[RUMOR]Facebook will reportedly rebrand the Oculus Rift headset and interface

AlexGoesHigh

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/26/5549186/facebook-rebrand-oculus-rift-headset

Oculus VR has a new owner, and Facebook may end up molding the virtual reality company's flagship product in its own image. According to a report from the New York Times, Facebook is planning to eventually rebrand the Oculus Rift experience, redesigning the hardware and updating it with "a Facebook interface and logo."

"WE'RE GOING TO CONTINUE OPERATING INDEPENDENTLY."

Though the deal was announced just yesterday, if true, this news already shows somewhat of a change for Facebook, which initially appeared less interested in the hardware side of Oculus. "We view this as a software and services thing," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on a conference call following the announcement, "a network where people can communicate and buy things."

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey, meanwhile, has emphasized that the VR company will remain largely independent despite the acquisition. "Mark does believe in our vision of virtual reality, and we're going to continue operating independently, delivering what we've always wanted to deliver," he told The Verge. No matter what the commercial version of the Oculus Rift looks like, though, one thing is clear: you won't be able to play Minecraft on it.

omg that quote sounds so more like a lie instead, considering this rumor and what MZ says in the second quote -____- i want to punch a baby now because of it jk

edit: found this gif, its what happening to me right now

651.gif

edit2: added rumor to the title to avoid misleading 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Not confirmed yet, hopefully it stays independent 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

"We are proud to be bringing you the technology of the future, the one, the only, virtual reality headset: FAC-u-lus Rift

i can see it now, stalking thru the 3d world hunting for enemies , sneaking up behind the to delivery a killing blow ,, then BAM.... your friends just posted a pic of their cat licking its balls on the bed .....check it out now !!!!

I don't trust Facebook

You're not the only one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I don't trust Facebook

Nobody does. Facebook is just full of middle aged women who have no interest in this kind of technology. It hurts to say this, but it would've been better in the hands of EA, you know, someone who makes games (no mark zuckerberg, farmville doesn't count, no matter how many 40 year old women you have wasting their money on it).

PS: It doesn't mean i want it to go to EA, i just mean, it would've made more sense for EA to buy it.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

They'll probably force an facebook application into there. So like while you are in VR gaming, facebook notifications will pop up... They need a different tech giant to help them out. FB is the wrong one in my opinion. Only time will tell though.

This sucks so much

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Oh my god the WAN show is going to be epic this week. Slick will need those butt wipes for his eyes instead of his ass.

LMFAO!!

I wish gaben had bought oculus in stead. much praise would have been given then.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company,

Nice official source.

I'll believe it when I actually see an official Oculus source show it. For now its just rumours.

I mean even the Verge article states "You won't be able to play Minecraft on it".

There has been MineCrift out for ages, that is still around. An official version maybe not, but the mod has been around for ages, and mods make up the majority of the MC features.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Nice official source.

I'll believe it when I actually see an official Oculus source show it. For now its just rumours.

I mean even the Verge article states "You won't be able to play Minecraft on it".

There has been MineCrift out for ages, that is still around. An official version maybe not, but the mod has been around for ages, and mods make up the majority of the MC features.

thats why i put rumor on the title

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Everything they touch becomes shit! :D

They're like King Midas, just with shit instead of gold.

People can eat shit though...and that's exactly why it's very bad.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

People can eat shit though...and that's exactly why it's very bad.

I think Facebook should eat shit. :D

Google should buy Facebook and shut it down and replace it with G+. :D They're the only onbes that can afford it. As much as i hate both social networks, it would be fun imo. :P

who cares...

I think Facebook should eat shit. :D

Google should buy Facebook and shut it down and replace it with G+. :D They're the only onbes that can afford it. As much as i hate both social networks, it would be fun imo. :P

Foogle+ (derived from fugly)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I hope they stay independent. And if they don't, it looks like our hopes turn towards Sony and their Project Morpheus. 

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Oh lord and savior GabeN, SAVE US FROM THIS OPPRESSION!!!

How could John Carmack let this go through?

I bet he didn't let it happen without much protest, unless he actually believes that this is a good move.

From what I've heard, Facebook has an okay track record with buying things.  They usually just buy companies and reap profit off of them, without changing them drastically.

However, nobody really knows what they are going for with this.

I trust Carmack and the rest of the Oculus team.  I just hope that this doesn't turn to such a terrible fate that we all rightfully think it will.

Hopefully Facebook will stay out of their ideas and just allow them to get to mass production and develop things better.

But we all know that Facebook has to get their foothold in there somewhere.  Whether it is ads popping up while you're playing a game, or notifications popping up in the corner of your vision from Facebook.  Those things would REALLY suck, and completely ruin the VR experience for me.

I hope that all we end up with is just a facebook logo on it somehow, with the real Oculus tech behind it.  I might still buy it at that point.  If it goes much further than that, I'm afraid they've lost a customer.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

1378771793935_zps0df4272e.gif

If they do decide to re-brand it with a facebook type logo.. Then they are quite simply the most idiotic company in the world.

Oculus rift sounds cool. FaceScreen does not.. (there's probably gonna be a "Face" in there somewhere..) And Oculus is already a well known company name.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"