Will dual-die cards ever come back?

da na

As the title says. I don't mean having multiple physical cards, I mean having one card with multiple GPUs. AMD made a lot of them (called [model] x2),  and NVIDIA has made a few too, the GTX x90 cards that they made featured two GPUs. (As a firsthand user of a 4870 x2 I speak from experience for the next ones.) Of course, these had issues: very hot. Very very hot. Another issue is that in non crossfire/sli supported titles they ran with the performance of just one of the dies. Plus they required an extra little ASIC chip to sync the dies, consuming more power and making more heat.

TL;DR is there a possibility for a non-crossfire/sli dual GPU?

As AMD said in 2008: "The future is fusion." 🙂

I highly doubt it, as then it would be SLI/Crossfire territory and we all know that for the average gamer, this technology is dead. The only thing I can think of is maybe putting two dies on the same substrate, then there wouldn't be that bad of an issue, just power draw and heat that needs to be removed from the GPU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

As the title says. I don't mean having multiple physical cards, I mean having one card with multiple GPUs. AMD made a lot of them (called [model] x2),  and NVIDIA has made a few too, the GTX x90 cards that they made featured two GPUs. (As a firsthand user of a 4870 x2 I speak from experience for the next ones.) Of course, these had issues: very hot. Very very hot. Another issue is that in non crossfire/sli supported titles they ran with the performance of just one of the dies. Plus they required an extra little ASIC chip to sync the dies, consuming more power and making more heat.

TL;DR is there a possibility for a non-crossfire/sli dual GPU?

As AMD said in 2008: "The future is fusion." 🙂

its always you who has the wierd questions

AMD still makes them. In the gaming space Crossfire/SLI are pretty much dead due to how powerful single cards have become, but for workstation stuff there's dual GPU cards for really hefty compute loads. AMD currently has the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo (Apple carries em here: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MW732AM/A/radeon-pro-vega-ii-duo-mpx-module, I haven't seen any other variants in the wild), which is 2 64CU Vega II GPUs with 32GB HBM2 each on the same card. The Mac Pro 7,1 can handle 2 of those if you have the dough, making for 256CU of compute power with 128GB VRAM. I don't know if there's dual quadro cards or not on Nvidia's side. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

AMD still makes them. In the gaming space Crossfire/SLI are pretty much dead due to how powerful single cards have become, but for workstation stuff there's dual GPU cards for really hefty compute loads. AMD currently has the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo (Apple carries em here: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MW732AM/A/radeon-pro-vega-ii-duo-mpx-module, I haven't seen any other variants in the wild), which is 2 64CU Vega II GPUs with 32GB HBM2 each on the same card. The Mac Pro 7,1 can handle 2 of those if you have the dough, making for 256CU of compute power with 128GB VRAM. I don't know if there's dual quadro cards or not on Nvidia's side. 

Yeah, for CAD/workstation/server applications many GPUs are still dual, NVIDIA made a bunch of Tesla cards that had 4 GPUs on one card! 

As gaming cards? Most likely not, but for computational purposes I don't see why not.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18