Are ASICs for some currencies or all of them?

ASICs are always specially designed for few tasks, so yeah its usually only 1 currency except on some rare case. If you want a JoAT, get a graphics card. oh wait

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

yeah if you want an asic you need a different one for every algorithm you are mining, there is once for SHA-256 which is primarily BTC but also peercoin, and a couple others and cost about $9k. there is one for EtHash which is only ETH they cost about $7k. not sure if there is any others but its hard to do since altcoins these days are configured to be asic resistant, but that only last as long as engineers take to figure it out when profitability keeps going up for coins like Raven which uses the kapow algorithm

3 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

yeah if you want an asic you need a different one for every algorithm you are mining, there is once for SHA-256 which is primarily BTC but also peercoin, and a couple others and cost about $9k. there is one for EtHash which is only ETH they cost about $7k. not sure if there is any others but its hard to do since altcoins these days are configured to be asic resistant, but that only last as long as engineers take to figure it out when profitability keeps going up for coins like Raven which uses the kapow algorithm

Altcoins don't want to be mined by Asics? Why? To avoid hyperinflation?

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

TL;DR  ASIC bad because it can make a monopoly which is bad, or so stands the logic behind making ASIC resistant algorithms

The origins of ASIC mining (and its resistance), and the threat of computing power monopolies

Take Monero for example. When Bitmain released an ASIC mining machine capable of mining Monero and other CryptoNight algorithm tokens, the Monero community became deeply concerned as it quickly became apparent that the computing power of these mining machines would be way higher than any other mining machine currently in use, thus enabling a monopoly to be formed. To counteract this, the Monero community swiftly decided to change their mining algorithm via a hard fork, to one that incorporates ASIC resistance. The hard fork outcome was widely welcomed by Monero miners and community members. Since the fork, the price of the Monero token has risen sharply (indicating its perceived value) and is widely known as a cryptocurrency whereby GPU mining is still attainable and profitable; something that is considered important to those still viewing cryptocurrencies as a ‘tool for the everyman’, and not another outlet for faceless companies to earn profits from. Further efforts to keep this status-quo have been implemented by Monero’s team. The project announced through social media channels that they will revise their current mining algorithm every 6 months to prevent against new ASIC hardware being developed and implemented, and ultimately, threatening the network.

16 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

TL;DR  ASIC bad because it can make a monopoly which is bad, or so stands the logic behind making ASIC resistant algorithms

The origins of ASIC mining (and its resistance), and the threat of computing power monopolies

Take Monero for example. When Bitmain released an ASIC mining machine capable of mining Monero and other CryptoNight algorithm tokens, the Monero community became deeply concerned as it quickly became apparent that the computing power of these mining machines would be way higher than any other mining machine currently in use, thus enabling a monopoly to be formed. To counteract this, the Monero community swiftly decided to change their mining algorithm via a hard fork, to one that incorporates ASIC resistance. The hard fork outcome was widely welcomed by Monero miners and community members. Since the fork, the price of the Monero token has risen sharply (indicating its perceived value) and is widely known as a cryptocurrency whereby GPU mining is still attainable and profitable; something that is considered important to those still viewing cryptocurrencies as a ‘tool for the everyman’, and not another outlet for faceless companies to earn profits from. Further efforts to keep this status-quo have been implemented by Monero’s team. The project announced through social media channels that they will revise their current mining algorithm every 6 months to prevent against new ASIC hardware being developed and implemented, and ultimately, threatening the network.

This is worse than a monopoly imo. 

The three ASIC machines I have are collecting dust on a shelf at HQ.  RADEON VII's are still great for mining, for me.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

ASICs are usually designed for one algorithm, but you can use them on multiple coins if they share the same mining algorithm.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, Wictorian said:

Generally, ASICs lead to centralization, as they are produced by a handful of small companies and the machines are not generally available to the public. There are also accusations that ASIC manufacturers mine on their ASICs before selling them off.

Take Bitcoin for example. ~ 40% of all the network hashrate for  BTC comes from one region in China (Sichuan). This obviously isn't good for decentralization. While centralization can still occur with GPU mining, it is much harder since GPUs are more easily acquired by laymen. The biggest disadvantage of GPU mining is that GPU mining is significantly more inefficient when compared to ASIC mining.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM