Two 120mm case fans to GPU

I want to do this with LED fans and my Asus Strix 970.

But the strix is so freakin' quiet anyways... I mean power to ya with the LEDs, that'd look sick. But the strix is so good looking as is

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

But the strix is so freakin' quiet anyways... I mean power to ya with the LEDs, that'd look sick. But the strix is so good looking as is

Absolutely, I just wish it wasn't so ugly and boring looking lol.

GPU makers need to start putting RGB LED's on GPU's. I can think of more than a few that would look amazing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Absolutely, I just wish it wasn't so ugly and boring looking lol.

GPU makers need to start putting RGB LED's on GPU's. I can think of more than a few that would look amazing.

*cough* Tacky.

213b7a5a6bf0ff87e0ee6046f1c5ca1c.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

*cough* Tacky.

-snip

Tacky when marketing goons try to come up with something they think will sell, especially when they assume our tastes are similar to those of console gamers. I would go with something much more subtle looking, RGB yes, but not lights all over and lit emblems. Just some small accent path lighting around the edge of the card.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What's the lowest percentage setting for the fans?

It depends on the fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I mounted the fans and unfortunately one heat pipe is not covered. I am planning in adding one more fan o elevate them a bit with a spacer so airflow can reach it.

Anyway, I did some testing.

I used two 80mm Noctua redux with max speed at 1800 rpm and the card is an R9 280 dual-x from Sapphire.

Results are amazing in idle. The two fans in the cheap dual x config were so loud at least 1450 and now with the noctuas I achieve very good temps @ 220 rpm. So quiet I Increased rpm to 40% with an ending Almost inaudible pc. Recently, I swapped the PSU fan with a Noctua 140mm fan and I use an SSD as primary drive with other drives turn off when not in use. Great for overnight work with Revit and Autocad, two applications not too heavy on the gpu.

Next, FurMark. With the card overclocked I Achieve maximum of 80 degrees 10 minutes after testing. Not a bad result at all. If I put another fan on the card to cover the heat pipe or improve airflow by adding a 140mm fan on the bottom of the case I think I can get five degrees less. I use the negative pressure config but with an intake fan on the bottom it will give some more stream of air to cool the GPU. My goal was a quieter PC idle and it was reached. Now I'll try to make them cooler. Maybe bigger fans or higher rpm ones would be better. Your thoughts?

PS: Oddly Gpu-z has some peaks in reading rpm speeds. The correct value is max 1850 rpm. 

e03Ehca.jpg

oxJhxkC.jpg

BUvwaiO.png

VvhiXIE.jpg

• 4 months later...

Fun to see that so many of you have tried this and found this thread useful! :)

The dampening material I used was just thick foamy double sided tape.