Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have no idea what to do with my Raspberry Pi

Stigs

As I right now, I want to make it a old console emulator...which isn't hard, but I wanted to know if I should use it for something else, because they are good for a lot of things.

I used my Raspberry pi for a webcam server to see who kept going into my room, I've also used it as a minecraft server for 3 people

"I have no idea what to do with my Raspberry PI". Erm....eat it? :lol:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

......tasty

I do wonder why companies name things after food. Maybe they name the product (or whatever it is) after whatever they're eating at the time.

*Tries to think of a name for new product*

*Sees Raspberry Pie*

*Names product Raspberry Pie but drops the "e" so it's not too obvious*

:D

use it as a small HTPC strapped tot he back of your living room TV using XBMC

The Syndicate

I do wonder why companies name things after food. Maybe they name the product (or whatever it is) after whatever they're eating at the time.

*Sees Raspberry Pie*

*Realize after dropping the "e" it is a mathematical symbol

"Hey that worked out pretty well!

*Realize after dropping the "e" it is a mathematical symbol

"Hey that worked out pretty well!

Nice one! :lol: :D

I guess it wasn't so obvious why they dropped the 'e'

Okay, so I think I found the reason as to why Raspberry Pi is named Raspberry Pi. It's not exactly like I thought.

"There is a history of fruit based names in computing, Apple, Apricot, Blackberry, Tangerine, etc.

Rob Mullins one of the trustees came up with Raspberry as it's a friendly fruit and Pi, a reference to Python, came from another trustee Jack Lang."

Quoted from

Pimp My Pi

(http://www.pimpmypi.com/wiki/wikiPage.php?wikiPageID=28&categoryID=1)

run a home automation server.  Also a media center.  I have been running emulators and it's probably one of the best uses for me atm.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

https://arkos.io/

still beta but nice to tinker with

it's a bloody good beta...better than EA's full releases....

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Do you have a coffee machine?

If so something I wanted to try, but didn't because I don't have a coffee machine, is:

Automate a coffee machine to make coffee at specific times, like when you mail it to make you a coffee, or at 8AM in the morning to help you wake up.

I got two USB NES controllers for mine and mostly use it for NES emulation.

These are all some awesome ideas.....no I just need the time to use them.

Make it into a linustechtips spam bot :)))))))))))

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

*Sees Raspberry Pie*

4.4 Kitkat...yummy

My Rig: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 | Enermax ETS-T40 | Strix Vega56 | ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | G.Skill RipjawsX 16gb | RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitors - #1 BenQ XL2411Z #2 BenQ RL2450HT

I'm using mine as a RasPlex client to play movies on my big screen TV.  It is connected to the TV by HDMI and to the network by ethernet (I'd like to try wifi dongle on the Pi for my TVs not near an ethernet).  The Rasplex Pi is being fed movies from a server running Plex Media Server software.  

it works great.  All decoding is performed on the Plex Media Server, while the Pi, running the Rasplex client, is basically just the user interface and menus.  So 1080p and 720p perform great.   This is the advantage Plex has over XBMC I think.  The Plex is a two part setup (server & client), where XBMC is a single server/service and running it on a Pi can kindof choke it's performance at HD.  Plex also has the advantage, having server & multiple clients, to allow for a single repository (the server) and many clients (RasPlex pies).  So I could put a $25 Pi at each big screen in my house, and even some at my friends and other family members house, and they all stream from the one Plex Media Server in my bedroom.

On top of all that, I use my smartphone as  a remote control to control rasplex device, menu, adjust volume, movie playback, pause, rewind,etc.  I don't have to use a big keyboard on the couch or bed to control it.  The phone pairs with the Plex clients that are on the LAN.  If I have multiple plex clients on the same network, then I just choose which one I want to control when I launch my movie.

I'm using mine as a RasPlex client to play movies on my big screen TV.  It is connected to the TV by HDMI and to the network by ethernet (I'd like to try wifi dongle on the Pi for my TVs not near an ethernet).  The Rasplex Pi is being fed movies from a server running Plex Media Server software.  

it works great.  All decoding is performed on the Plex Media Server, while the Pi, running the Rasplex client, is basically just the user interface and menus.  So 1080p and 720p perform great.   This is the advantage Plex has over XBMC I think.  The Plex is a two part setup (server & client), where XBMC is a single server/service and running it on a Pi can kindof choke it's performance at HD.  Plex also has the advantage, having server & multiple clients, to allow for a single repository (the server) and many clients (RasPlex pies).  So I could put a $25 Pi at each big screen in my house, and even some at my friends and other family members house, and they all stream from the one Plex Media Server in my bedroom.

On top of all that, I use my smartphone as  a remote control to control rasplex device, menu, adjust volume, movie playback, pause, rewind,etc.  I don't have to use a big keyboard on the couch or bed to control it.  The phone pairs with the Plex clients that are on the LAN.  If I have multiple plex clients on the same network, then I just choose which one I want to control when I launch my movie.

That is awesome. I may have to try this.