NAS for icloud and google drive replacement

NAS for icloud and google drive replacement  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which one’s better for personal/home use (like torrenting, somewhere to dump photos and videos off my iphone)

• Ironwolf 2 x 4tb 5900rpm on raid dd220j
    • Ironwolf pro 8 tb single drive ds120j

I’m planning to set up a home NAS.

it will be used for:

1. to replace my google drive.

2. to dump my photos and videos from my iphone

3. To do some torrenting

4. About 2-3 users

5. For backup maybe as time machine for my mac and backup storage for my desktop.

questions:

1. do i really need to consider raid 1? I mean it’s for personal use. Files aren’t really THAT important but i don’twant them gone either. 
To make it as reliable as a google drive, is raid necessary?

2. Ironwolf 4tb 5900rpm x 2 on raid 1 on a ds220j OR ironwolf PRO 8tb 7200rpm on a ds120j?

2 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

I’m planning to set up a home NAS.

it will be used for:

1. to replace my google drive.

2. to dump my photos and videos from my iphone

3. To do some torrenting

4. About 2-3 users

5. For backup maybe as time machine for my mac and backup storage for my desktop.

questions:

1. do i really need to consider raid 1? I mean it’s for personal use. Files aren’t really THAT important but i don’twant them gone either. 
To make it as reliable as a google drive, is raid necessary?

2. Ironwolf 4tb 5900rpm x 2 on raid 1 on a ds220j OR ironwolf PRO 8tb 7200rpm on a ds120j?

If you use 1 drive for your ENTIRE backup and the drive fails, all your backup is gone.

For backup, I never use a single drive. Currently using a RAID5 array for my home backup, as I have a lot of GoPro files and the entire photo collection for my parents is stored on it as well. Can't afford to lose any data and playing it safe.

13 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

do i really need to consider raid 1?

Obvious. Google drive can do their own redundancy, but when youre doing your own backup,youre thinking about it yourself. I would consider RAID 1 if youre on a budget or as @Naijinsays, RAID 5 on a multiplication of 4 HDD. But mind you, youll need a box that supports raid 5 out of the box or get a computer and a PCI-E HBA card that supports it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Ye, i went for the raid 1 set up with a 220+ 😁 i was just wondering of getting the 120 ones with a 10 tb or 220+ on raid 0 and just religiously save and make backup copies, and just use it as a regular google drive and access my files easily over the net. Hoping someone has tried it and can convince me of doing the same. But on second thought, it won’t be efficient in the long run, and 2nd if for file storage only might as well go for the free nas setups. Decided on 220+ Over the 230j basically because my router will be happier to accommodate it. Product hasn’t arrived still but decided to put it on raid 1, opposed to my raid 0 idea. 

You always want redundancy if the data is at any level of importance. SMART is not an ultimate tool, had at least one HDD that just failed come back after a power outage (have UPS so the unit did shut down properly) and it did not have any bad SMART values...

i know a guy who losses some files because google drive deleted his account directly. No cloud its really safe, for a good backup strategy 3 backups its the ideal. Local, nas, cloud.

• 1 year later...

I always have memory problems with my phone. I constantly run out of memory and no longer have the strength to clean the phone. I used to buy storage on google drive, but it was very inconvenient for me to use this storage. So I decided to look for something else.