Can my GPU be water cooled easily?

3090 FTW3 Ultra.  Would it be complicated to water cool?  Can it be water cooled at all?

If I don’t water cool the GPU, is making a custom loop for just the CPU an option?  Is that something people do often?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

Yes, it can be easily water cooled. All the major manufactures make blocks for it, EK, Optimus, Bitspower etc... Some are easier than others to install depending on if it has preinstalled thermal pads or not. Personally, I would go with Optimus or EK as my block of choice. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

26 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

3090 FTW3 Ultra.  Would it be complicated to water cool?  Can it be water cooled at all?

If I don’t water cool the GPU, is making a custom loop for just the CPU an option?  Is that something people do often?

Ease depends on our skill level, confidence with hardware and the type you want to do. Soft tubing is easier than hard. Using a kit is easier than piecing something together.

21 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yes, it can be easily water cooled. All the major manufactures make blocks for it, EK, Optimus, Bitspower etc... Some are easier than others to install depending on if it has preinstalled thermal pads or not. Personally, I would go with Optimus or EK as my block of choice. 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Ease depends on our skill level, confidence with hardware and the type you want to do. Soft tubing is easier than hard. Using a kit is easier than piecing something together.

I should clarify what I meant by “easily.”  How do you install a waterblock on a graphics card?  Does the graphics card need to be taken apart at all?

I have no custom cooling experience, and taking apart my new card is something I think I’d be afraid to do.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

17 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

I should clarify what I meant by “easily.”  How do you install a waterblock on a graphics card?  Does the graphics card need to be taken apart at all?

I have no custom cooling experience, and taking apart my new card is something I think I’d be afraid to do.

Yes, you would need to take apart the GPU (essentially strip it down to just the PCB, install new thermal paste on the GPU, thermal pads on VRMs and memory chips, etc). After the card has been waterblocked, you'll need a pump, reservoir, radiator, and tubing.

It can be pretty daunting, so if you're not comfortable taking apart a GPU right now, then custom watercooling might not be for you. 

EDIT to answer your other question: Yes, it's definitely possible to just watercool the CPU (and maybe even add your GPU to the loop later). However, it involves many of the same things that watercooling a GPU requires, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

@lerodemmy - if you take your time and watch a watercooling block install video specific to your GPU you'll have a better idea of your confidence level.

That said, there's a few things to watch out for (I have the EK Vector 3090 FTW3 3080/3090 block & backplate on my 3090 FTW3 Ultra)...

• When taking the card apart, be careful and try not to force or unduly bend the PCB (there's been a number of users who have bricked their cards albeit the jury is still out on who is to blame). Wiggle it about without bending the PCB until you can break the seal formed by the thermal paste/putty.
  • Once separated, disconnect all 3 fan headers and the RGB header found near the top right of the card.
  • Any thermal pads that remain on the PCB should be removed placed where they mate on the cooler or backplate. Place all the screws you removed into a ziploc bag and store the screws and old cooler in a safe place in case it is needed at a later date. 
  • You need to get rid of the thermal putty from the VRMs. The easiest way is to use shop cloths to wipe off the excess and then Isopropyl alcohol and old (soft bristle) tooth brush to loosen the remainder and clean up with shop cloths.
  • If you are installing the EK backplate (the original backplate can work if you drill out a few of the holes on the backplate), check what screws are required to attach it and leave those out for the time being.
  • Install the EK supplied screws to fix the waterblock (taking note to the previous bullet point).
  • For the backplate: (if using EK's version) - cut the thermal pads reasonably precisely and make sure you use the correct thickness pads as per the instructions, not doing so may cause the the PCB to warp when installing backplate.

Hope this helps.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:42 PM, bellabichon said:

EDIT to answer your other question: Yes, it's definitely possible to just watercool the CPU (and maybe even add your GPU to the loop later). However, it involves many of the same things that watercooling a GPU requires, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable. 

What if I got one of those motherboards with a pre-installed CPU waterblock?  Would that make the watercooling process less-involved/easier for a novice?

31 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

What if I got one of those motherboards with a pre-installed CPU waterblock?  Would that make the watercooling process less-involved/easier for a novice?

Not really since you need to remove it to put the cpu in, then you are at the same amount of work as using a regular board and third party block.