Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Posted (edited)

Summary

The well known custom Android ROM, LineageOS has been updated to version 18.1 based on Android 11. Some of the upgrades include March security patches, improved Calendar, Recorder, revamped Music app and a built in FOSS backup.

Also, all the LineageOS apps now feature support for the dark mode.

 

For full list of changes, check out the source.

 

Quotes

Quote

Man, it’s been a while!

 

Firstly, hey, how are you doing? 2020 has been notably tough on all of us in different ways. Most of us were either stuck indoors or uncomfortably out and about for most of last year. It affected every industry, company, and project in a different way. Given that LineageOS has developers spanning the globe, our contributors all felt last year to varying extents - but what is a community if not to be there for its members, and give them something to spend all that time stuck inside working on :).

 

With that said, we have been working extremely hard since Android 11’s release last August to port our features to this new version of Android. Thanks to our hard work adapting to Google’s fairly large changes in Android 10, we were able to rebase our changes onto Android 11 much more efficiently. This led to a lot of time to spend on cool new features!

 

As always, let’s talk about versioning conventions - you may be thinking “Shouldn’t this be 18.0, as AOSP is on 11, and not 11.1?”. As we stated in our last blog post, after 17.0, whenever we conduct a platform wide rebase, we will be incrementing our minor version. So, when we rebased on the December Android Security Bulletin (ASB) due to its fairly massive changes, LineageOS 18.1 was born.

 

My thoughts

Gonna wait for any LG G3 or Moto E 2015 build if they ever come to test if it can still run it.

 

Also, let's hope the team did not do anything out of the ordinary this time.

 

Sources

https://lineageos.org/Changelog-25/

https://www.xda-developers.com/lineageos-18-1/

https://9to5google.com/2021/03/31/lineageos-18-1-android-11-pixel-5-oneplus-8-more/

 

Edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn
Sources updated

I require no glory, only results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moto Mod phones already shipping with LOS 18.1. I feel so lucky to have a device always first to get the new builds.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

LinusWare Dev | NotCPUCores Dev

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait really!?!? Exciting news! I may try this on my One Plus 7 Pro cause I hate knowing google is collecting data. Mater of fact 20x more data than that of ios as I recently learned. Enough negative reviews of the previous version of LineageOS for my phone kept me from doing this already. May actually pull the trigger now. Now just really hope the camera quality isn't complete a$$.🤞  

 

Edit: And fudge, it's not available for my phone. At-least yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish there was Android version that's straight compiled AOSP with just required drivers for phone model X and that's it. No fancy extra features or anything. Literally straight, pure Android. So it could basically be compiled the moment Google drops the version in their repository. Then you'd just bolt Gapps on it if needed and that's that. It would require minimal maintenance and also wider support. Unlike even LineageOS which, because it's already so modified it takes forever to get new versions and maintainers usually drop them sooner or later because they just don't have the time to work on it. Assuming you could even find verison for your phone in the first place. Bigger problem would probably be hardware drivers which are about as shitty as Android long term support...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I wish there was Android version that's straight compiled AOSP with just required drivers for phone model X and that's it. No fancy extra features or anything. Literally straight, pure Android. So it could basically be compiled the moment Google drops the version in their repository. Then you'd just bolt Gapps on it if needed and that's that. It would require minimal maintenance and also wider support. Unlike even LineageOS which, because it's already so modified it takes forever to get new versions and maintainers usually drop them sooner or later because they just don't have the time to work on it. Assuming you could even find verison for your phone in the first place. Bigger problem would probably be hardware drivers which are about as shitty as Android long term support...

I'm not sure you realise how much work is put into keeping those device config for Android without the OEM's support. Here's the nexus 6 (10 000 commits). Android's config/drivers/kernel is not as "clean" as people imagine it to be.

 

You could also compile LOS 18.1 from source for many months now (December if I recall correctly). Many maintainers gave unofficial builds in xda's forum.

 

If you want a "clean" rom with day 1 support for a new Android version and without major modifications to AOSP, then I'm only aware of grapheneOS (security focused), but it only supports recent pixel phones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kvuj said:

I'm not sure you realise how much work is put into keeping those device config for Android without the OEM's support. Here's the nexus 6 (10 000 commits). Android's config/drivers/kernel is not as "clean" as people imagine it to be.

 

You could also compile LOS 18.1 from source for many months now (December if I recall correctly). Many maintainers gave unofficial builds in xda's forum.

 

If you want a "clean" rom with day 1 support for a new Android version and without major modifications to AOSP, then I'm only aware of grapheneOS (security focused), but it only supports recent pixel phones.

Literally nothing about Android is "clean". And still, people keep presenting it as this wonderful greatness. It's rubbish and it's why I've given up on it and just went with iPhone. With it, I don't even think of 3rd party ROm's when 1st party support is so good. If only any of Android phone makers would get it... It's just shocking that Google itself doesn't get it and they make OS itself and also order manufacturing to make a device for them specifically. It's like they learned absolutely nothing. Them being creators of Android should also be the first line in pressuring hardware makers for better and more open support. Instead everthing about Android feels like no one gives a shit for as long as they sell hardware that's basically devoid of any long term support. Even Samsung's 3+1 support is pretty sad because of massive delays. I mean, some devices wait for almost whole year to get the new OS version. It really sucks getting yesteryear big Android when new one is basically out already...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Literally nothing about Android is "clean". And still, people keep presenting it as this wonderful greatness. It's rubbish and it's why I've given up on it and just went with iPhone. With it, I don't even think of 3rd party ROm's when 1st party support is so good. If only any of Android phone makers would get it... It's just shocking that Google itself doesn't get it and they make OS itself and also order manufacturing to make a device for them specifically. It's like they learned absolutely nothing. Them being creators of Android should also be the first line in pressuring hardware makers for better and more open support. Instead everthing about Android feels like no one gives a shit for as long as they sell hardware that's basically devoid of any long term support. Even Samsung's 3+1 support is pretty sad because of massive delays. I mean, some devices wait for almost whole year to get the new OS version. It really sucks getting yesteryear big Android when new one is basically out already...

Honestly I'm tempted to go back to an iPhone. It's been 5 years. Though it's kinda strange that'd i'd feel embarrassed to have an iphone as I am known to be quite the nerd among friends & family. Carrying an iphone would be low-key embarrassing as the way the tech community has criticized & in some cases hate on Apple, though for some for very good reasons mind you. Atleast Apple appears to be more privacy focused at this time maybe cause they realize there's a good market for it. That can all change though and is why I'm hesitant to support a much more closed platform & not a more open one howbeit how much I dislike Google, the way they do some things, & their blatant political bias.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

Atleast Apple appears to be more privacy focused at this time maybe cause they realize there's a good market for it

Since Google sells ads which profitability is heavily based on personalization towards the client, I do not see how they can get rid of the 'data collecting king' title if they even tried their hardest.

I require no glory, only results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad my phone does not get the official support 😞

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Orcblood said:

Wait really!?!? Exciting news! I may try this on my One Plus 7 Pro cause I hate knowing google is collecting data. Mater of fact 20x more data than that of ios as I recently learned. Enough negative reviews of the previous version of LineageOS for my phone kept me from doing this already. May actually pull the trigger now. Now just really hope the camera quality isn't complete a$$.🤞  

 

Edit: And fudge, it's not available for my phone. At-least yet. 

I would recommend you read the original paper and not the articles surrounding it.

 

Reading the original source reveals that the volume is larger but iOS sends more device identifiers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Literally nothing about Android is "clean". And still, people keep presenting it as this wonderful greatness. It's rubbish and it's why I've given up on it and just went with iPhone.

Nothing about owning a car is "convenient" and still people keep telling me to learn to drive and buy, insure and maintain my own car. It's a huge hassle and it's why I just take a taxi everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Orcblood said:

Honestly I'm tempted to go back to an iPhone. It's been 5 years. Though it's kinda strange that'd i'd feel embarrassed to have an iphone as I am known to be quite the nerd among friends & family. Carrying an iphone would be low-key embarrassing as the way the tech community has criticized & in some cases hate on Apple, though for some for very good reasons mind you. Atleast Apple appears to be more privacy focused at this time maybe cause they realize there's a good market for it. That can all change though and is why I'm hesitant to support a much more closed platform & not a more open one howbeit how much I dislike Google, the way they do some things, & their blatant political bias.  

I stopped caring about what other people think and just go by what fits my needs.

 

Android phones used to be that. Now, it's the iPhone.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

 

The Portable Station (Intel-powered Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i)

CPU: Intel Core i5 1135G7 | GPU: Intel Iris Xe 80CU | RAM: 16GB LPDDR4X-4267 | Storage: 512GB PCIe SSD | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

 

The Communicator (Exynos-powered Samsung Galaxy Note8)

SoC: Exynos 8895 | GPU: ARM Mali G71 MP20 | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4 | Storage: 64GB internal + 128GB microSD | Display: 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | OS: Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Granular said:

Nothing about owning a car is "convenient" and still people keep telling me to learn to drive and buy, insure and maintain my own car. It's a huge hassle and it's why I just take a taxi everywhere.

That's totally not comparable. Also owning a car IS convenient. You can literally drive anywhere, anytime under your terms, your music, your AC and all your stuff you want to carry with you. Whether it's raining like crazy, freezing your balls off or scorching sunny. Good luck doing any of that with public transportation.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's totally not comparable.

It's exactly comparable.

Writing your own software for your Android phone IS a supremely clean process when compared to iOS where you have to 1) buy a computer from Apple 2) register with them 3) pay a subscription for the privilege 4) be subject to their whims and censorship when trying to share said software with others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Granular said:

It's exactly comparable.

Writing your own software for your Android phone IS a supremely clean process when compared to iOS where you have to 1) buy a computer from Apple 2) register with them 3) pay a subscription for the privilege 4) be subject to their whims and censorship when trying to share said software with others.

99% of people don't care about any of that. Just like 99% of car users don't care about any public transportation benefits.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

99% of people don't care about any of that. Just like 99% of car users don't care about any public transportation benefits.

18.5% of people live in China and absolutely care about the fact that Apple does not let them install a VPN on their iPhones to please the Chinese Communist party.

Many more Apple users don't care cause they're ignorant of how exploitative Apple's practices are, true. But that's not an argument for not caring. That's an argument for being bullish on Apple stock price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Granular said:

18.5% of people live in China and absolutely care about the fact that Apple does not let them install a VPN on their iPhones to please the Chinese Communist party.

Many more Apple users don't care cause they're ignorant of how exploitative Apple's practices are, true. But that's not an argument for not caring. That's an argument for being bullish on Apple stock price.

It's China. They don't allow VPN's even if you install them as they block most high profile VPN services. So, what difference does it make. Go complain to Chinese gov. It's their requirement, not Apple's. With China is you either play by our rules or you don't play at all. Complaining about Apple is just dumb when it comes to this. And if you care so much about it, then you just don't use iPhone. There is also the rest of the world that's not under Chinese rule and there we absolutely don't give a damn.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's China. They don't allow VPN's even if you install them as they block most high profile VPN services. So, what difference does it make.

The difference it makes is that if Apple did not have a monopoly on software distribution on iOS, there would be too many potential sources of VPN software for the Chinese gov to squash all of them.

 

You keep repeating that you don't care. I'm not trying to convince you that you do.

I'm just expressing my belief that it is important for the well-being of individuals and democracies that people be in control of the devices that much of their lives run through and that Apple is denying their customers this privilege.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Granular said:

The difference it makes is that if Apple did not have a monopoly on software distribution on iOS, there would be too many potential sources of VPN software for the Chinese gov to squash all of them.

