[Now Building] Self made case: 90° rotated + large fans

48 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i was just saying take his is case temps with a box of salt. more fans better fans and more rpm would get better temps in his case test  he picked 3 fans as most case can mout 2 up front and 1 in back.

nothing to do with your build. i was just pointing out on when you look as best air flow charts from him thow temps are based off his test rig only.

Ok great, thank you 🙂

So, I have only one doubt...

Assuming that I can’t rotate 90° cpu cooler (due to missing space between gpu and due to my socket not having squared mounting holes)

Assuming that i don’t want to change my design excessively

Assuming that gpu i/o must be accessible on the top of the case without cable extensions

Where and how should I put GPU to achieve the best gpu and cpu temp possible?

Thank you all guys!!!

17 minutes ago, lpdevIT said:

Ok great, thank you 🙂

Assuming that I can’t rotate 90° cpu cooler (due to missing space between gpu and due to my socket not having squared mounting holes)

Assuming that gpu i/o must be accessible on the top of the case without cable extensions

Thank you all guys!!!

air going in to the gpu and cpu should be straight any 90 degree turns will lower its performance.  up to you if you want to move the fans and psu. if not ok.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, lpdevIT said:

Ok great, thank you 🙂

Thank you all guys!!!

I've actually been teaching myself CAD and designing a case in my spare time because silverstone won't release new cases that come close the ft-02. Not that I'd ever be able to afford having the case made that I am designing, but I can always dream right. 

It's 300mm deep with a psu side and motherboard side. 3 180mm intakes and a 120 exhaust directly over the cpu. The psu side will have room for 2 420 rads and the bottom intake area has enough room for a 540 rad sandwiched by 180mm fans. If'n I'd ever go the water route 

for_rory.jpg

45 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

I've actually been teaching myself CAD and designing a case in my spare time because silverstone won't release new cases that come close the ft-02. Not that I'd ever be able to afford having the case made that I am designing, but I can always dream right. 

It's 300mm deep with a psu side and motherboard side. 3 180mm intakes and a 120 exhaust directly over the cpu. The psu side will have room for 2 420 rads and the bottom intake area has enough room for a 540 rad sandwiched by 180mm fans. If'n I'd ever go the water route 

for_rory.jpg

Wow, thank you for your post, your project looks great!

Obviously it’ll cost a lot of money to build a case like that...

Could you please share more photos about the project? Also one, if possible, with components in it... thank you!

16 minutes ago, lpdevIT said:

Wow, thank you for your post, your project looks great!

Obviously it’ll cost a lot of money to build a case like that...

Could you please share more photos about the project? Also one, if possible, with components in it... thank you!

Thank you for your kind words. 

I actually started making the design in sketchup back in January, but I kept getting into trouble with the design. In my research I came across many people not recommending sketchup and instead recommended fusion 360. After about 6 or 7 failures and restarting over from scratch, I have finally become a little comfortable in 360 and was able to design that. That screen grab is a few days old, and I am happy to report that I have almost finished the entire design. All I have left to do are a bunch of small things, like fan controller placement, hdd/ssd placement, cable management things, how the i/o will look, and one more component in the psu side for radiator / fan mounts. 

Actually, I would like to know how you put in that mobo and gpu in your design. My knowledge doesn't extend that far yet. 

I can upload a few more pictures when I get home tonight. Any angle or component in particular you'd like to see? 

3 hours ago, chimimoryo said:

Thank you for your kind words. 

I actually started making the design in sketchup back in January, but I kept getting into trouble with the design. In my research I came across many people not recommending sketchup and instead recommended fusion 360. After about 6 or 7 failures and restarting over from scratch, I have finally become a little comfortable in 360 and was able to design that. That screen grab is a few days old, and I am happy to report that I have almost finished the entire design. All I have left to do are a bunch of small things, like fan controller placement, hdd/ssd placement, cable management things, how the i/o will look, and one more component in the psu side for radiator / fan mounts. 

Actually, I would like to know how you put in that mobo and gpu in your design. My knowledge doesn't extend that far yet. 

I can upload a few more pictures when I get home tonight. Any angle or component in particular you'd like to see? 

I never tried Fusion 360 but I think it's way more complex than SketchUp. Also, I don't want my virtual project to be perfect in every detail... It'd take too much time! For example,  I never designed place for hdd/sdd and fan controller... I'll place them somewhere after I built first steps 🙂

I found mobo, gpu and cpu cooler on SketchUp 3D warehouse. I think there's the same for Fusion, don't know if those models work for both softwares.

If you can upload the 3d file of your project I'd be great! Also, I'd love to know where and how would you put your components inside your case (paint or photoshop will be ok for this part lol)

3 hours ago, lpdevIT said:

I never tried Fusion 360 but I think it's way more complex than SketchUp. Also, I don't want my virtual project to be perfect in every detail... It'd take too much time! For example,  I never designed place for hdd/sdd and fan controller... I'll place them somewhere after I built first steps 🙂

I found mobo, gpu and cpu cooler on SketchUp 3D warehouse. I think there's the same for Fusion, don't know if those models work for both softwares.

If you can upload the 3d file of your project I'd be great! Also, I'd love to know where and how would you put your components inside your case (paint or photoshop will be ok for this part lol)

Fusion 360 is a lot more cumbersome than sketchup, you can't just sit down and start making stuff. It took me many tries, watching many videos, and asking many questions before I was able to make something. But it is a lot more detailed than sketchup. That was my main problem I was running into sketchup with. But everything worked out in the end, I also found a new hobby. 

Sadly those sketchup files dont work in Fusion 360, nor can I find any good free ones for 360.

view 1.png

view 6.png

view 5.png

view 4.png

view 3.png

view 2.png

Looks really nice! What case size did you think of? I think it'll be almost 300mm wide, won't it?

Senza-titolo-2.jpg
So, will you put the psu in this spot right? And what is that big mesh square for?

Senza-titolo-2.jpg
Why do you have this psu support? Why not just place it over the metal part below?

aaa.jpg

I think I/O panel will be on top and that's fine, but what's that thing circled in red?

Sorry for the huge number of questions but without hardware components it's pretty hard to understand 🙂

Just to try, why don't you put some mobo and gpu inside with paint or photoshop?

Or, for example, this one is a nice gpu for autodesk. Or these two:

https://grabcad.com/library/rtx-3090-1

https://grabcad.com/library/rtx-3080-1

For the mobo I think you should try something like these:

https://gallery.autodesk.com/projects/34663/small-motherboard

https://grabcad.com/library/cpu-openair-chassis-1

https://grabcad.com/library/msi-b550m-mortar-wifi-1

This could looks like a cpu cooler

https://grabcad.com/library/alpenfohn-alpenfoehn-olymp-cpu-cooler-volume-placeholder-model-1

I think adding components, just to try, will help us to understand your project 🙂

Also, I just shown you're from JP: check out his YT channel, he is great! https://twitter.com/buccticti502

7 hours ago, lpdevIT said:

Looks really nice! What case size did you think of? I think it'll be almost 300mm wide, won't it?

Senza-titolo-2.jpg
So, will you put the psu in this spot right? And what is that big mesh square for?

Senza-titolo-2.jpg
Why do you have this psu support? Why not just place it over the metal part below?

aaa.jpg

I think I/O panel will be on top and that's fine, but what's that thing circled in red?

Sorry for the huge number of questions but without hardware components it's pretty hard to understand 🙂

Just to try, why don't you put some mobo and gpu inside with paint or photoshop?

Or, for example, this one is a nice gpu for autodesk. Or these two:

https://grabcad.com/library/rtx-3090-1

https://grabcad.com/library/rtx-3080-1

For the mobo I think you should try something like these:

https://gallery.autodesk.com/projects/34663/small-motherboard

https://grabcad.com/library/cpu-openair-chassis-1

https://grabcad.com/library/msi-b550m-mortar-wifi-1

This could looks like a cpu cooler

https://grabcad.com/library/alpenfohn-alpenfoehn-olymp-cpu-cooler-volume-placeholder-model-1

I think adding components, just to try, will help us to understand your project 🙂

Also, I just shown you're from JP: check out his YT channel, he is great! https://twitter.com/buccticti502

I'll look at the models you linked this evening. I spent 3 hours after work last night looking for motherboard files to insert, but they either weren't free, weren't the right file, or weren't the right size. Since I couldn't find that I didn't really look for other parts. 

The psu is elevated just to make it a little closer to the components. The case is 680x300x580mm. I don't care how big it is, I like big cases, the parts can breath well and the 180 penitrators can throw air very far, so it's not a problem. The support is simply there for reinforcement. 

The large mesh part on the psu side is for fans or radiators. There isn't enough space for triple 180s. But I left it tall enough for triple 140s and wide enough for dual 180s. Two radiators or two sets of fans can go side by side. I haven't added the mounting brackets for the fans/radiators yet. Also below the psu will be fan controller placement (if one fits) and above with be hdd/ssd mounts. Those have also not been added yet. 

Yes that is correct, the top is the motherboard i/o. 

The gpu mount is for vertical mounting of the gpu. This is for esthetics, better thermals, and plenty of space. It is on a movable mount, so that if I use water cooling, there is space for 32mm fan + 85mm rad + 32mm fan. The gpu shouldn't interfere with the motherboard at the top most position. But I haven't explicitly measured for that yet. The gpu would need a riser cable, that's why there are slots next to each position. 

19 hours ago, chimimoryo said:

for_rory.jpg

the vertical gpu ist not good turns out it more for water cooling.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

But I don't think anyone has ever tested one directly over three 180mm penitrator fans. They should push lots of air between the fins that are in vertical orientation 

15 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

But I don't think anyone has ever tested one directly over three 180mm penitrator fans. They should push lots of air between the fins that are in vertical orientation 

are you saying that you take off the gpu fans and use the 180mm fans to cool it?

well as far as i no gpu heat sinks are donw draft meaning it intakes air thow the fins and at the pcb then it gose left and right. in a nornal case that be air our at the mb and at the window. some will work its way up to the cpu area well some will be sucked back in to the gpu fan. i guess if there lots of air flow the air wont flow back at the gpu and just go up but i dont no.

in the vertical the gpu gets it air 90 degrees which it not as good as strate on. the air gos out the bottom and out the top agen if there lots of air it might not get sucked in to the gpu.

the best case would be 2 compartments one for the gpu and one for the mb so the hot air cant mix with each other.

i have some ideas of modding some case but my skill are no that good but maybe one day.

i been eyeing this case but at that price no way. it did go on open box for $80 i should have gotten it but i talked myself out of it. i wound mount the gpu upfront and add more fans.

other case i have is the lian li air witch can do air in from and side witch would be good for the gpu but i would need a wall to wall off the gpu from the cpu.

ino the antec lanboy has lots of mounting upfront but i cant find the case and im not paying $500 for one so...

you could do it in a case that had an basmet for mouting rads back in the day but they dont make case like that anymore like the obsidian 900 i think.

Edited by thrasher_565

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

are you saying that you take off the gpu fans and use the 180mm fans to cool it?

well as far as i no gpu heat sinks are donw draft meaning it intakes air thow the fins and at the pcb then it gose left and right. in a nornal case that be air our at the mb and at the window. some will work its way up to the cpu area well some will be sucked back in to the gpu fan. i guess if there lots of air flow the air wont flow back at the gpu and just go up but i dont no.

in the vertical the gpu gets it air 90 degrees which it not as good as strate on. the air gos out the bottom and out the top agen if there lots of air it might not get sucked in to the gpu.

the best case would be 2 compartments one for the gpu and one for the mb so the hot air cant mix with each other.

i have some ideas of modding some case but my skill are no that good but maybe one day.

i been eyeing this case but at that price no way. it did go on open box for $80 i should have gotten it but i talked myself out of it. i wound mount the gpu upfront and add more fans.

other case i have is the lian li air witch can do air in from and side witch would be good for the gpu but i would need a wall to wall off the gpu from the cpu.

ino the antec lanboy has lots of mounting upfront but i cant find the case and im not paying $500 for one so...

you could do it in a case that had an basmet for mouting rads back in the day but they dont make case like that anymore like the obsidian 900 i think.

For some moments I thought about putting gpu behind the mobo tray in my project. Do you think I would achieve better thermals for gpu and cpu?

I think it’d be a second version of my project...

12 minutes ago, cachethrash said:

Here's a bad picture of my own vertical/rotated case, there are dozens of us!

icube1.thumb.jpg.2b47370bb206821063d4bb6eafd27ee9.jpg

Hey, this looks really similar to what I'm building: can I ask you some more pics and details? Thank you 🙂

On 4/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, thrasher_565 said:

On 4/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, chimimoryo said:

Not over 180mm penetrator fans, but over 3 120mm fans is quite common in the Lian Li 011D, which I used in Rainbow 🦆 2020. 

20200802_153559.thumb.jpg.f6fb7b339d1c88455b7d7f119fb68ce2.jpg

Result? Fantastic temperatures. The upward firing fans heavily overcome the "bottom" exhaust of the GPU. 

Typically vertical cards are not recommended because native implementations put the card directly up against the glass for better visualization, but this as noted previously is only useful for water-cooled cards as Air cooled cards would not be able to draw air in. The way @lpdevIT has their design is perfectly adequate and will take strong advantage of the wall of air assisting in both providing fresh air and exhausting hot air (primarily out the top of the card)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Not over 180mm penetrator fans, but over 3 120mm fans is quite common in the Lian Li 011D, which I used in Rainbow 🦆 2020. 

20200802_153559.thumb.jpg.f6fb7b339d1c88455b7d7f119fb68ce2.jpg

Result? Fantastic temperatures. The upward firing fans heavily overcome the "bottom" exhaust of the GPU. 

Typically vertical cards are not recommended because native implementations put the card directly up against the glass for better visualization, but this as noted previously is only useful for water-cooled cards as Air cooled cards would not be able to draw air in. The way @lpdevIT has their design is perfectly adequate and will take strong advantage of the wall of air assisting in both providing fresh air and exhausting hot air (primarily out the top of the card)

Wow, thank you for your great answer!
I'm quite sure GPU temp won't be a problem; my only concern is about CPU temp, but I'm quite sure they won't be any higher than what I have right now (something like 70°C  - 158°F - for both CPU and GPU). What do you think about it?

Also, I asked Fouzan Alam, which is the creator of beautiful case Winter One, to check out my project and he said it'll work, yuppie 😄

Last thing: I tried to understand how would I start doing a CFD (Computational fluid dynamics) analysis of my case airflow: I found CFD-online to be the best place to learn, I got some infos about openFoam but right now I gave up because it looks too much effort for this project 🙂

1 minute ago, lpdevIT said:

Wow, thank you for your great answer!
I'm quite sure GPU temp won't be a problem; my only concern is about CPU temp, but I'm quite sure they won't be any higher than what I have right now (something like 70°C  - 158°F - for both CPU and GPU). What do you think about it?

<70ºC are IMO great temps for a CPU and GPU, though the lower you can get a GPU temp the better (especially with Nvidia) since it will try to boost itself based on thermal headroom.

However with the way your CPU tower will be installed, it's doubtful temps will improve as the fans directly next to it aren't  helping deliver air to the front intake fan of that card. If you really want to go custom and get max performance out of it, perhaps flip the fans and build a bit of an "air ramp" for the bottom-right 200mm to help air make that 90º turn into the CPU cooler tower.  I'm drawing in MS paint so dont mind my artistic skills

image.thumb.png.5a07c42222994b22cbba96ab489520a8.png

(Bottom phallic-looking object is a proposed support bracket)

However the more I look at it the more I dislike it, as there's a huge disparency between air coming in and air going out (its best to have equal amounts coming in and out like your initial design) but other than mounting fans to the bottom of the case, I am struggling to come up with ways to effectively get air into that CPU tower

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

<70ºC are IMO great temps for a CPU and GPU, though the lower you can get a GPU temp the better (especially with Nvidia) since it will try to boost itself based on thermal headroom.

However with the way your CPU tower will be installed, it's doubtful temps will improve as the fans directly next to it aren't  helping deliver air to the front intake fan of that card. If you really want to go custom and get max performance out of it, perhaps flip the fans and build a bit of an "air ramp" for the bottom-right 200mm to help air make that 90º turn into the CPU cooler tower.  I'm drawing in MS paint so dont mind my artistic skills

image.thumb.png.5a07c42222994b22cbba96ab489520a8.png

(Bottom phallic-looking object is a proposed support bracket)

However the more I look at it the more I dislike it, as there's a huge disparency between air coming in and air going out (its best to have equal amounts coming in and out like your initial design) but other than mounting fans to the bottom of the case, I am struggling to come up with ways to effectively get air into that CPU tower

lol Thank you for your artwork, I got your idea! I think I'll do many tries once I built the initial version of my case.

