How long will it take for Oculus to ignore gaming?

minimalist

They were clearly purchased by Facebook because Zuckerberg views it as something for everything...and I guess gaming. All of his comments were about everything BUT gaming though. So clearly Oculus is going to go in a different direction eventually. It sounds like they could be biting off more than they can chew by working with games AND everything else. So how long until they just come out and say they aren't going to be working with game developers and will be focusing on media other pursuits? Or do you think they can handle doing it all?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

2 BILLION dollars in starting money and the shitz ton of more facebook can feed them means they can hire 100 more people to work on whatever they wanna do on the side

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

2 BILLION dollars in starting money and the shitz ton of more facebook can feed them means they can hire 100 more people to work on whatever they wanna do on the side

That's fantastic but as soon as a way for Oculus to become extremely profitable via means other than product sales comes into fruition, and it will, all of that cute talk about working on whatever they want goes out of the window and profit because the main focus.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Facebook and oculus have both said that Oculus is being allowed to operate independently 

I assume they will leave them to develop the tech and market it towards gamers, then use their own team to expand the VR into social interactions and the facebook platform

There is no reason to stop Oculus building and marketing it for gamers if it makes both parties lots of money, and means Facebook and use the tech without having to develop their own

I actually think it could be good for VR as a whole, if it has operation outside of just gaming then i'm all for it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Our savior

pkMjL0o.jpg

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Probably won't ignore gaming. It just that we get to play Farmville on it. Why the hell would Facebook want that?

Probably won't ignore gaming. It just that we get to play Farmville on it. Why the hell would Facebook want that?

But here's the thing, IMO, the uses Mark Zuckerberg mentioned will be considered much bigger than gaming. If one of them takes off what's to say they don't drop gaming and focus on the other things mentioned(classes, sporting events, doctors, etc.)?

Do you think it's possible to develop a VR kit that is usable with everything? Or does it have to be more focused?

Until it happens, and until we see the direction it goes, everyone needs to shutup and wait.  This freak-out BS is getting annoying.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

But here's the thing, IMO, the uses Mark Zuckerberg mentioned will be considered much bigger than gaming. If one of them takes off what's to say they don't drop gaming and focus on the other things mentioned(classes, sporting events, doctors, etc.)?

Do you think it's possible to develop a VR kit that is usable with everything? Or does it have to be more focused?

And your considering Facebook as anything to do with the other things you mentioned? They do social media... The average consumer doesn't need VR to do social media. They would have to team up with a much better company in technology (in my opinion). Who knows what will happen now that it is technically acquired by a social media giant. Also, I was talking about it in terms of gaming (As this thread was too). 

Facebook can diversify. They are thinking massively ahead here, but VR has loads of uses and will most likely be huge in the medium to long term. So even if the Oculus device doesn't take off, if they own the patents on the technology...

And why on Earth would they withdraw from gaming? Unless it's unprofitable of course, which I doubt it would be. The more markets they can get into, the better for them - the more money they make.

Until it happens, and until we see the direction it goes, everyone needs to shutup and wait.  This freak-out BS is getting annoying.

Oh god thank you.

I really find it hard to believe anyone here pays $2000 for anything and then proceed to take a crap on it. This exact same thing happened when Disney bought Marvel and now they're more popular than ever. I know they're different companies but if anything this is shedding more light into Oculus. The fact that VR is being developed and actually has functional kits isn't exactly mainstream knowledge.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |