Can’t boot windows after trying to format an unallocated partition.

Rylyguy

I have a macbook pro with both macOS Big Sur and windows 10 on it. I shrunk one of my partitions so I could also install Linux. I have rEFind installed so I can boot to all the OS’s. I booted to my flash drive with PopOS on it. Selected advanced install opened goateed from there. And formatted the 128gb partition I made as ext4. Then it showed it failed and my entire drive was unallocated. I instantly shut off my MacBook. I can still boot to macOS normal but if I try to boot to windows it just stays on a black screen. I can’t seem to figure out the problem so I’m not sure where to go from here.

22 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

I have a macbook pro with both macOS Big Sur and windows 10 on it. I shrunk one of my partitions so I could also install Linux. I have rEFind installed so I can boot to all the OS’s. I booted to my flash drive with PopOS on it. Selected advanced install opened goateed from there. And formatted the 128gb partition I made as ext4. Then it showed it failed and my entire drive was unallocated. I instantly shut off my MacBook. I can still boot to macOS normal but if I try to boot to windows it just stays on a black screen. I can’t seem to figure out the problem so I’m not sure where to go from here.

you need 2 partitions in order to install an os

Just now, majmagik said:

also if it is just black with no errors on screen the cpu might have died

3 minutes ago, majmagik said:

Ah ok. But that doesn’t explain windows not booting. 

1 minute ago, majmagik said:

There are SO MANY things that can cause a black screen without errors. Don't ruin their day by suggesting the CPU might have died. Because chances are, it didn't.

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

2 minutes ago, majmagik said:

Wdym cpu died. macOS still boots. 

Just now, Nathanpete said:

There are SO MANY things that can cause a black screen without errors. Don't ruin their day by suggesting the CPU might have died. Because chances are, it didn't.

Yeah if macOS still boots the cpu is fine. 

Open Finder, click the Go menu and click Computer. Check if you can see the BOOTCAMP disk in there. You should see your Windows partition, and you should be able to browse through it and see all the Windows files like "Program Files (x86)" and "Windows" etc...

If you still see that, then your Windows partition should still be working. I would then reset your NVRAM (hold Option+Command+P+R while the machine boots, it will chime twice, then let go. Then reboot and hold the Option key, then select the Windows partition in the Boot Picker and it should boot Windows).

If you don't see the Windows partition in Finder, or you open it and it's just empty, then unfortunately you may have erased the wrong partition. You will have to use Boot Camp Assistant to reinstall Windows again.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

On 4/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, Husky said:

Open Finder, click the Go menu and click Computer. Check if you can see the BOOTCAMP disk in there. You should see your Windows partition, and you should be able to browse through it and see all the Windows files like "Program Files (x86)" and "Windows" etc...

If you still see that, then your Windows partition should still be working. I would then reset your NVRAM (hold Option+Command+P+R while the machine boots, it will chime twice, then let go. Then reboot and hold the Option key, then select the Windows partition in the Boot Picker and it should boot Windows).

If you don't see the Windows partition in Finder, or you open it and it's just empty, then unfortunately you may have erased the wrong partition. You will have to use Boot Camp Assistant to reinstall Windows again.

I did see the windows partition and all of my files were there. I did reset nvram but it still didn’t boot. I then manually backed up like 600gb of files from that partition to an external drive and reinstalled windows. I’m slowly putting the files back onto this install. 

On 3/31/2021 at 9:38 PM, majmagik said:

Nope, it didn't, cuz they can still boot to macOS