Xiaomi launches Mi 11 Ultra; What a beast

dizmo
4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I propose that we move away from measuring battery capacity in ampere altogether. Watt hours (Wh) would be a better way of measuring.

Would be rendered moot if there were more Qi chargers installed.

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Notifications screen on the back is rather useless. Coz it means you need to have your phone down on its display. Making it even more clumsy to use when you want the big display.

Can we just get LED notification lights in the front as standard now? Like, PLEASE? I had this on HTC Wildfire a decade ago and it was great. I also had it on Xiaomi Mi5. And you could adjust colors so you knew what is going on. General notifications, green light, SMS for example blue, missed call could be red etc. So you instantly knew what was waiting without having to even pick it up. One might say you just know what it arrived, but if you see it was missed call it's probably of higher importance than just a general notification from some app or whatever. It was really super useful feature.

Kind of. If you don't plan to answer it right away and just want to know when they come in, then it makes total sense. It's better to have it just in case than to not have it at all.

Definitely agree about the LED notification light though. RGB, preferably. Even my last phone had it, and this as my first phone without it, it's definitely missed. Sadly I don't think it's something I'm going to be able to find on future devices.

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I use mine every day at work actually 😞 I think I could get away with a 256gb phone model but SD card prices for their storage are WAY cheaper than having them built into the phone, so that's more of a "cost effective" thing for me. And I've never once noticed the large knockout on my S10+ and thought "God I wish that wasnt there.

The only concerning thing to me about a screen on the back of the phone is the added battery drain, so it's good to see a 5000mAH battery in it. Also, I propose we just start calling it 5AH; it's like saying my CPU is at 4400mhz at this point. (Unless 1000mAH =/= 1AH and I'm just silly)

Haha, the very vocal minority 😉 Are you anti dongle? Also, do you use decent headphones, and if so why not a USB C amp/dac for better sound? Genuinely curious.

I get the want for cheap storage, but at the same time with so much of what most people use being streamed, it just doesn't seem like an issue for the masses.

I don't think we'll see too much of a change with battery capacity numbers. Marketing would ball if they had to put small numbers on spec sheets 😂

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Don't worry, Sony is very close to releasing their 1-inch sensor for phones. If we're going for bigger is better then... 😄

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to release something like that, the RX100 sensor was used in a phone years ago.

Either way, it'll be cool to see them implemented.

Now where's the first m4/3 phone...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, the very vocal minority 😉 Are you anti dongle? Also, do you use decent headphones, and if so why not a USB C amp/dac for better sound? Genuinely curious.

I get the want for cheap storage, but at the same time with so much of what most people use being streamed, it just doesn't seem like an issue for the masses.

I have audiophile and regular grade Sennheiser's but I typically stick with the regulars (HD6xx's stay at the PC). I also do occasionally need to charge my phone while at work, so I'd need to get one of those USB-C to USBC+3.5mm jack adapters, which at work I guess would be fine but at home it'd be less convenient because headphones would all have to have 3.5 to USB-C dongles attached to them. So I would say I'm pretty anti-dongle, but not unrealistically so that I couldn't get over my own ego and just accept reality when I'm shopping for my next phone. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Find the mi mix fold more interesting.

The folding phone as whole intrigues me more, as more phone get released. Mostly for the 4:3 aspect ratio

Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-Fold-ufficiale-Italia-33.j

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Definitely agree about the LED notification light though. RGB, preferably. Even my last phone had it, and this as my first phone without it, it's definitely missed. Sadly I don't think it's something I'm going to be able to find on future devices.

*cough Sony Xperia  cough* 

Some people say Sony is still stuck in the mid to late 10s but I mean it's not a bad thing when it means dual front firing speakers (with equal volume), notification LED, headphone jack, expandable storage ect. 😄 

I mean I may or may not use all of it on my X5II, especially that micro SD card slot. 40GB of GoPro footage and 30GB of A7/A7R2 RAW/jpeg does take up quite a chunk of storage 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to release something like that, the RX100 sensor was used in a phone years ago.

Either way, it'll be cool to see them implemented.

Now where's the first m4/3 phone...

Probably because previously, there was just no demand for such a "big" sensor in a phone. Anyway, can't wait for the day that sony releases the Sony Xperia 1-RX1R with a full-frame 61MP sensor 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I made a comparison just to show how big this camera sensor is.

1/2.55" = ~28mm2

1/1.12" = ~98mm2

This sensor is 3.5 times as large as most top of the line smartphone cameras. There are a few exceptions like Samsung who, starting with the S20, moved to larger sensors.

It is absolutely bonkers how big this sensor is. 

I called the 1/1.33", 108mp camera from Samsung "fucking massive" two years ago, and this sensor is about 40% larger than that!

Untitled-2.png.0ec1c8d5691f46783b9289f564b501b0.png

Man, that sensor is absolutely gigantic by phone camera standards. 

Obviously doesn't hold a candle to a modern higher-end mirrorless camera with APS-C to digital medium format sensors.....but if you're comparing it to those, you're missing the point entirely. 

I find it no less of a remarkable achievement that they can cram a sensor that large into a phone that doesn't look all that weird relative to the market. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

23 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I have audiophile and regular grade Sennheiser's but I typically stick with the regulars (HD6xx's stay at the PC). I also do occasionally need to charge my phone while at work, so I'd need to get one of those USB-C to USBC+3.5mm jack adapters, which at work I guess would be fine but at home it'd be less convenient because headphones would all have to have 3.5 to USB-C dongles attached to them. So I would say I'm pretty anti-dongle, but not unrealistically so that I couldn't get over my own ego and just accept reality when I'm shopping for my next phone. 

It can't charge wirelessly while you work?

How often do you listen to headphones when you're at home? No speakers? I've owned pretty high end cans a few times but just never got the use of them at home when I have speakers that do the same job without having something strapped to my head.

Also, if you're that into music, why not own a nice DAP? You'd get better use out of the higher end headphones.

22 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Find the mi mix fold more interesting.

The folding phone as whole intrigues me more, as more phone get released. Mostly for the 4:3 aspect ratio

It had some interesting points, but IMO without a 120hz refresh screen it's a fail. At that price point, you should be including everything.

19 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough Sony Xperia  cough* 

Some people say Sony is still stuck in the mid to late 10s but I mean it's not a bad thing when it means dual front firing speakers (with equal volume), notification LED, headphone jack, expandable storage ect. 😄 

I mean I may or may not use all of it on my X5II, especially that micro SD card slot. 40GB of GoPro footage and 30GB of A7/A7R2 RAW/jpeg does take up quite a chunk of storage 

Probably because previously, there was just no demand for such a "big" sensor in a phone. Anyway, can't wait for the day that sony releases the Sony Xperia 1-RX1R with a full-frame 61MP sensor 

Eh, as long as they're using the 21:9 aspect ratio I have no interest. Their phones are also unnecessarily tall.

The nicest thing I think for your usage is being able to offload the footage to your phone from the drone (I assume that's why it's on there?). IIRC they have external hard drives that do the same thing, but that does add another thing you'd have to carry around. Tough call really.

Haha, I think there's always been demand there just hasn't been as much of push. Since the trickle down effect has a lot of mid range phones also having high refresh displays, lots of RAM, etc, they needed to find something to really stand out. Enter cameras. Plus Samsung has been pushing forward with their tech for quite a while, their aim is to produce a sensor that can capture 600mp since the human eye apparently only captures the equivalent of 500mp. It'll be interesting to see where it goes, and how big they end up making their sensors to accomplish that task effectively.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I made a comparison just to show how big this camera sensor is.

1/2.55" = ~28mm2

1/1.12" = ~98mm2

This sensor is 3.5 times as large as most top of the line smartphone cameras. There are a few exceptions like Samsung who, starting with the S20, moved to larger sensors.

It is absolutely bonkers how big this sensor is. 

I called the 1/1.33", 108mp camera from Samsung "fucking massive" two years ago, and this sensor is about 40% larger than that!

I can't wait for someone to try cramming a m4/3 sensor into a phone. It's only a matter of time.That'll be when someone makes a phone that's got an entire phat back.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

It had some interesting points, but IMO without a 120hz refresh screen it's a fail. At that price point, you should be including everything.

meh, it has 200% more screen than the normal mi, high refresh rate is nice and all, but i'd still give the edge to aspect ratio over it. 4:3 on a device that can still fit in your pocket: noice.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

The nicest thing I think for your usage is being able to offload the footage to your phone from the drone (I assume that's why it's on there?). IIRC they have external hard drives that do the same thing, but that does add another thing you'd have to carry around. Tough call really.

Not quite a drone (do have a custom built quadcopter but too small to lift a gopro), but I do use Sony's imaging edge app to offload photos off my MILC (A7R2 and previously my A7) and videos off my gopro for both as a back-up (to a second SD and google photos) and to be able to easily share em if required. Why have a laptop unnecessarily when you can just back it up to your phone, where you could also have three copies of it, 1 on internal storage, 1 on micro SD and 1 online? 😄 

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Eh, as long as they're using the 21:9 aspect ratio I have no interest. Their phones are also unnecessarily tall.

That is a common "thing" I see people complaining, with 21:9 being too "tall" whilst 19.5:9 (iPhone) and 20:1 (S21) is perfectly okay? Never understood it. As for it being too tall, it is quite tall but if you want a notch-less/hole-punch-less display and dual front-firing speakers, I think it's a perfectly fine trade-off. 

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I can't wait for someone to try cramming a m4/3 sensor into a phone. It's only a matter of time.That'll be when someone makes a phone that's got an entire phat back.

Why not go all the way and slap a APS-C sensor in? The difference between m4/3 and APS-C is similar to m4/3 and 1-inch (in terms of difference of length and height, not total area)

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

meh, it has 200% more screen than the normal mi, high refresh rate is nice and all, but i'd still give the edge to aspect ratio over it. 4:3 on a device that can still fit in your pocket: noice.

I was more comparing it to similar devices like the Samsung Fold2.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not quite a drone (do have a custom built quadcopter but too small to lift a gopro), but I do use Sony's imaging edge app to offload photos off my MILC (A7R2 and previously my A7) and videos off my gopro for both as a back-up (to a second SD and google photos) and to be able to easily share em if required. Why have a laptop unnecessarily when you can just back it up to your phone, where you could also have three copies of it, 1 on internal storage, 1 on micro SD and 1 online? 😄 

That is a common "thing" I see people complaining, with 21:9 being too "tall" whilst 19.5:9 (iPhone) and 20:1 (S21) is perfectly okay? Never understood it. As for it being too tall, it is quite tall but if you want a notch-less/hole-punch-less display and dual front-firing speakers, I think it's a perfectly fine trade-off. 

Why not go all the way and slap a APS-C sensor in? The difference between m4/3 and APS-C is similar to m4/3 and 1-inch (in terms of difference of length and height, not total area)

For me, it's that the aspect ratio isn't wide enough. The height of Sony phones comes down mostly to the way they're designed, it's only partially the screen aspect ratio that plays into that.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I was more comparing it to similar devices like the Samsung Fold2

yeah but samsung.

Stopped picking their phones after the ruined the Note series with the Note 5

52 minutes ago, dizmo said:

For me, it's that the aspect ratio isn't wide enough. The height of Sony phones comes down mostly to the way they're designed, it's only partially the screen aspect ratio that plays into that.

When you say "wide", do you mean in portrait or landscape orientation? If landscape, you can't get anything wider whilst in portrait, had I not been using a flip case, the X5 II is about as wide as a phone can be for me to use one handed so I personally think it's "wide" enough 😛 

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

yeah but samsung.

Stopped picking their phones after the ruined the Note series with the Note 5

How so? Note5 was probably my favorite phone I've had.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

When you say "wide", do you mean in portrait or landscape orientation? If landscape, you can't get anything wider whilst in portrait, had I not been using a flip case, the X5 II is about as wide as a phone can be for me to use one handed so I personally think it's "wide" enough 😛 

I mean the physical width of the display when it's held as a phone. It's a pain for me to type on anything that narrow.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I mean the physical width of the display when it's held as a phone. It's a pain for me to type on anything that narrow.

Ah fairs. I guess because I've always had narrow/smaller phones with the iphone 5, Z3C, Xperia 1 and now my current Xperia 5 II (primary)/iPhone SE2 (secondary/for Japan), I'm just used to something nice n narrow. Mind you, I did use a Poco F1 at a point and tbh, that was too wide for me. My hands are tiny 😂

38 minutes ago, dizmo said:

all glass, non removable battery, drop the sd card (only to bring it back the year later)

For me who went through a Note 2 and 4, the 5 and later have all been disappointing. And reason enough to not buy from Sammy ever again

On 4/1/2021 at 1:58 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah fairs. I guess because I've always had narrow/smaller phones with the iphone 5, Z3C, Xperia 1 and now my current Xperia 5 II (primary)/iPhone SE2 (secondary/for Japan), I'm just used to something nice n narrow. Mind you, I did use a Poco F1 at a point and tbh, that was too wide for me. My hands are tiny 😂

Haha, yeah wide thumbs make all of those phones complete nightmares for me. I wasn't even a fan of my S8, compared to the S20 FE that replaced it...and I wouldn't mind a phone even a bit wider than that.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:19 PM, suicidalfranco said:

all glass, non removable battery, drop the sd card (only to bring it back the year later)

For me who went through a Note 2 and 4, the 5 and later have all been disappointing. And reason enough to not buy from Sammy ever again

Ahhh. I don't see the point of a removable battery, a battery bank does the same thing. I could see the microSD being a pain if you need to use it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler