Desktop Folder Showing to Take Up Huge Amounts of Space

Zakk8

I'm trying to clear up some space on my c drive. On windows settings storage it is saying that the desktop folder is taking up 64gb, when I know for a fact that it is no larger than 200mbs, mainly shortcuts. Now when I go to file explorer and check properties of the desktop fold it say 14tb. the drive is only 500gb so its impossible, (secondary drive is only 2tb so wouldn't make any sense at all for the file to be that big). How do I troubleshoot this problem because I am confident the drive usage reported by windows is faulty.

Might wanna check it with other software like https://wiztreefree.com/

Did you check of any hidden files and is this only affecting the Desktop folder?

Oddest thing ive heard in a while.

7 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Might wanna check it with other software like https://wiztreefree.com/

Did you check of any hidden files and is this only affecting the Desktop folder?

Thanks, completely forgot about hidden folders. Google back up and sync had some bloat file in there (tmp.drivedownload), uninstalled back up and sync long ago. The file was taking up 60gb (the amount that setting storage said). deleted the file. Thanks a lot.

1 minute ago, Zakk8 said:

Thanks, completely forgot about hidden folders. Google back up and sync had some bloat file in there (tmp.drivedownload), uninstalled back up and sync long ago. The file was taking up 60gb (the amount that setting storage said). deleted the file. Thanks a lot.

Oh great to hear! Though im still curious about that 14tb you mentioned...

9 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Oh great to hear! Though im still curious about that 14tb you mentioned...

yeah, when I checked properties on that folder it said 14tb. I think because some of it was based on the cloud (google backup) so the readings were inaccurate, but i have no idea,