Hp Pavilion R5 1650 super

Go to solution Solved by Desperate Vet,

Ok HP closed the call center so I decided keep working on it, i remembered I have gaming oc but has a large rtx 2060 super in it thought no way the go will fit or have enough power, well said lets try lord tight fit we are talking 1 centimeter room left and lord the hp has enough power she loaded like a dream clear picture , so I went did all the stuff to make sure drivers windows and all good, said what the heck lets see if its hardware or software out 1650 back in and black screen, pretty definitive gpu broken funny no butns no smell and fans working so must be a logic issue on it, tomorrow ill call HP send it in under warranty have it fixed bad news its broke good news I have a brand new experience and will be able to help others

Prognosis Bad Nvidia Card

This is a long one so I'm sorry. Christmas I bought my son hp r5 1650 super desktop PC. Specs nvidia 1650 super, AmD ryzen 5 3500, windows 10, 512 gb ssd, while trying to play games his games all said he needed to update drivers for his Nvidia like smart person he waited tell he was forced to. 30% in screen went black normal as often it resets things, while later screen still black, he could hear friends so his oc was still on, and monitor did not give him no video input so he is receiving some level of input just not proper input.so he calls dad up (me) dads a tech and dads really good with computers dads been working on them since commodore 64c, so we go through basics switch cables, switch hdmi ports on noth monitor and PC test plantation on hdmi ports working, we get more technical. He did do a recovery night before and worked roughly 20 minutes, so I was ok old pcs sometimes hated the recovery then add drivers back issue I thought keta do another recovery but no network just enough to get display so we can fix it, oh PC wasn't having it. Ho splash screen doesn't always appear hitting escape tends to give black screen, attempting to go startup commands black screen, like Oprah there were black screens for everyone, so I'm like ok let's do his tech and redo bios. Heck says you can even do it without display hit f10 for about 8 seconds then down 3 times enter twice and nope nothing, try again lord yes we can see the bios hit down 3 times pow now white screen, get in again after while gonna do data power management get in go right and pow white screen,. So hell let's do bios flash, who says hold windows and b key then power key hold power 3ish seconds you heat beeps, then let go of windows n b key, we hear it but dang it black screen so can't see what prompts need to be hit. We didnt remove anything as I live 86 miles away, he will be here Friday and before I touch anything I will remove and reset cards memory so forth. I wanted to try onboard graphics and he did plug in hdmi but sadly hp has it disabled as monitor said no input video, I was hoping to get any ideas before Friday I may have missed I am a according to VA homeless vet, disabled and been out of work since last April so i don't have lot of money which is why when he asked for gaming PC i went with the hp it was so much cheaper i wanted to get him an ibuypower but it was 300 more, tools I have including multimeter, tech knowledge i have even A+ certified be as techy as you need ill understand it, time I have being jobless has that effect, but I only have 1 son and he rarely asks for much hey while you at it at LTT you ever need a california job done like review repair i live bear san jose silicon valley you know who to call, sorry for being emotional all and length i tend to be very thotough 

I won't be much help here, but what I can tell you is that the Ryzen 3600 does not have onboard graphics

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I won't be much help here, but what I can tell you is that the Ryzen 3600 does not have onboard graphics

Yeah I figured it was just a hope lol, but it's nice to see a very quick comment maybe there is hope for a solution, thinking If puting recovery in flash but doubt it will work of I can't get it to boot from there 

5 minutes ago, Desperate Vet said:

He did do a recovery night before and worked roughly 20 minutes, 

Could be a broken GPU, I'd suggest opening the case and smelling the GPU. (if it smell like ozone it's busted.
BUT there is good news here: You have a warranty. Call HP tech support and they'll help you diagnose the trouble and start an RMA. 

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Could be a broken GPU, I'd suggest opening the case and smelling the GPU. (if it smell like ozone it's busted.
BUT there is good news here: You have a warranty. Call HP tech support and they'll help you diagnose the trouble and start an RMA. 

Lol, sorry for the laugh I just watched links do the secret shopper I'm so not looking forward to the call, year's ago I worked for go printer call support. And it's on my list when he comes Friday, yeah first thing I am doing is remove the gou and I'm familiar with the ozone smell learned a lot when I was building boards lol, thank you so much for the reply it's nice finding a forum where people actually try

An error in Driver update indicates that your GPU is not stable, try reseating the GPU if you can, same goes for PCIE power cable if it have one. Make sure all other cables are firmly plugged in, as most powersupply to component plugs have a latch.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

Thanks for response and so quickly I will do that Friday and update on the fix, again thank you everybody 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, Pikatchu said:

An error in Driver update indicates that your GPU is not stable, try reseating the GPU if you can, same goes for PCIE power cable if it have one. Make sure all other cables are firmly plugged in, as most powersupply to component plugs have a latch.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:46 AM, Quickstrike said:

Ok peeps finally fit my hand on my sons hp been working on it for few hours now and have some updates, I can hit esc on load up and get the menu, I can get into the system Info system dish and bios from there but not boot device more recovery both go black screen, it is sending a signal because my monitor will say when there is no input, in bios i can fiddle around a bit but after a bit it goes completely white screen, in system diag I can look at few things and do certain checks but it does seem if I do one for video it starts but second later full white screen, I did fully redo bios and clear cmos, i pulled gpu out did a visual and smell test all seems normal.no blow outs or nasty board burn smells, all fans including.gou running and very quiet, power on without gou does post warning light and beeps so recognizes its out, also reseated ram just in case, 

So I believe I've narrowed it down to gpu, but not if it's driver related or physical, being u see it smell no damage and this happened while doing a driver update my thoughts lean towards driver, since it see board most likely but not 100% the slit should be fine sadly only 1 slot so can't test there, only question because I've never seen it done is there a way to update nvidia driver with no display really sucks no onboard graphics such an easy thing to have but im not the engineer just a tech

Well decide why not chat with hp heck still.under warranty , guy starts to help once we dig in a bit and i tell him all the problems he disconnects from chat and doesn't call like he saud he would if chat disconnected not sure if u scared him but guess now I got to do the dreaded phone call where they will probably walke through every step I've done before finally saying send it in

Ok HP closed the call center so I decided keep working on it, i remembered I have gaming oc but has a large rtx 2060 super in it thought no way the go will fit or have enough power, well said lets try lord tight fit we are talking 1 centimeter room left and lord the hp has enough power she loaded like a dream clear picture , so I went did all the stuff to make sure drivers windows and all good, said what the heck lets see if its hardware or software out 1650 back in and black screen, pretty definitive gpu broken funny no butns no smell and fans working so must be a logic issue on it, tomorrow ill call HP send it in under warranty have it fixed bad news its broke good news I have a brand new experience and will be able to help others

Prognosis Bad Nvidia Card