much better than the 212 EVO I had previously (even when I set it to intake so it wasn't exhausting the heat from my 7950 too), and because Corsair in their infinite fucking wisdom decided to use airflow fans on a radiator, said fans hauled ASS trying to keep my coolant temp below 35C. Kinda wish I would have just nutted up to getting a Dark Rock Pro 4, but the idea of such a chonkin beast hanging off the board made me pussy out of it. And the cherry on top: I had two of them. The first one I RMA'd because it had a very slow leak around the barbs of the radiator after a few months. Nothing serious, literally just enough to keep the tops of the fittings wet. The second one had an trash pump from the day I got it and I just couldn't be arsed to try again.

But hey, at least now I have a beat-to-sin non-functioning AIO in the box that I still haven't been able to get rid of, and some bitchin airflow fans.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That award would go to the EVGA 680i SLi that cost me 300 and couldn't run a Q6600 @ stock.

I'm sure there are others but right now that's the one.

I think a bios update later fixed it, but fuck that board I sold it after 2-4 weeks of frustration.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

AsRock Z97 Pro 4, died (burned circuit) after 24 months so right out of warranty.

Then i replaced with a cheap ass msi h97 but i regred because i cant squeeze some extra juice out of my i5 4670k.

Another lemon was my netbook, Acer Aspire One 751h, it looked way nicer, with better design, battery life and bigger and HD screen compared to others netbook back in 2010, too bad has the weaker atom cpu ever and GPU acceleration compatibility was a nightmare due to powervx instead of intel designed integratore GPU

The first PSU I had in my old build before my current. It was a FSP Aurum S. I absolutely had no knowledge about PSUs so a friend recommended it to me and I went for it.

Unit works fine and all but I payed around the same amount as I did for my EVGA G3 but its non modular - terrible thick braided cables and considering the amount it had I basically nicknamed it "the squid". Also apparently its rating is a D on the PSU tier list. When I built my next setup one of my goals was to go modular and never look back.

I got a usb hub as a gift, but it was usb type 3 and required a separate power adapter, My old pc only had one usb port, but I upgraded soon after to my current laptop with two usb a and 2 type c, so I just ended up never using it

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

12 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Kind of a 3-way tie for me between an ASRock N68C-GS FX, HIS IceQ 6570, and Corsair H115i, but I think overall the H115i takes the crown.

Thanks for reminding me about the Enermax Liqmax 240S II that murdered my old i7-4790K lol. Once again, a lesson that a $45 AIO is probably a dangerous AIO.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Regret?  All of my PC components that I dont actually need.  I have more PC's, and components than people available to man them.  

BUT - that regret only sets in after I have done everything I wanted to with my shiny new toy, because Im like....now what to do? lol

And since I dont sell hardware...I then regret buying something I dont "NEED".  

BUT, it always provides me with a good time, so the regret is only realized after boredom sinks in 😉

You haven't seen what I've got laying around here - And I just bought something else last night:
And I've got multiples of at least some of them.

https://hwbot.org/user/bones/#Hardware_Library

As for regrets, well.... I guess that would be the Crossblade Ranger board, never ran well and I personally never used it for anything.
It's still around but now my dad is using it so, not a complete waste here.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

21 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Thanks for reminding me about the Enermax Liqmax 240S II that murdered my old i7-4790K lol. Once again, a lesson that a $45 AIO is probably a dangerous AIO.

Also a lesson that a, like, $100 AIO is probably a bad investment too.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

recently? gigabyte 3090

it's god awful, i can't even describe how much i hate it

but not enough to return it, still lol

i never returned an item before -thonk-

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

34 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

recently? gigabyte 3090

it's god awful, i can't even describe how much i hate it

but not enough to return it, still lol

i never returned an item before -thonk-

Sell it for a year of college tuition.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Sell it for a year of college tuition.

i have few options

1) sell it as you've said

2) send it in for RMA, complaining about the 110c VRAM temps and they'll probably offer a refund (but they might just send a card after seeing how much i paid lol)

3) deal with it (which im currently doing so, and hating it)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Can't really think of a bad component, but back circa 2005 I purchased a Dell desktop with a Pentium D CPU. All I can say is, this thing was a POS. It included a halfway decent GPU at the time (6800gt) but the CPU literally would bottleneck every game.

To make matters worse, I turned it on one day and heard a 'crack' and it never worked again.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Can't really think of a bad component, but back circa 2005 I purchased a Dell desktop with a Pentium D CPU. All I can say is, this thing was a POS. It included a halfway decent GPU at the time (6800gt) but the CPU literally would bottleneck every game.

To make matters worse, I turned it on one day and heard a 'crack' and it never worked again.

Pentium D + shitty mid-200's Dell engineering + the Great Capacitor Plague = 

Jared Leto Tribute GIF by 2017 MTV Video Music Awards - Find & Share on  GIPHY

8 hours ago, LTT_fanboy said:

it was a fake 3090 ti lololol it was like 200 dollars and listed as a 3090 it was a 1050 ti T^T i got big scammed

LOL, you actually got a deal on a 1050ti.

Sapphire HD 7770, which I bought for $ 45 from an internet cafe 3 months ago. Decoded deconstructed 2 at the time, but one broke down 1 month ago, and the other cuts the image from time to time.

13 hours ago, LTT_fanboy said:

it was a fake 3090 ti lololol it was like 200 dollars and listed as a 3090 it was a 1050 ti T^T i got big scammed

Be careful. Those things could actually fry a pc.

50 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

Be careful. Those things could actually fry a pc.

I've never heard of one doing that.

Just ones that have their names changed in gpuz.

Though it sounds like this is a 1050ti that someone called a 3090 on the listing, nothing modded.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

MSI GTX 770 Gaming and MSI Force G20 controller.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

AMD Phenom II 965 CPU and whatever motherboard I needed for it.
Piece of sh*t never worked properly.

Always got an HyperTransport Sync Floor Error out of it.

Replaced it after a few months of pulling my hairs and trying to fix it through BIOS, software and even hardware replacements, with an Intel i7 875. Which worked flawlessly from day one for 9 years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2x sets of 3 Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 (2 broken fans bad barrings poor quality fans)

Cooler Master ML120R (doa rgb/argb controller)

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

fallin into the initial ryzen hype and getting a b450 mobo and a 1300x instead of going with a i3 at the time when 1st gen ryzen was new. hard core stutters  with my 1060 at the time. but the b450 board held me down for a few years before I gave the system away when I made more money and upgraded. 

Cooler Master hyper212. That thing is pretty good at cooling, but wins the Nobel prize for worst mounting design. I'd honestly rather cool a CPU with a cheap Chinese cooler off of Amazon whilst tightly grasping the testicles of a hungry pissed off mountain lion, than a hyper212. I hope they discontinue those dreadful abominations.

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I've never heard of one doing that.

Just ones that have their names changed in gpuz.

Though it sounds like this is a 1050ti that someone called a 3090 on the listing, nothing modded.

Oh hope it’s an honest mistake in listing. I’m actually referring to counterfeit/fake/imitation cards. Like those listed as 3090 at incredulously low prices. If you’re lucky it will just not be recognized as the specific model, but as just a plug n play display driver. Other cases, it fries up the board.

was actually considering of buying a 3080 just for the heck of it. Worse thing that could happen is, I’d get a brick card. Or so i thought. Try YouTubing fake gpu off of ebays. I’m from the Philippines. The amazon we have here is called Lazada. Another is aliexpress. Try to search for them. Pretty entertaining.

here’s one: