Old Case, New Parts?

MikeD8791

Budget (including currency): $1,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Plex Media Server, general file storage

Other details Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me sort something out.  I'm building a new media storage server which will run plex, and let me keep all of my photos, music, etc. in one place, in addition to all of my DVDs I'm ripping so I can put them in storage instead of having them all in my living room.

I've ordered my new parts: Intel core i5 11400, AsRock Steel Legend H570 motherboard, 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix 3000 MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB), 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 NVME main drive, EVGA 750 BQ power supply, and a couple of Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives which I'll put in Raid 1.  (I'll get more storage as I start to fill this.)

Before someone says it, yes, I know I should probably get more drives up front and go Raid 5, but I don't feel like dealing with it since I had a Raid array die on me in the past and it was a giant pain.

My issue is this: I have this old (purchased in 2003) In-Win Q500 full tower case I want to try to use for this build.  It's been sitting in my basement for abut 10 years since I retired the Pentuim 4 system inside of it.  It has all of the drive capacity I could need for a server I plan on expanding.  My question is, have there been enough changes to the ATX standard since then that I won't be able to put the new board in the old case?  I don't care about lack of front panel connectivity, since this is literally going to sit in a corner of my home office and will only be accessed via remote desktop in Windows 10, and will be hooked up to a spare HDMI connector on the TV in that room for the rare times I'll need to access it directly.

Any serious help with this question is appreciated.  If it's not going to work, I need to order another case ASAP, which is tough to find something at a reasonable price that can hold 6 or more hard drives and a blu-ray drive for ripping discs.

Link to the really old case: https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/inwin500/

3 minutes ago, MikeD8791 said:

Budget (including currency): $1,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Plex Media Server, general file storage

Other details Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me sort something out.  I'm building a new media storage server which will run plex, and let me keep all of my photos, music, etc. in one place, in addition to all of my DVDs I'm ripping so I can put them in storage instead of having them all in my living room.

I've ordered my new parts: Intel core i5 11400, AsRock Steel Legend H570 motherboard, 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix 3000 MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB), 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 NVME main drive, EVGA 750 BQ power supply, and a couple of Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives which I'll put in Raid 1.  (I'll get more storage as I start to fill this.)

Before someone says it, yes, I know I should probably get more drives up front and go Raid 5, but I don't feel like dealing with it since I had a Raid array die on me in the past and it was a giant pain.

My issue is this: I have this old (purchased in 2003) In-Win Q500 full tower case I want to try to use for this build.  It's been sitting in my basement for abut 10 years since I retired the Pentuim 4 system inside of it.  It has all of the drive capacity I could need for a server I plan on expanding.  My question is, have there been enough changes to the ATX standard since then that I won't be able to put the new board in the old case?  I don't care about lack of front panel connectivity, since this is literally going to sit in a corner of my home office and will only be accessed via remote desktop in Windows 10, and will be hooked up to a spare HDMI connector on the TV in that room for the rare times I'll need to access it directly.

Any serious help with this question is appreciated.  If it's not going to work, I need to order another case ASAP, which is tough to find something at a reasonable price that can hold 6 or more hard drives and a blu-ray drive for ripping discs.

Link to the really old case: https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/inwin500/

Should work just fine. I'm pretty sure linus did a sleeper build with that case.

ATX is introduced in 1995, so it SHOULD work as intended. Im more worried on the airflow, because that dinky 92mm(?) exhaust definitely gonna starve the CPU of its needed airflow

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

I'm more worried on the airflow, because that dinky 92mm(?) exhaust definitely gonna starve the CPU of its needed airflow

Good looking out.  I thought of that, and it has room for 3 fans, so I'm going to make sure all of them are installed.  If I was gaming on it, I'd be worried, but it's literally going to run serving files as a NAS, and do media playback/encoding for Plex, that's it.  If it does become an issue, I know there are fan options that will fit in a 5 1/4 inch bay and I can always add one.

It should work perfectly fine. Just make sure the standoffs are installed in the right spots (they should already be) and you'll be good to go. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the end result. I love older cases like that. I don't have any full towers right now, but I've been keeping an eye out. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I don't think here has been any change of the physical ATX layout since it's inception.

Cooling the hdd may be an issue.

As you discovered RAID 5 is not a good choice for arrays of TB+ drives.

Have you considered using FreeNAS / TrueNAS Core as the o/s? Its ZFS file system can provide protection from unit failures with more flexibility than RAID. There is a Plex plugin for the o/s.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Have you considered using FreeNAS / TrueNAS Core as the o/s? Its ZFS file system can provide protection from unit failures with more flexibility than RAID. There is a Plex plugin for the o/s.

I did give it some thought.  But I already have an extra Windows 10 Pro license I'm not using.  Plus, I'm trying to do this all with 8 month old twins at home.  I know Windows, and it'll get the job done for me easily.  If I was planning to do more with it than stream to devices in my home, and occasionally on my phone I'd probably try to find the time to learn a new OS, but it's just not in the cards at the moment.

I wouldn't even bother hooking it up via hdmi,  just run remote desktop app on it and log on to it from your regular pc when you need/want to.   That way you don't even need a keyboard or monitor plugged in to it.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth.  Disclaimer: Australia doesn't actually have 2c coins anymore ... }

I think I've solved the potential cooling problem, as well as how to mount additional drives in the future and dealing with the missing drive bay covers.  In addition to 3 80mm Noctua fans for the case's built in fan mounts, I ordered one of these and an additional 120mm Noctua fan.  That should give me enough air flow, especially with no GPU installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0854QRSC2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1