Right now I have an i7 2600k - socket LGA1155 - my motherboard is an Asus P8P67 and my cpu cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 (SecuFirm 2 mouting kit) looking at installation videos (the one I'll link below), I can't understand if it'd be possible to rotate the cooler 90° (ignore gpu and ram clearance right now).
Checking out this review of the Noctua kit + looking at these 115x measurements, I think I could rotate the cooler... do you think I'd get any temp improvements?

I think that rotating the cooler + moving GPU out of the way will improve temp a lot! Only bad thing is that I'd have to use pci riser cable...

well if you want good temps this would be best imo

replacing the gpu cooler or getting the best gpu cooler for that gpu like asus or evga or putting an attic cooler on it.

i seen the guy with the 180m fans vs nutua 200mm fan but i think the video was de listed and the performances was bout the same maybe the nutua fan being a bit quieter but he 180mm at on hi passing the 800rpm 200mm fan will proforma better but louder.

Edited by thrasher_565

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

well if you want goodtemps this would be best imo

I already knew the first 2 videos, but I won't mod my GPU cooler because it'd have to do for every GPU I buy; also, it'd make the GPU impossible to sell without getting the original cooler.

The third video is about the fans I bought, but I don't really get it...

For the fourth, I really don't like the angle he has at the rear of his case...

1 minute ago, lpdevIT said:

I already knew the first 2 videos, but I won't mod my GPU cooler because it'd have to do for every GPU I buy; also, it'd make the GPU impossible to sell without getting the original cooler.

The third video is about the fans I bought, but I don't really get it...

For the fourth, I really don't like the angle he has at the rear of his case...

ya the ange was so you can still plug in cables and use the back well still having air pull thow the case but he also like sli so that's something to point out. now a days sli pcie spacing is much better then back then for a bigger gap for air flow since cases now use tempered glass you cant mount a fan on the side any more so air from the front or bottom is best.

3 hours ago, lpdevIT said:

I think I could rotate the cooler... do you think I'd get any temp improvements?

I think that rotating the cooler + moving GPU out of the way will improve temp a lot! Only bad thing is that I'd have to use pci riser cable...

If you can rotate the cooler to be in-line with the airflow path and rotate the GPU (with vertical PCI-E riser) then that should significantly increase the airflow going into and out of your CPU cooler. You might not notice a huge dip in temperatures due to it only being a 2600k (being only a 4c/8t it only produces so much heat, at least compared to 12 core and 16 core CPU's now) but there should be some improvement (the 4790K in my Corsair 380T sits around 60-70ºC and has a very similar 200mm fan direct into a CPU tower flow)

PCI-E riser cables aren't terrible; just get one from a semi reputable brand (it's not a guarantee that the cable itself will be good, but rather you're buying a brand for the support it delivers) The one we used in Rainbow 🦆 was from Phanteks, but I know Coolermaster, Cablemod, Thermaltake and others sell them. There should be 0 impact on a GTX 1060 using a riser cable (I haven't confirmed it independently but I dont believe there is on the 5700XT used in that build either)

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you can rotate the cooler to be in-line with the airflow path and rotate the GPU (with vertical PCI-E riser) then that should significantly increase the airflow going into and out of your CPU cooler. You might not notice a huge dip in temperatures due to it only being a 2600k (being only a 4c/8t it only produces so much heat, at least compared to 12 core and 16 core CPU's now) but there should be some improvement (the 4790K in my Corsair 380T sits around 60-70ºC and has a very similar 200mm fan direct into a CPU tower flow)

PCI-E riser cables aren't terrible; just get one from a semi reputable brand (it's not a guarantee that the cable itself will be good, but rather you're buying a brand for the support it delivers) The one we used in Rainbow 🦆 was from Phanteks, but I know Coolermaster, Cablemod, Thermaltake and others sell them. There should be 0 impact on a GTX 1060 using a riser cable (I haven't confirmed it independently but I dont believe there is on the 5700XT used in that build either)

Ok cool, let's say this would be a version 2 of this project 🙂
The only thing I have to check is about ram clearance with the CPU cooler 90° rotated (so that it "follows" the airflow).
Also, I think rotated GPU needs to be very close to the motherboard, so that the pci riser cable doesn't affect airflow. Well, this would destroy my possibilities to add more pci expansion cards... the only other option is to put the gpu behind the motherboard tray (where I'd put cables and stuff) and check my mobo if I can use the last pci slot instead of the first (but I don't think I can)