I'm trying to learn how to mine, have a few beginner questions

1. Why is it that after mining on nicehash for an hour or so, when I turn the mining program off, I lose video feed from my GPU to my monitor and have to force a reboot of the PC to get video feed again? Keep in mind that my CPU never got warmer than 50c and my GPU never got warmer than 61c the whole time I mined for nearly 2 hours. 

2. What program do I use to mine bitcoin specifically? I downloaded nicehash because a youtube video says it's good for mining bitcoin, only to find out it mines in mBTC and pays out in BTC. I downloaded easyminer, because a youtube video says it's good for mining bitcoin only to find out it's mining ether. What am I doing wrong, other than trying to use google or youtube to find a bitcoin mining program? I'm using Windows if that helps.

3. I figured out how to find my wallet address if I log into my account at coinbase.com by just going to settings and then clicking on addresses. But how do I find my crypto address on my coinbase app, and the other app called coinbase wallet? I only saw my coinbase app wallet address when I first downloaded/set it up and wrote down the address and phrase words. 

4 minutes ago, Burned_Follower said:

1. Why is it that after mining on nicehash for an hour or so, when I turn the mining program off, I lose video feed from my GPU to my monitor and have to force a reboot of the PC to get video feed again? Keep in mind that my CPU never got warmer than 50c and my GPU never got warmer than 61c the whole time I mined for nearly 2 hours. 

2. What program do I use to mine bitcoin specifically? I downloaded nicehash because a youtube video says it's good for mining bitcoin, only to find out it mines in mBTC and pays out in BTC. I downloaded easyminer, because a youtube video says it's good for mining bitcoin only to find out it's mining ether. What am I doing wrong, other than trying to use google or youtube to find a bitcoin mining program? I'm using Windows if that helps.

3. I figured out how to find my wallet address if I log into my account at coinbase.com by just going to settings and then clicking on addresses. But how do I find my crypto address on my coinbase app, and the other app called coinbase wallet? I only saw my coinbase app wallet address when I first downloaded/set it up and wrote down the address and phrase words. 

1. That is not normal and there is some sort of glitch

2.Nobody mines bitcoin anymore, It's just not profitable, what all of these "bitcoin miners" do is mine other crypto and auto-convert it into bitcoin.

3. I don't know, maybe somebody else can answer

4 minutes ago, Burned_Follower said:

What program do I use to mine bitcoin specifically?

You don't mine BTC on a consumer graphics card, they are nearly not efficient enough to do that. You mine BTC with an ASIC, which are specifically created to mine BTC.

Things like ETH are much easier to mine, relatively speaking, which is why programs like NiceHash let you mine that, they just pay you out in BTC, because no one wants a random 'collection' of coins they have never heard of.

7 minutes ago, Burned_Follower said:

how do I find my crypto address on my coinbase app, and the other app called coinbase wallet?

https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/getting-started/crypto-education/where-is-my-wallet-address

This might help.

I did not respond to your "black screen" issue, because I don't know what's going on there. Maybe the GPU is switching from a 'normal' mode to a compute mode, but is failing to switch back.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Burned_Follower said:

never experienced this

did you apply any OC at all?

6 minutes ago, Burned_Follower said:

you dont mine BTC on GPU anymore, it's not the way to go, that's ASICs' job

you mine alt coins (ETH is the best candidate right now) and trade it for BTC if you wish to get BTC, or you can hold onto ETH

mBTC is just 0.001 BTC, m = milli = one in one thousandth

i dont use coinbase any longer so no comment there

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

cool, thanks! 

The reason for my focus on Bitcoin is because I'm new to the world of crypto and Bitcoin was what I was most familiar with. I was trying to focus just on learning how to mine before I figure out which cryptocurrency to mine since there's a ton of different ones out there. 

as for overclocking, it's a 24gbRTX 3090 so no I didn't apply overclocking. 

Thanks to folks in this forum and another forum i've been asking questions, I know to focus on mining ETH for the time being. My question about that now is: Is easyminer the best program to use for mining ETH or is there a better mining program for ETH?  

2 hours ago, Burned_Follower said:

Thanks to folks in this forum and another forum i've been asking questions, I know to focus on mining ETH for the time being. My question about that now is: Is easyminer the best program to use for mining ETH or is there a better mining program for ETH?  

They're all mostly the same. It'll come down to devfee for the miner and minimum mining payout for the pool. If you want ETH, examples of miners that I used are Trex or PhoenixMiner, both performing similarly. A pool that I used in the past is Ethermine, but now I'm on Binance since pays out more often (only to the exchange wallet though) and I can directly trade it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

What are ya'all's opinion on this video? As I was looking up different ways to mine etherium, I discovered this video and I just finished following all the instructions in the video as an experiment to learn more about mining. The only direction I didn't follow is that instead of making a new wallet in the way the first part of the video said, I just used my ether wallet address that's in my account at coinbase.com: 

The 3090 that I'm using is the ASUS TUF RTX24GB version. And it looks like my average speed is 103.11 mh/s. Is that good or bad? Keep in mind, I have not overclocked anything, because I wanted to see how well my GPU does with stock settings. And so far, my GPU temperature sits at 61c, and occasionally dips down to 60c.

The only thing I don't understand mining this way, is what happens when I close the dos looking box that's showing my work? I know that means my PC stops mining, but do I lose all my work? Only reason I'm asking is because on easyminer, if you exit the mining program less than 120 minutes before you start mining, you lose credit for the work you've done.

Here's another beginner question I have:

I got an gaming PC that I don't use anymore that has an 1080ti GPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, and an i7-8700k. I also have an old laptop(can't remember the spec) that just collects duct in my closet. If I wanted to, could I install mining software in them, have them mine ETH 24/7, but they're both programmed to payout to the same ETH wallet. Is that basically how a mining farm works? I figured if I did that, then I will have built my first mining farm without spending any money except for a slightly higher electric bill next month. 

1 hour ago, Burned_Follower said:

The only thing I don't understand mining this way, is what happens when I close the dos looking box that's showing my work? I know that means my PC stops mining, but do I lose all my work? Only reason I'm asking is because on easyminer, if you exit the mining program less than 120 minutes before you start mining, you lose credit for the work you've done.

Should be fine to do that. What you describe sounds weird to me. Just keep in mind the minimum payout threshold.

1 hour ago, Burned_Follower said:

Is that basically how a mining farm works?

Yes. A 1080 Ti will generate around $3-4 a day revenue currently (roughly yields me a little over 0.002 ETH per day currently at 38 MH/s). They're a bit more finnicky to tune for ETH, however, due to how they work. You may have to overclock core and underclock memory to get optimal hasrates.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB