[RUMOR]Facebook will reportedly rebrand the Oculus Rift headset and interface

AlexGoesHigh

Facebook commenting on this, instead of a random unnnamed source.

Unsurprisingly, this random rumour seems to be false.

Let's just say the word of FaceBook is worth about as much as the random unnamed source in my eyes. I don't believe in either of them for now.

Also I find this video relevant.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Does anyone play the devils advocate?

How can this be good for VR?

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

it wont

we just need to wait for a big company to make a Great VR headset

maybe from nvidia or microsoft

Microsoft?? Never! They will lock you down even more to their OS and ecosystem. There is a reason why everyone including Valve is trying to take gaming control out from Microsoft's hands.

SteamVR from Valve looks as the only real and open competitor to Oculus now. We can always trust out Lord And Savior GabeN because he never let us down. All hail GabeN.

Microsoft?? Never! They will lock you down even more to their OS and ecosystem. There is a reason why everyone including Valve is trying to take gaming control out from Microsoft's hands.

SteamVR from Valve looks as the only real and open competitor to Oculus now. We can always trust out Lord And Savior GabeN because he never let us down. All hail GabeN.

lock you down in their ecosystem??

what ecosystem lol   they opened a windows store and people went ape shit

u can still download you  OWN stuff and do what you want without interference

Gabe has said time and time again that they wont ever get into the hardware market but we can dream

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I can only hope that facebooks drops it and they buy it back for 1-1.5 billion making them 0.5-1 billion profit to invest :o

Oculus has done its job by raising competition. We can kill it with fire now. Next.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

More like penis in the ass.. but I have to question the legitimacy of this article though.

I loled however when I imagined this girl using Oculus to view her collection of 3d mapped selfies:

702297.jpg

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I still can't understand what can be a real, logical reason behind that...

Everybody calm down. If anything, Oculus doesn't have to worry about funding anymore. Ever. It's facebook. Oculus did a fantastic job of bringing VR mainstream and getting the attention of the big league. Now we just have to wait for anything decent to come out. If its not facebook, then Sony or someone else will. VR just got real IMO 

lock you down in their ecosystem??

what ecosystem lol   they opened a windows store and people went ape shit

u can still download you  OWN stuff and do what you want without interference

Gabe has said time and time again that they wont ever get into the hardware market but we can dream

By ecosystem I meant more like what Kinect is currently. I mean it will be locked down only to DirectX and Windows and probably to Xbox also.

But since Oculus had support for DirectX (Direct3D), OpenGL, also supported many game engines and basically supported everything. This is the kind of openness that I am talking about.

If MS launched a competitor then it would be limited to DirectX, Windows and Xbox and never make to Mac, Linux, Android, etc. This is what I meant by openness.

Same story with Nvidia, they will lock down stuff to their own graphics cards, Nvidia ARM chips and Shield. We need someone like Valve, who treats everyone like equal to change the VR game once and for all. We can at least dream!

Everybody calm down. If anything, Oculus doesn't have to worry about funding anymore. Ever. It's facebook. Oculus did a fantastic job of bringing VR mainstream and getting the attention of the big league. Now we just have to wait for anything decent to come out. If its not facebook, then Sony or someone else will. VR just got real IMO 

Yeah, Oculus doesn't have to worry about funding anymore. It is because no one with bother buying it since Facebook now has control over it.

Yeah, Oculus doesn't have to worry about funding anymore. It is because no one with bother buying it since Facebook now has control over it.

Speak for yourself, I look forward to the cheaper CV1 Rift with custom hardware that the Facebook money will allow.

CV1 was already going to be higher res, lower weight, lower latency, now its even closer to the best version current tech allows.

Nevermind the fact they have more money to invest in to software both AAA and indie titles.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

come on guys!!! all is not lost.........you can now feed your friend's chickens in Farmville in full VR.

-snip-

Yeah that pretty much sums it up in a visual representation of what Facebook is doing to Oculus. I pictured the scene from Human Traffic though:

Oculus to be called "Facebook Glasses"

Why not Facerift? :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

prof of concept gif of facebook UI

xbmzqYp.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

change theme to night theme in lower left corner of the page

thanks

Much info 

I just want my virtual waifus without Facebook watching my every move dammit... Someone better step up and make it happen at least.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Valve does R&D, prototypes and they experiment with porting content to VR... but they were only interested in supporting Oculus. Not in selling their own...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-vr-s-carmack-didn-t-expect-facebook-deal-but-says-oculus-had-to-partner-with-someone/1100-6418645/

Oculus VR’s Carmack didn’t expect Facebook deal, but says Oculus had to partner with someone.

“I spent an afternoon talking technology with Mark Zuckerberg, and the next week I find out that he bought Oculus.”

Creator of Doom and Chief Technology Officer at Oculus VR John Carmack didn't necessarily expect it to be Facebook, but said that Oculus had to partner with someone.

Carmack commented on a post to Anamanaguchi’s Peter Berkman’s blog, which criticized Facebook’s acquisition of Oculus VR. Berkman said he’s worried about Facebook collecting data, creating an “information monopoly,” and the notion that today “companies exist and operate only to be acquired.”

In his response, Carmack said that there is a case for being an independent company like Valve and trying to build a new virtual reality ecosystem like Steam from the ground up. “This is probably what most of the passionate fans wanted to see,” he said. “The difference is that, for years, the industry thought Valve was nuts, and they had the field to themselves. Valve deserves all their success for having the vision and perseverance to see it through to the current state.”

VR, Carmack argues, won’t be like that. “The experience is too obviously powerful, and it makes converts on contact,” he said. “The fairly rapid involvement of the Titans is inevitable, and the real questions were how deeply to partner, and with who.”

He added that he didn’t expect it to be this soon, that he didn’t expect it to be Facebook, and that he could think of other, more obvious companies, but that he believes Facebook sees the “Big Picture.”

“I wasn't personally involved in any of the negotiations,” he said. “I spent an afternoon talking technology with Mark Zuckerberg, and the next week I find out that he bought Oculus.”

In 2000, Carmack founded Armadillo Aerospace, a space tourism startup. On Twitter, Carmack also said that the Facebook deal probably means he’ll give aerospace another shot, but not for several years. “I have divided my focus too much in the past,” he said.

2491603-9952297026-john_.jpg