Rule Suggestion. Miners vs Gamers.

Arika

Currently was have the rule of:

No trolling or flame-bait.

• This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and religious debates

I feel like we need to add Gamers vs Miners into this as a subcategory as well. Every single thread in recent weeks that has had any tiny discussion of the GPU shortage always turns into a Miners Vs Gamers and who is more "moral". 

Normally i would say this discussion is healthy, however, given the opinions I've been reading over the last weeks, it's less of a conversation and more of just endless bickering with neither side having any inclination of accepting the other person's point of view, much like how we banned politics for the same reason.

Every one of these discussion devolves into the same tired arguments

• Miners are bad because environment/Gamers also use lots of electricity, so they are not better. repeat ad nauseum 
  • Miners aren't doing anything good/Gamers aren't doing anything either

I've yet to see anyone actually change their mind or accept the opposing side's opinion in any of these threads, so why even let it continue if it's just going to breed resentment all round, because it's the same people engaging in the same arguments across multiple threads over multiple days.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I would agree. Most of these tend to end up to mud slinging too, and spill over the other threads. Problem is that this would mean every thread about scalper, pricing, shortages etc. would need cleaning and locking.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Problem is that this would mean every thread about scalper, pricing, shortages etc. would need cleaning and locking.

This is one of the things that crossed my mind when I was writing this post, which would be a mammoth task.

A thought I did have, and I don't know how people would react, if the rule was put in place for any new threads from the date of the new rule but any existing threads can continue, at least to some extent. At the very least it would cut down on new threads effectively becoming a duplicate of others and keep it all contained in 1 spot but unfortunately doesn't solve the animosity that is brewing in the community.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

This is one of the things that crossed my mind when I was writing this post, which would be a mammoth task.

A thought I did have, and I don't know how people would react, if the rule was put in place for any new threads from the date of the new rule but any existing threads can continue, at least to some extent. At the very least it would cut down on new threads effectively becoming a duplicate of others and keep it all contained in 1 spot but unfortunately doesn't solve the animosity that is brewing in the community.

The current rules are, imo, more to stop framing from start. And I think they don't need added variations to achieve that. If there would be thread "Gamers vs Miners, fight", it would still be insta-locked because its same as with "PC vs consoles".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I would agree. Most of these tend to end up to mud slinging too, and spill over the other threads. Problem is that this would mean every thread about scalper, pricing, shortages etc. would need cleaning and locking.

At this point, is "Scalpers selling for X" or "Shortages expected to last all year" even really news at all though?

Plus IMO it is possible to discuss scalping and shortages without having an association to miners vs gamers, granted though, the fact it is possible doesn't mean it will or does actually happen.

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I've yet to see anyone actually change their mind or accept the opposing side's opinion in any of these threads, so why even let it continue if it's just going to breed resentment all round, because it's the same people engaging in the same arguments across multiple threads over multiple days.

*raises hand*

In multiple threads I've said that, while I don't see the point to mining I do respect the right for others to do it. Honestly, I don't get the "GPUs are for gamers" argument at all, GPUs are a consumer item and miners are consumers. Its like saying companies buying fleets of cars for their employees are bad because they take cars away from real drivers, total nonsense.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Plus IMO it is possible to discuss scalping and shortages without having an association to miners vs gamers

there's always someone pinning the blame on miners in that kind of thread, it's the natural thing to do

then someone corrects them, then the mud slinging starts

i try to not participate recently but then they have their mouth running, which i can't stand, since it's mostly nonsence because they don't have the sufficient knowledge about that subject.

though (from my skewed point of view, i suppose) it's more of one side defending while the other side is slinging mud, trying to act like the almighty one.

edit: i suppose the solution is to educate them on the subject, which neither of us can do

at least if they're more educated on the subject, there's less spreading of misinformation and more valid criticism

that is assuming they're willing to listen to begin with

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

At this point, is "Scalpers selling for X" or "Shortages expected to last all year" even really news at all though?

Plus IMO it is possible to discuss scalping and shortages without having an association to miners vs gamers, granted though, the fact it is possible doesn't mean it will or does actually happen.

I didn't said it was news. For most who are aware of forums and generally tech world this has been clear as day for months now. Yet there are people asking about shortages weekly. Or posting threads where they claim manufacturers/retailers/suppliers have some conspiracy going on with scalpers/miners. Like:

Which was by the time of my first reply already derailed to gamers vs miners debate, and has continued in that after it (reported for others to clean/lock).

Overall there's so much into this, biggest issues being that people don't seem to understand what some terms mean. Or are too lazy to do their research.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I didn't said it was news. For most who are aware of forums and generally tech world this has been clear as day for months now. Yet there are people asking about shortages weekly. Or posting threads where they claim manufacturers/retailers/suppliers have some conspiracy going on with scalpers/miners. Like:

Which was by the time of my first reply already failed to gamers vs miners debate, and has continued in that after it (reported for others to clean/lock).

Overall there's so much into this, biggest issues being that people don't seem to understand what some terms mean. Or are too lazy to do their research.

Yeah, I'm aware of these kinds of threads, if I see them I try to just avoid them.

I realise my opinion has no weight at all but I do feel like a blanket ban on discussing scalping and shortages runs the risk of collateral damage. There could be perfectly legitimate news topics that get missed because the entire topic is banned.

Its a very tricky problem TBF, I don't envy you mods for having to keep the balance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I 100% agree with this, and these threads often become popular, making threads from people thata ctually need help become less helped I guess

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, I'm aware of these kinds of threads, if I see them I try to just avoid them.

I realise my opinion has no weight at all but I do feel like a blanket ban on discussing scalping and shortages runs the risk of collateral damage. There could be perfectly legitimate news topics that get missed because the entire topic is banned.

Its a very tricky problem TBF, I don't envy you mods for having to keep the balance.

Everyone's opinion has weight in some form or fashion. Not all rules are written, they're just guidelines. There is flexibility for the moderation team to moderate as needed I am sure. Just because things aren't written, doesn't mean that a decision can't be made based on the tone of a thread that its no longer in the best interest and health to keep it going. But I do agree, it is tricky to moderate because there is so much argument from each side of the isle on whos right and wrong and so many people feeling there opinion is the only one and fail to remain open minded to remember its someone else on the other end of that screen name or avatar. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card