YouTube to try not publicly displaying the number of dislikes on a video

pythonmegapixel
14 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I mean, its still an option. If you're a creator that cares about not looking at likes/dislikes, then its up to you to disable that option, I don't see why Youtube has to change this for people who DO think this the like/dislike system is decent. If you don't like the likes/dislikes, disable it. If you're okay with it as is, then leave it as is.

If only specific people turn off dislikes, it comes across as disingenuous, as untrustworthy. I don't trust a tutorial video with comments and dislikes off.

If everyone has it off, it's just the way it is. That's the difference.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

So, youtube is becoming more and more unappealing and irrelevant to mainstream users who don't drown themselves in political nonsense.

If I have no idea whether a video is well received, I have little motivation to view it. This is especially true with tutorial videos where I need accurate information. Currently, if a video has a disproportionate number of dislikes, I know the video probably provides misinformation. 

Something tells me this will increase garbage videos tenfold which will do nothing but harm the youtube platform. It's a shame because youtube started as something that was VERY promising, but it is pretty obvious that in the past few years, it has been taken over and politicized.

But, hey...At least Disney is happy about this latest decision!

The good thing about dislikes is that for informative type videos, if it has a bunch of dislikes (ratio compared to likes) you know it's either:

-Incorrect and wrong
-A scam of some sort
-Troll or just a bad video

I personally find this a bad idea. Now people can post mis-information and just disable comments and people will fall victim.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

7 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

The good thing about dislikes is that for informative type videos, if it has a bunch of dislikes (ratio compared to likes) you know it's either:

-Incorrect and wrong
-A scam of some sort
-Troll or just a bad video

I personally find this a bad idea. Now people can post mis-information and just disable comments and people will fall victim.

Again, dislike brigading is a thing.

You can actually use report for scams/violent/misinformation but YouTube has historically allowed algorithms to suspend accounts Willynilly.

Look no further than the gamer gate fiasco to see why dislikes and comments should be moderated by default. Getting brigaded by idiots who don’t even watch the video and react to the title, or thumbnail is bad engagement.

YouTube turned comments off on content flagged as “for children” for this reason

On 3/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, NumLock21 said:

YouTube don't want to hurt the feelings on youtubers. What's next? Give everyone participation play buttons?!

Woohoo! Where's my PP button!

wait

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, jtmoseley said:

If only specific people turn off dislikes, it comes across as disingenuous, as untrustworthy. I don't trust a tutorial video with comments and dislikes off.

If everyone has it off, it's just the way it is. That's the difference.

Exactly. It depends on if you prefer the first scenario or second scenario. I imagine there are just as many people who prefer the first scenario (what Youtube is right now), compared to the second scenario (where dislikes/likes are completely removed from public view).

I feel like this will be annoying.
Too many times I look up a video on how to *insert obscure thing here*  and the results lead to a lot of videos that just waste your time, are telling you to do it completely incorrectly (The Verge PC build anyone) or might actually cause more harm.
Can't tell you how many times Ive seen videos on electricity, that tell you to do some VERY dangerous things.
Like someone with no hint of sarcasm or humor telling you to do the kinda stuff you would see on ElectroBOOM, that causes the, well... BOOM. Usually you can tell by the Likes vs Dislikes if something falls into those categories.

58 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

I feel like this will be annoying.
Too many times I look up a video on how to *insert obscure thing here*  and the results lead to a lot of videos that just waste your time, are telling you to do it completely incorrectly (The Verge PC build anyone) or might actually cause more harm.
Can't tell you how many times Ive seen videos on electricity, that tell you to do some VERY dangerous things.
Like someone with no hint of sarcasm or humor telling you to do the kinda stuff you would see on ElectroBOOM, that causes the, well... BOOM. Usually you can tell by the Likes vs Dislikes if something falls into those categories.

I have never seen a video's likes or dislikes matter. All it does is tell youtube's algorithm which content is more engaging, while simultanously doing nothing about misinformation or clickbait.

42 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I have never seen a video's likes or dislikes matter. All it does is tell youtube's algorithm which content is more engaging, while simultanously doing nothing about misinformation or clickbait.

In my experience with looking up obscure things that only results in 3 or 4 videos with maybe a few hundred views, if a video is misinformation/clickbait, you will probably see 3 likes 35 dislikes. - Which yeah as you pointed out, tells Youtube its more engaging so it ends up on the top of the list vs the actual answers which get no likes/dislikes.

Most of the time likes/dislikes don't matter, but as long as such videos keep being the first results its better to at least have some indication that 'na this is bad don't watch' then nothing.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, Tieox said:

I can see this move going about as well as taking a dump on your mother in laws brand new designer sofa, slapping her with a wet kipper and asking for a cup of her fancy coffee.

Can I just say, the visceral descriptiveness of this made my day.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

This is a crap move by YouTube. As a viewer sometimes we need validation that others disliked a video like we did. We can’t booo on YouTube anymore! What are they thinking.

They should get rid of the rating system altogether, it's mostly meaningless. With rare exceptions, popular channels will just get a bunch of autolikes from their subscriber base and the occasional dislike bomb.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hmm bad choice YouTube. Either hide both or show both.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

can we just go back to 2006

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'll i will say here is Boooooo. bad move.

Edit: Also reminder that Odysee.com is awesome and a great alternative. 

This seems like a weird one to me.

Obscuring data for the sake of it not being the most fun to see...

Anyway, I have a tendency to always dislike videos that don't display the numbers.

Since in my opinion if you only want to be open to praise and not also be open to public critique then I'll dislike that.

So pretty much I'll be disliking a lot more videos now unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, MichelPostma said:

Since in my opinion if you only want to be open to praise and not also be open to public critique then I'll dislike that.

It's called lack of transparency :D

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

It's called lack of transparency 😄

That's true.

Also I fear that this will lead to 2 important things happening which YouTube would not like:

1. Easy Harassment targeting;  This option, when chosen by creators, signals to the world that they are specifically hurt by the dislikes so that they don't want them displayed (but still want the likes). This will make them an easy target for anyone who wants to go out and do some good old cyberbullying as they now have an identifier to go after and a place to attack, as they know that any dislikes, whilst not shown publicly, will still be seen by the creator. 

2. Harder to Identify bad videos; YouTube Rewind, Bad apology videos, Anti-Vax, Scams, Clickbait reaction videos, there are many just plainly bad videos on YouTube which people may click on. Generally a like/dislike ratio helps people to identify whether this video they watch is generally accepted or not. Displaying only likes completely removes this ability.

2 hours ago, MichelPostma said:

1. Easy Harassment targeting;  This option, when chosen by creators, signals to the world that they are specifically hurt by the dislikes so that they don't want them displayed (but still want the likes)

Just to reiterate- from what we know currently, this will apply to all videos. Of course, that might change, but for now, creators have no choice in the matter.

Creators can currently choose to hide both the likes and the dislikes, but not one or the other.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

19 hours ago, MichelPostma said:

That's true.

Also I fear that this will lead to 2 important things happening which YouTube would not like:

1. Easy Harassment targeting;  This option, when chosen by creators, signals to the world that they are specifically hurt by the dislikes so that they don't want them displayed (but still want the likes). This will make them an easy target for anyone who wants to go out and do some good old cyberbullying as they now have an identifier to go after and a place to attack, as they know that any dislikes, whilst not shown publicly, will still be seen by the creator. 

That's what already happens, again, look at the fallout from gamergate. The default should be to not display likes or dislikes on videos to prevent scraping by third parties first, (which btw even if comments are turned off, they can all be retrieved via API) , and there should be a requirement to have actually watched the video to leave a like or comment in the first place. 

Someone who turns likes off in their videos, doesn't care, or doesn't want that engagement. That's fine, but you deciding to dislike a video because the uploader has opted to disable an engagement metric is just you being petty.

19 hours ago, MichelPostma said:

2. Harder to Identify bad videos; YouTube Rewind, Bad apology videos, Anti-Vax, Scams, Clickbait reaction videos, there are many just plainly bad videos on YouTube which people may click on. Generally a like/dislike ratio helps people to identify whether this video they watch is generally accepted or not. Displaying only likes completely removes this ability.

You can report scams and misinformation already, dislikes have nothing to do with that. Dislikes disproportionately penalize smaller creators in discoverability and do absolutely nothing to big ones. 

On 4/2/2021 at 2:07 AM, MichelPostma said:

That's true.

To add to what Kisai said:

In theory it's harder to identify bad videos, but in practice dislikes are frequently used to trash good videos that bad people want to suppress. Anti-vaxxers will brigade a news video discussing the importance of a new vaccine, for example. Now, those efforts have limited effect, but ideally they'd be discouraged from doing it in the first place.

this is a fairly nuanced topic IMO.

1. I don't blame people that people use like-dislike ratio to determine the quality of a video or how dogshizzles it is but at the same time there have been many legit videos that have good information or is fighting against REAL misinformation that get disliked bombed to hell. And there are absolutely god terrible tier videos that have a good like-dislike ratio.

2. I don't blame people saying that removing dislikes is removing criticism or removing feedback from the community and just benefits the creator more. But at the same time, this can also backfire on the creator since many viewers clicking on the video, seeing the dislike ratio gone, can turn them away for obvious reasons.

I honestly don't know whether or not this is a good idea. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

19 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

this is a fairly nuanced topic IMO.

1. I don't blame people that people use like-dislike ratio to determine the quality of a video or how dogshizzles it is but at the same time there have been many legit videos that have good information or is fighting against REAL misinformation that get disliked bombed to hell. And there are absolutely god terrible tier videos that have a good like-dislike ratio.

2. I don't blame people saying that removing dislikes is removing criticism or removing feedback from the community and just benefits the creator more. But at the same time, this can also backfire on the creator since many viewers clicking on the video, seeing the dislike ratio gone, can turn them away for obvious reasons.

I honestly don't know whether or not this is a good idea. 

I think it’s more likely to be bad than good since hiding information from the public historically very rarely benefits the public.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I wonder what took them so long, after they clearly took money from various corporations like EA, to hide or reset likes/dislikes.

I expect in the future all websites that implement a like/dislike to no longer have a dislike only like buttons. If required they will motivate this with PC politics "no hate buttons", expected to see that aswell.