98se pc build log any tips be heplfull

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 98 games only

so this is going to be a build log (i think this is the right place to put it?) of an 98se pc with pcie gpu.

project was inspired by this video

specs so far:

Mb: ASUS P5KPL-AM SE

GPU: evga 7800 gt 

Ram:2x1gb ram QIMONDA HYS64T64000EU-2.5-B2

CPU: Core2 Duo Processor E6300

Case: Thermal take mazart tx

pus: undecided

Sound Card: soundblaster Audigy_2_ZS

ssd: 120gb kingston

so day one making an bootable usb thumb drive i fallowed this

seemed to work then got stuck at an error the 4gb ram did not work so i ordered 2x 512mb ram and that worked

7hbseyxlvr551.jpg

then ran in to another error safe mode worked but the normal os did not and found out in the bios the ssd has to be set to compatibility mode and set to sata that worked

once in the os i install usb drivers nusb36e that i added to the windows os installer now i can use thumb drives.

then i installed the Win9x patch to use up to 4GB of RAM patch

found un official modded drivers NV8269 (as 98 only go up to 6800 and x850)

missed with that a bit and reinstalled the os a few times got frustrated and quit...the the night

today re installed the os a few more times and was like there go to be a way of uninstall video drivers so i found Driver Cleaner Professional 1.5 98se and that worked now i can reinstall the NV8269 drivers with out reinstalling the os.

so i found if i use the on board vga no gpu or any thing els in there let the os install its plug in ply drivers and let the onboard video detect the monitor pll2410w

then i put the pcie gpu 7800gt in and install the NV8269 drivers.

messed with the NVIDIA exe in the control panel and put the res up and some how got it to work...

well lets test it now so got 3dmark 2003 well need direct x8 to make it work.

and ran it but failed at the sound test as i dont have a sound card in there yet. got like 16000ish

so i found the iso for the sound drivers but i need to mount that so ill have to get daemontools then mout the sound driver iso i guess

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/daemon-tools-windows-98.html

so i was watching the video and said to install a  unofficial_windows_98_second_edition_service_pack_3.56 but i dont no what to install so... install it all... asked my a few tough question with a Y or N and well messed up the install i guess

so i will have to do it all over agane but that's 98 for ya...

things to do is install the e6800 cpu i got if i can some how install the 512mb patch i might be able to try a few more gpus

sparkel en8600 gts 256

palit force 9600 gso 384mb

evga 8800gt 512mb

maybe try an X5460 cpu

probly going to water cool it.

if i can find an pcie 1x 98se driver ethernet but that will probably be hard or some 2.0 ethernet... but this is a gaming only pc but its be cool to have Ethernet thow why not. phill said he found working driver for the mb but didn't say were...i looked and no luck.

any tips info likns be helpfull thx ill keep this one up to date.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

ok so i reinstalled the os... and everything els...few  but ware to start.

so i got daemontool installed and mounted the sound driver iso and installed that took forever and i dont no if i need everything installed...

any way sound works. installed winamp 5.35 i think and that worked.

dont no how to use the revere tuner yet

and for the heck of it i took the usb 2.0 utecksmart Ethernet adapter from my switch dont remember were i got it from but i have 2 of em probably for the wiiu and switch or wii and switch im guessing so well no 98 drivers on the disc as far as i can tell but looked up ASIX AX88772 drivers and found some and they work so usb 2.0 working on 98se.

so now i got firefox 2.0.0.0.20 to work but i think lots dose not work on it so ill have to look in to that. not that it maters anyway its a gaming pc not anything els. might get KernelEx to install other Firefox but for now probably call it a night.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

play round with installing the other gpus but the driver cant detect them so 7800gt it is. i want to get an cheap gpu and install with normal drivers to see if thing play better. maybe i need an older monitor too. i got recoil to work but part of the screen in missing and some of the sound dsoent work.  unreal only plays at like 500 by 500 rez. ut seems to work fine thow. have to get more games and try i guess.

installed the e8600 works fine.

looks like i can see this pc on the network but cant access anything so ill have to look in to that. normally networking is an pain for me...

Edited by thrasher_565

• 2 months later...

so update i got an monitor 4:3 1600x 900 off eaby Dell P2012Ht 20.

got a dell 6800 pcie off ebay for $35 so installed that and now i have that 1600x 900 rez so im happy about that.

the sound card is not working right as in recoil im only getting some sounds. im not getting the moving to the tank or full item pickup or shooting sounds so i might need a new sound card. i get the should when you kill a tank the the guy falls off.

unreal would not run thow passably i can install nglide and that might help.

ut works fine but a little of the sound is messed up.

need a better cpu cooler and need to mod the gpu cooler as its loud af.

still looking for2x  ddr2 800 256mb ram. the 1gig in there and that patch seems to work but if i can limante problems then that might be better.

few guys say not to use an ssd so might need to look in to an ide to sata?

also got another mb off ebay MSI MS-7387 say it has 98 chip set drivers but dose not say there se thow...so lets hope. and another dell 6800...well the price is right... also got another Dell P2012Ht 20.monitor as well...

still undecided on a agp mb for an 98se build and my 6800 ultra.

Edited by thrasher_565

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

71f1d8LjTFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

• 3 weeks later...

so i got the MSI MS-7387 got drivers installed. then i tried the auto patcher and well it changed how windows explore looks... and it reinstalled a usb 2.0 driver

and demon tools wont open an iso and it freezes a lot. so ill have to try and reinstall with out mb drivers and auto patcher i guess but that was the point in getting this mb was for the chip set drivers....

just got an jonsbodesing cr-1400 cpu cooler and man im in love not only dose it have an ARGB 92MM fan! but argb on top! now i just need 2 fans....

love the mounting too.

98se pc 005.jpg

98se pc 006.jpg

98se pc 007.jpg

98se pc 008.jpg

98se pc 009.jpg

98se pc 010.jpg

98se.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

• 4 months later...

hmm update i got an bistar k8m800 micro am2 mb with and 4000+ cpu in it and got an 5200+ coming. has agp so i can finly test my evga agp 6800 ultra and it works!

the fun part trying to get 98 on it. dose seem to have 98 driver for it.

also got an mis z87 g41 pc mate ill atemp to get 98se on that (other said they did get 98se running on it...)

and got an Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G that i know that 98se will run on it just dont no if a pcie card will run...

got an 8800 gt ill attempt to use the modded driver to see if that will work on 98se lets hope so. if it dose then ill get a water block for it. got a x5470 cpu for that. ram once running ill look in to some ddr3 1600 ram. i want the corsair donators gts. my dad has some as well maybe ill try get his but that would go well with my water cooled asus rampage extreme 2 mb just need a water block for it.

98se pc parts 001.jpg

98se pc parts 002.jpg

98se pc parts 003.jpg

• 9 months later...

well looks like i got a evga 6800 ultra pcie coming the ebay listing sad it was agp but the pics shows pcie so im hoping not...

new pc stuff 001.jpg

new pc stuff 002.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

• 4 weeks later...

well the pcie 6800 ultra was doa... too good to be true i guess at $140...

the ultra usb 2.0 card works thow so finally usb flash drives 😎

i guess i ll go with the ati radion x850 platinum... cant seem to get the 8800gt driver to work its not listed so i guess i messed that up..

wonder what ddr3 ram will work on that mb...

Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G

6800 0.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

well looks good so far need to run a 3dmark 20003 and a cpu bench mark maybe prime 95

x8503dmark20001.png

Do games that old even use 4 cores?

I think a c2d e8x00 would work fine here assuming those older games dont use 4 cores

From an oc prespective that board is trash but i assume you dont care about oc since tech that released 9 or so years after w98 would be able to run anything

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Do games that old even use 4 cores?

I think a c2d e8x00 would work fine here assuming those older games dont use 4 cores

From an oc prespective that board is trash but i assume you dont care about oc since tech that released 9 or so years after w98 would be able to run anything

98 or 98se cant use more then 1 core. you can emulate but its a pain. i done it trying to get carmageddon to work on a w7 is a proses

6 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

98 or 98se cant use more then 1 core. you can emulate but its a pain. i done it trying to get carmageddon to work on a w7 is a proses

In that case the quadcore is prob pretty useless, these also run really hot because terrible die -> ihs heat transfer requireing a delid or water over die to cool effectively past 1.4v

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

In that case the quadcore is prob pretty useless, these also run really hot because terrible die -> ihs heat transfer requireing a delid or water over die to cool effectively past 1.4v

cant delid 771 or 775 and ya its point less but the 12mb cash witch dont no if 98 uses but its there. i think this singal core beats the e8600 other wise people wont use it. if i cant get it stable enough then ill probably just use an 98se compatible mb and be done with it i guess.

53 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

cant delid 771 or 775 and ya its point less but the 12mb cash witch dont no if 98 uses but its there. i think this singal core beats the e8600 other wise people wont use it. if i cant get it stable enough then ill probably just use an 98se compatible mb and be done with it i guess.

Yes you can, delidded a p4 by just cutting the silicone adhesive and putting a candle to the ihs to melt the indium solder, theres also some unsoldered ones like the e7000 series c2ds where its the typical cut silicone adhesive and pop the ihs off with no heat needed

Though doesnt matter for non overclocking

• 3 weeks later...

98se new 004.jpg

98se new 005.jpg

98se new 006.jpg

98se new 007.jpg

98se new 009.jpg