 

You keep repeating that you don't care. I'm not trying to convince you that you do.

I'm just expressing my belief that it is important for the well-being of individuals and democracies that people be in control of the devices that much of their lives run through and that Apple is denying their customers this privilege.

Yeah, I don't care if you can't sideload apps on iOS. Coz frankly, I didn't care on Android either. It's just another infection vector where people just confirm everything and disregard anything just to run whatever. It's why Androids are so infested with all sorts of junk.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, I don't care if you can't sideload apps on iOS. Coz frankly, I didn't care on Android either. It's just another infection vector where people just confirm everything and disregard anything just to run whatever. It's why Androids are so infested with all sorts of junk.

As always when it comes to anything related to phones, it degrades to either Android bashing or Apple bashing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish custom roms can be as easy to install as the operating systems on your desktops. Just looking for a guide and the download link(without all the scammy ads and spamware downloads) for the correct rom that supports your device is a challenge in itself. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wasab said:

I wish custom roms can be as easy to install as the operating systems on your desktops. Just looking for a guide and the download link(without all the scammy ads and spamware downloads) for the correct rom that supports your device is a challenge in itself. 

I always check for ROMs for unofficially supported devices on XDA forums. Eventually some can be found on Android File Host.

I require no glory, only results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

As always when it comes to anything related to phones, it degrades to either Android bashing or Apple bashing.

Who's bashing anything? I'm just telling you how it is. I've been on Android for 10 years listening to same old tired bullshit about iOS that I'm still reading everywhere. Now that I tried it anyway and it's light years from what people say about it. It's very good OS and more people should try it. And stop giving a damn about all the stuff you can do with Android that's ultimately useless and pointless. It looks great on paper, just like hardware specs of every single Android phone. But in practice, it's all inflated and overhyped and you may just as well be better using iPhone in the end. But hey, it's your choice in the end and I ultimately don't care what you use. It just annoys the hell out of me still reading stupid lies about mobile OS and this bullshit attitude how Android is the ultimate answer to everything even though it's pretty shitty.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Who's bashing anything? I'm just telling you how it is. I've been on Android for 10 years listening to same old tired bullshit about iOS that I'm still reading everywhere. Now that I tried it anyway and it's light years from what people say about it. It's very good OS and more people should try it. And stop giving a damn about all the stuff you can do with Android that's ultimately useless and pointless. It looks great on paper, just like hardware specs of every single Android phone. But in practice, it's all inflated and overhyped and you may just as well be better using iPhone in the end. But hey, it's your choice in the end and I ultimately don't care what you use. It just annoys the hell out of me still reading stupid lies about mobile OS and this bullshit attitude how Android is the ultimate answer to everything even though it's pretty shitty.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but in the end, I fail to see how it relates so much to LineageOS. What's your take on this new LineageOS update?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but in the end, I fail to see how it relates so much to LineageOS. What's your take on this new LineageOS update?

That it has all the same problems as all the official Android variants. On top of apps now being super picky if phone is unlocked (just unlocked, not even rooted). Which wasn't the case in the past. Another massive annoyance is that most phones only get nightly updates. Which means you just get updates every single day. And since they are nightlies you're essentially a beta tester with neverending potential problems even if you want to update just 1x a month. Especially in such cases if you get a buggy nightly with issues and then either try it every day after that to see if any of nightlies fixes it or hope for the best next month.

 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort of LineageOS devs, but it's just that whole Android thing is just crap. Flashing LineageOS 17 on Galaxy S2 was fun, even though phone eats entire brand new battery in a day for absolutely no reason and runs like a turd, but someone ported it to Galaxy S2 from 10 years ago. I just can't see myself in bothering with any of this after being on iOS for 2 years now. It's just so much different and "just works" experience I just don't want to go back. I just worry more Apple won't do something monumentally dumb that will force me to ditch it and go back to crappy Android thing. Which is a likely scenario...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×