After more than 8 years the first 13" MacBook Pro with a Retina display has been classified as 'obsolete' by Apple

ProjectBox153
19 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't need to research it, it's what actually has happened. I even reset it for him a few times to see if it fixed the problem, and it didn't. Just because someone has a different experience to yours doesn't mean they are wrong. And don''t be so arrogant, then you  might learn something too.

So I guess after experiencing these problems of my brother's and researching it to see if I could help him fix it wasn't enough then? what, I should go and buy another one or something?? 🤣

Anyway, another arrogant prick on my ignore list. This site gets worse every bloody week. 

Really? Is there any need to be name calling? When you don’t agree with someone it is better to be polite and argue your point in a calm, considered and informed way. If you just get angry and block everyone you don’t quite agree with you soon run out of people to talk to.

Back on topic... I don’t agree with many things Apple do, but the iPad mini in particular really is a consumable device. 7 years is not bad for the type of device it is. Apple do a lot of things wrong, and a lot right. They are no different to most other large companies. Consider the price of an iPad mini and compare that to many high end Android phones. When you consider that many of those Android phones loose security updates after just two-three years you soon see that Apple are actually quite good compared to some for length of support,

I had a hard time finding genuine replacement parts for my dell XPS back in 2018, 1/2 a year after I started using it so Apple's hardware support miles ahead of Windows laptop OEMs.

23 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Really? Is there any need to be name calling? When you don’t agree with someone it is better to be polite and argue your point in a calm, considered and informed way. If you just get angry and block everyone you don’t quite agree with you soon run out of people to talk to.

Back on topic... I don’t agree with many things Apple do, but the iPad mini in particular really is a consumable device. 7 years is not bad for the type of device it is. Apple do a lot of things wrong, and a lot right. They are no different to most other large companies. Consider the price of an iPad mini and compare that to many high end Android phones. When you consider that many of those Android phones loose security updates after just two-three years you soon see that Apple are actually quite good compared to some for length of support,

Thanks mate, it's nice to see that most people are here just for discussion and don't want to deteriorate into angry name calling. It's much better to have a polite discussion haha!

Agreed, glad people can see the point without just seeing the word Apple and going off on one! 😃

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

6 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

You're missing the point. The device itself still works perfectly fine, so apple by forcing obsolescence on it is not right. This kind of behavior only re-enforces what a scummy company they truly are... and also adds to the land-fill problems that the world has.

At least when some Android products reach EOL in terms of updates, they can still be used... and a lot can also be flashed with a ROM to keep them somewhat up to date at least for security.

Okay except there's a very real reason that the iPad Mini 1st gen is no longer supported:
It runs a 32-bit only SoC. That's the reason why they can't install a lot of newer apps (and also why they don't get iOS versions past a certain point).

Apple made it mandatory to support 64-bit, then eventually dropped support for 32-bit. You could say "Well they shouldn't have dropped support". Maybe - but then you run into the issue of app Developers sticking on 32-bit because it's already there, and holding the entire platform back.

That was a bandaid that needed to be ripped off sooner or later - I'm just glad it's over with.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 4/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, StDragon said:

That's OS support; which is still admirable. But hardware warranty is only good for up to 3 years with AppleCare+.

A Dell Latitude can be extended up to 5 years.

Yeah, I'm not counting just Warranty coverage.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

That's definitely good, although it reinforces one of the things that bugs me about support in Windows and Android circles: this tendency toward short-lived support unless you pay a premium for it. Yeah, it's great that you can get help with a decade-old business PC through a pricey business contract, but if you just bought a $500 consumer laptop? Be thankful if you even get three years, plebe.

Generally it's more practical for a business to have hardware to run some piece of custom software so they end up with those expensive support contracts, whereas us consumers are expected to change systems every few years since 3-5 years of us is a fairly long time for consumer pc hardware, but I'm look forward to the day where we don't have to upgrade so often and hardware support is a lot better on the windows side of things. Apple nor microsoft can touch the hardware support of linux if we're going to be totally honest about it.

19 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Not always the case

I know that why I said they can and not they will support it. Wouldn't be good business for them to support every businesses ancient hardware cause then some businesses would never upgrade, as it is some business still have win xp and vista systems deployed as daily drivers becasue they don't see it as necessary to upgrade them if they work.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Maybe - but then you run into the issue of app Developers sticking on 32-bit because it's already there, and holding the entire platform back.

Oh look microsoft, here's something decent you could take out apples book going forward. I legit don't know why they still have 32-bit windows 10 even though they said there wasn't going to be one

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

22 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Oh look microsoft, here's something decent you could take out apples book going forward. I legit don't know why they still have 32-bit windows 10 even though they said there wasn't going to be one

I'm sure if you research you'll find some majorly huge companies that no one here has ever heard of but pays tons of money to microsoft for licenses has mission critical software that's never been updated to 64 bit and the people who know how it actually works died 10 years ago.   That's why.

And I assume msoft made the cost/benefit analysis that shows rather than forking Windows to deal with that, keeping it as is is better.

As much as people like to embue companies with some kind of personality, it's really all just basic cost/benefit decisions that lead to these kind of things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my old iPhone that was discontinued 5 years ago, and stopped being able to get the new OS about 3 years ago, just gave me a notification of a brand new security and bug patch/update. 🙂

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I'm sure if you research you'll find some majorly huge companies that no one here has ever heard of but pays tons of money to microsoft for licenses has mission critical software that's never been updated to 64 bit and the people who know how it actually works died 10 years ago.   That's why.

And I assume msoft made the cost/benefit analysis that shows rather than forking Windows to deal with that, keeping it as is is better.

As much as people like to embue companies with some kind of personality, it's really all just basic cost/benefit decisions that lead to these kind of things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my old iPhone that was discontinued 5 years ago, and stopped being able to get the new OS about 3 years ago, just gave me a notification of a brand new security and bug patch/update. 🙂

You do know the 64-bit versions of windows does 32-bit emulation since 32-bit hardware doesn't exactly exist in wider consumer space hence making 32-bit versions of windows a waste of resources to develop and up keep, and if a business has mission critical software that only runs in 32-bit mode I can assure you those businesses aren't upgrading the os it runs on (unless it's linux) to lose that functionality or corrupting any databases that reside in it. They most likely will run that software in a VM or try their hardest to keep some spare hardware that they can transplant the needed parts to keep it running.