Are Hard Drives Still Worth It?

James

Buy Intel i9-9900k CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/HbhRWe

Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo V2 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JBBZk1p

Buy Crucial Ballistix RGB 32gb 3200mhz DDR4 RAM (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/QUKyh

Buy Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CBYDdWZ

Buy Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Z14s1l

Buy ASUS PRIME Z390-P (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/td7be

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

We tested modern software running on older storage to see if it can still keep up with ever-increasing file sizes and demand

for OS and latency dependent and need to haves no, for nice to have programs, yes because more GB/$

1 minute ago, Rhebucks said:

for OS and latency dependent and need to haves no, for nice to have programs, yes because more GB/$

it almost feels like the optimal setup is 1 nvme for boot drive and standard programs, 1 nvme + 1 HDD joined/accelerated with StorageMI or similar technology for everything else. I guess you could have a lone HDD for longer term backups but I prefer externals for that personally

Hard drives still serve a few purposes.

They are more economical, better suited to constant writing when speed is not a consideration and more reliable apart from shock/impact damage.

Depends on use case imo. For me, a single M.2 SSD is the way to go considering I just game (Valorant + MSFS), I'm into small form factor and don't want to have to deal with hard drives.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

yes they are, no way I'm paying 100$ a TB to store my video and photos.  I'm much happier with the 6$ a TB for used 3tb drives.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Without even watching the video yet, yes. Absolutely yes. As a boot drive, no way in hell. Get yourself a decent SATA III or NVMe SSD instead, largest size you can afford. Unless you're doing things like editing huge video files or constantly transferring large files across drives (most of the users of this forum are not), a good 4TB SATA III HDD is going to be far more valuable than a 1TB low-end NVMe drive will for the same price.

Just boot off of the best SSD you can afford. If it has room for games and programs, cool. If not, you're going to get more mileage out of a big HDD than you will a 1TB SSD.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I've dropped a HDD before, slipped off the mount bay when I was installing it on a new case and fell on the floor. Case was on the floor itself so the drop was at max... 20cm? 

Dead. Not detected in BIOS, Windows, nada. I had it backed up so all I did was laugh it off, its crazy how fragile they can be.

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

I've dropped a HDD before, slipped off the mount bay when I was installing it on a new case and fell on the floor. Case was on the floor itself so the drop was at max... 20cm? 

Dead. Not detected in BIOS, Windows, nada. I had it backed up so all I did was laugh it off, its crazy how fragile they can be.

really? I've Dropped one onto carpet from about 2-3ft and it was fine. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I personally have a couple of hard drives in my rig. Mainly for bulk storage.
I rarely find myself needing to transfer all that many files at once. So the performance drop there isn't something I mind.

The thing I find important is generally price per GB, and SSDs are frankly just more expensive.

Have been thinking of moving my bulk storage to a NAS, but then my network connection would be the main bottleneck making HDDs plenty fast enough.

In the end, my OS disk is an SSD that houses the OS and anything that insists on living on the C drive. A few things have though been moved to it that really do benefit from the higher speed it offers, other than that, everything is on HDDs.

So from me, yes, HDDs are worth it.
Unless it is a laptop, then SSD every day of the week.... Drive failures due to bumps is a hell I am happy to never have again.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

really? I've Dropped one onto carpet from about 2-3ft and it was fine. 

Yeah, it was also still under warranty so got a new one.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Yeah, it was also still under warranty so got a new one.

I'd put that more on a DOA drive then one that died

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hard drives still have two big things going for it - price and capacity. If you have more than 8TB to store you know how painful SSD pricing is. Even a few short years ago a 2TB SSD was still a thousand dollar affair. And while prices have come down, capacity demands for people continue to grow, so larger SSD's still remain expensive.

I remember when I built my rig I went with 7200RPM notebook drives. I have three 750GB drives in RAID0 to host my steam library. Performance is great, came out far cheaper than a 2TB SSD would have cost in 2016 and I was easy to set up since I had the spare sata ports on my mobo. Of course when I outgrow those 2TB I will most definitely get a single 4TB SSD as a replacement.

Media storage is a completely different type of animal. I have roughly 700 combined Blu rays and DVD's spread across four 8TB SMR drives. But instead of using RAID I use StableBit DrivePool to combine the four drives in software as one big 30TB drive with redundancy in case of a single drive disconnect/failure. It works as well as a RAID5 or RAID0 but without any of the problems those can have, especially Intel's chipset RAID.that has a nasty habit of just dropping the array whenever it pleases (the drives and ports were fine). Streaming media becomes effortless and it's actually my favorite way to watch movies with my laptop over wifi.

The other reason why I like StableBit DrivePool is because it's all done in software, there is no hardware to fail other than the drive itself. And since you can set up redundancy for more than one drive that becomes pretty much eliminated too. CPU usage barely takes a hit, there's no expensive raid controller to spend on, a problem sata port can be dealt with by just switching the drive to another port, and you don't need a separate battery back up module either. You also get to save a precious PCIe slot which on many systems is a big deal. When I had enough of my Intel chipset raid dropping my array all the time I created a second software array using StableBit DrivePool and just copied back my files from my daily backup to the new array. Bye bye Intel!!!

i have a mix of m.2,ssd,hdd and nas,s

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Maybe in a few years if the prices get better I will upgrade to an SSD on my setup, but for now the 7200 rpm HDD gets the job done.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Are hard drives still worth it? I don't even need to watch the video to say this: YES! Price per TB for HDDs is still unbeatable and will remain such for the foreseeable future. And combining them into a RAID setup (whether in your case or via an external enclosure) will still net pretty decent performance as well as capacity, making them a great choice for a large game or media library or on-site backups.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Obviously they are worth it for bulk storage. Anyone running a media server (Plex) is not going to run an all SSD array unless they like burning money.

I have 124TB worth of spinning drive space between my two servers, I don't even want to imagine what that would cost to replace with SSD's.